Amikor ez holdtölte / telihold

Moderator:france-eesti

Maire

Postby Maire » 2007-06-04, 12:35

Can anyone of you tell me if this is correct Hungarian? Someone thanslated this for me in another topic, but he/she was not sure if it is correctly translated like this.

In English this would be: When the moon is full.

Thx
Maire

CoBB

Re: Amikor ez holdtölte / telihold

Postby CoBB » 2007-06-04, 13:04

Maire wrote:Can anyone of you tell me if this is correct Hungarian? Someone thanslated this for me in another topic, but he/she was not sure if it is correctly translated like this.

No, this means 'When this is a full moon'.

Maire wrote:When the moon is full.

I'd say either of these:

Teliholdkor.
Telihold idején.

Both mean 'at the time of full moon'. It is possible to translate it more literally, but it's definitely not something one would say spontaneously:

Amikor telihold/holdtölte van.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Maire

Postby Maire » 2007-06-04, 15:21

Thank you for explaining this Cobb!

greetz Maire

wilsonsamm

Postby wilsonsamm » 2007-06-14, 13:54

how about
»mikor teliholdnak«?

wilsonsamm

Postby wilsonsamm » 2007-06-14, 13:56

I'm thinking of that song, you see

»egy napon, mikor micimackónak,
semmi dolga nem akadt«

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-06-14, 14:14

wilsonsamm wrote:I'm thinking of that song, you see

»egy napon, mikor micimackónak,
semmi dolga nem akadt«

...Eszébe jutott, hogy tenni kéne
valami nagyon fontosat.
Elment tehát Malackához, hogy
meglesse mit csinál, de Malackánál
éppen akkor senkit nem talált...

:D I listened to it again after 10 years or so - the Republic-remix - with adult-mind and there were nearly tears in my eyes.
By the way as in Hungarian there is no "he" and "she" we discussed sometimes if Malacka (Piglet) is a girl or a boy. Once I asked an Italian, as far as I remember he said they use "he" for Piglet. Such a solvation for this long-term problem! :D

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-06-14, 15:21

wilsonsamm wrote:how about
»mikor teliholdnak«?

Not possible. :nope:

Nem lehetséges. :nope:

wilsonsamm wrote:I'm thinking of that song, you see

»egy napon, mikor Micimackónak,
semmi dolga nem akadt«

That’s a possessive construct: Pooh had nothing to do. He’s in no way a time expression. ;)

Ez birtokos szerkezet: Micimackónak semmi dolga nem akadt. Ő semmi esetre sem időkifejezés. ;)

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-06-14, 16:02

Levo wrote:By the way as in Hungarian there is no "he" and "she" we discussed sometimes if Malacka (Piglet) is a girl or a boy.

Hehe, funny, I used to have the same problem with the rabbit (Kani he was just called in Finnish). I was so sure he was a she, but no-one ever agreed with me :P. I just thought it was unbelievable that Roo's boring mother was the only female in the whole freaking group :roll: ;).

Hehe, hassua, minulla oli sama ongelma sen kanin kanssa (nimeltään vain Kani suomeksi). Olin niin varma, että hän oli nainen, mutta kukaan ei ollut samaa mieltä kanssani :P. Minusta oli vain uskomatonta, että Ruun tylsä äiti oli ainoa naispuolinen koko joukossa :roll: ;).

Wetwitzer

Postby Wetwitzer » 2007-06-14, 23:18

"Transszexuális minden férfi,
Transszexuális minden nő,
<...> Ahány ember, annyi nem". :-)

(c) Sziámi, "A Gének Tanácsa"

And on the semi-serious note: the he/she ambiguity is one of the things that attracts me to Hungarian.

És most a "félkomoly" oldalról nézve: az "ő" kétértelműsége az egyik dolog, amely vonz engem a magyar nyelvhez.

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-06-15, 5:28

Kis javítás: transzszexuális.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-06-15, 13:37

Varislintu wrote:
Levo wrote:By the way as in Hungarian there is no "he" and "she" we discussed sometimes if Malacka (Piglet) is a girl or a boy.

Hehe, funny, I used to have the same problem with the rabbit (Kani he was just called in Finnish). I was so sure he was a she, but no-one ever agreed with me :P. I just thought it was unbelievable that Roo's boring mother was the only female in the whole freaking group :roll: ;).

Hehe, hassua, minulla oli sama ongelma sen kanin kanssa (nimeltään vain Kani suomeksi). Olin niin varma, että hän oli nainen, mutta kukaan ei ollut samaa mieltä kanssani :P. Minusta oli vain uskomatonta, että Ruun tylsä äiti oli ainoa naispuolinen koko joukossa :roll: ;).

:D

fjusha

Postby fjusha » 2007-06-15, 14:07

Wetwitzer wrote:"Transszexuális minden férfi,
Transszexuális minden nő,
<...> Ahány ember, annyi nem". :-)

(c) Sziámi, "A Gének Tanácsa"

And on the semi-serious note: the he/she ambiguity is one of the things that attracts me to Hungarian.

És most a "félkomoly" oldalról nézve: az "ő" kétértelműsége az egyik dolog, amely vonz engem a magyar nyelvhez.

Csak egy apróság, de a "vonz engem a magyar nyelvhez" helyett a "vonzó nekem a magyar nyelvben" jobb.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2007-06-17, 12:19

Levo wrote:By the way as in Hungarian there is no "he" and "she" we discussed sometimes if Malacka (Piglet) is a girl or a boy. Once I asked an Italian, as far as I remember he said they use "he" for Piglet. Such a solvation for this long-term problem! :D

In Italian there is only "he" and "she" so everything has a gender, including objects and abstract things... and all adjectives etc have to be "declined", what's the word, accordingly.
When I went shopping with my American friend and we were looking at bags she said "he is cute" referring to a bag, and I had to argue that to me a bag is and always will be a SHE :P
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”