Don't you say espero for I hope?

Mark

elxiquet

Re: espere

Postby elxiquet » 2006-12-05, 0:51

0stsee wrote::P Another one:

Mark

Espere is in "valencian", Espero in "catalan" (same language)

elxiquet

Re: per

Postby elxiquet » 2006-12-05, 0:53

0stsee wrote:Another question is, do you pronounce the R in the word per? How about per a? Do you pronounce the R there?

Mark

In both words R is pronounced. :wink:

Mornaran

Postby Mornaran » 2006-12-05, 11:50

0stsee wrote:Moltes Gràcies, guys!!
Another question is, do you pronounce the R in the word per? How about per a? Do you pronounce the R there?

Yes, it's pronounced, though in some places instead of saying per a people will say "pa" (don't think it's bread :wink: ), a kind of uncorrect contraction (like it's done with "al" or "pel")

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2006-12-05, 14:11

I read aloud the whole second chapter of the book of Romans, and am getting more and more used to it. :wink:

Quin llibre?
:shock:

Mornaran wrote:
Another question is, do you pronounce the R in the word per? How about per a? Do you pronounce the R there?

Yes, it's pronounced, though in some places instead of saying per a people will say "pa" (don't think it's bread :wink: ), a kind of uncorrect contraction (like it's done with "al" or "pel")

Well that's quite slangish and Spanish-sounding to me :wink: I, for one, wouldn't use it. In my case, since I say it as /pəɾa/, and the weakest sound is this "e" (pronounced as a schwa), I'd say /pɾa/ in colloquial speech or when speaking fast.

But in most cases, yeah, final r tends to be dropped. And it's always the case when it comes to infinitives (except in Valencian).
:)

elxiquet wrote:

Oh btw, a little pointless addition about espero. In the Balearic islands they'd say "esper", and in Northern Catalonia (France), "esperi" btw :D Yeah, verb forms have minor variations in the different dialects, but besides some rather isolated quirks, it's manageable.
(And I think you'll come across texts and audio files from Catalonia, in central Catalan, on the internet most of the time anyway)

Good luck with your learning :)

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2006-12-05, 19:50

Guillem wrote:

I read aloud the whole second chapter of the book of Romans, and am getting more and more used to it. :wink:

Quin llibre?
:shock:

La carta del Pau als Romans. És en la Biblia. :wink:

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2006-12-05, 19:54

Guillem wrote:
Mornaran wrote:

Well that's quite slangish and Spanish-sounding to me :wink: I, for one, wouldn't use it. In my case, since I say it as /pəɾa/, and the weakest sound is this "e" (pronounced as a schwa), I'd say /pɾa/ in colloquial speech or when speaking fast.

But in most cases, yeah, final r tends to be dropped. And it's always the case when it comes to infinitives (except in Valencian).
:)

Does that mean you often drop the R in per as well?

Mornaran

Postby Mornaran » 2006-12-05, 19:56

Guillem wrote:But in most cases, yeah, final r tends to be dropped. And it's always the case when it comes to infinitives (except in Valencian).

Not in my town, though. I think it doesn't happen in the province of Castelló (well, maybe in the southern part of the province, but not in the north).

Oh, and if anyone was thinking that I say "pa" instead of "per a", let me tell you I speak very well 8)

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2006-12-05, 19:56

Guillem wrote:
elxiquet wrote:

Oh btw, a little pointless addition about espero. In the Balearic islands they'd say "esper", and in Northern Catalonia (France), "esperi" btw :D Yeah, verb forms have minor variations in the different dialects, but besides some rather isolated quirks, it's manageable.
(And I think you'll come across texts and audio files from Catalonia, in central Catalan, on the internet most of the time anyway)

Good luck with your learning :)

Gràcies Guillem!

I just thought espere had a distinctive conjugation. :)

Mark

Mornaran

Postby Mornaran » 2006-12-05, 20:00

0stsee wrote:Does that mean you often drop the R in per as well?

Not in that case, he meant that final R is usually dropped in hte case of infinitives, substantives, etc (I think it only happens when the last syllable is the one stressed).

But in per it doesn't happen.

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2006-12-06, 14:01

I like using http://dcvb.iecat.net/ that includes the pronunciation in every dialect...

Mornaran

Postby Mornaran » 2006-12-11, 10:13

elxiquet wrote:I like using http://dcvb.iecat.net/ that includes the pronunciation in every dialect...

Hummm, I didn't know it, and I've seen it's very practical, it even includes the ethimology of the word! It's a useful link, and I don't think it's in the links section of the wiki. Maybe we should put it there?

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2006-12-12, 0:28

Mornaran wrote:
elxiquet wrote:I like using http://dcvb.iecat.net/ that includes the pronunciation in every dialect...

Hummm, I didn't know it, and I've seen it's very practical, it even includes the ethimology of the word! It's a useful link, and I don't think it's in the links section of the wiki. Maybe we should put it there?

Yeah :P Go go Alcover Moll :lol:

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2007-02-05, 3:21

elxiquet wrote:
Mornaran wrote:

Yeah :P Go go Alcover Moll :lol:

I'm also a big fan of Alcover's CVB :P... and I know I'm not the only one, it's just too good. A philologist friend of mine can't wait to buy all the volumes hehe

Ah btw, I took this photo in Palma de Mallorca last month:

I'm such a language geek :blush:

Ah, for all you Catalan students:
morí = va morir = died
:) LOL

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2007-02-06, 20:49

Guillem wrote:I'm also a big fan of Alcover's CVB :P... and I know I'm not the only one, it's just too good. A philologist friend of mine can't wait to buy all the volumes hehe

Ah btw, I took this photo in Palma de Mallorca last month:

I'm such a language geek :blush:

Ah, for all you Catalan students:
morí = va morir = died
:) LOL

If u went to Mallorca to visit his house then you are the biggest fan hehehe.

BTW, They use the simple past in oral in Mallorca? I thought it was just used in "l'Horta" (Valencia and surrounding area).

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2007-02-08, 21:32

elxiquet wrote:If u went to Mallorca to visit his house then you are the biggest fan hehehe.

LOL no way... the reason I went to Mallorca was more something like spending some days with a few of my classmates who had invited me there :D I was taking a walk in Palma when I bumped into this interesting sign by chance :P

elxiquet wrote:BTW, They use the simple past in oral in Mallorca? I thought it was just used in "l'Horta" (Valencia and surrounding area).

No, they don't... I guess it's only used to make it sound more formal - that's the same we would do in Catalonia. This tense died out quite a long ago here, this is basically the only context you may find it in.

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2007-02-10, 0:21

Oh I see, it's just I've heard this song from Antònia Font: "Un llapis digué a un pistatxo: Oh yeahhh" I he pensat, a vore si allà també l'utilitzen jejeje

FiliusLunae

Postby FiliusLunae » 2007-02-26, 3:48

Hola a tothom.
Volia saber si hi havia un tema de discussió, on es pot escriure de qualsevol cosa, però clar, en català. De vegades, vull escriure en català, però no conec moltes persones que el parlin. Ja he parlat amb alguns de vosaltres abans... guillem, xiquet. Com esteu?

Podríem parlar aquí en català? :-P

~FILIUS
My Hebrew journey in pictures — http://instagram.com/filius_lunae

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2007-02-26, 3:52

FiliusLunae wrote:
Podríem parlar aquí en català? :-P

Parlo català també
:twisted:
استیسی

Mornaran

Postby Mornaran » 2007-02-26, 12:32

De fet, jo quasi diria que aquest fil del forum ha derivat cap a tema de discussió... El que podriem fer és obrir-ne un de nou, que fos expressament per a parlar, no?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Return to “Catalan/Valencian (Català/Valencià)”