Of all the languages in the world...

Why did you choose to learn Romanian?

My family is of Romanian origin
7%
My (possible) spouse speaks it
6%
I (will) work in Romania
1%
I want to go to holiday in Romania and just want a basic knowledge of the language
2%
Romania simply fascinates me
21%
I am fond of Romance languages
18%
I learn foreign languages for fun and Romanian happened to be one of them
30%
I need it at school
1%
Other
12%

Total votes: 148

bogororo
Of all the languages in the world...

Postby bogororo » 2005-03-29, 14:26

I never actually realized that people are interested in Romanian until I came over this forum. So, please do tell us why!
Last edited by bogororo on 2005-05-27, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2005-04-12, 0:35

Hmm, let's see...

My family is of Romanian origin -- no way
My (possible) spouse speaks it -- I don't think so
I (will) work in Romania -- Probably not
I want to go to holiday in Romania and just want a basic knowledge of the language -- I don't see any place as a holiday place... If I go there, it'll be with a real purpose.
Romania simply fascinates me -- Ha.
I am fond of Romance languages -- Not really... I like French, Romanian, and Italian, but in a way they're boring because they're all the same...
I learn foreign languages for fun and Romanian happened to be one of them -- Maybe, but Romanian was never really on my list of languages to learn until the day I started learning it.
I need it at school -- I wish.

Where's the option for "other"? I chose to learn Romanian because I have the coolest Romanian friend who's leaving in June. She's an exchange student... She kept saying to me: "I wish you knew Romanian so I could explain..." So I wished I knew the language, too, but I never really thought I'd be learning it. I didn't know a single word of Romanian until after I decided to learn the language, and niciodată was all I knew for about ten days before I really started studying. :wink:

I have a class called Academic Decathlon last period with my Romanian friend. After the contest, I thought I could convince my teacher to let me study another language with the idea that it'd help me for the class next year. He convinced himself immediately of just that when I asked him. So, basically, it was decided the moment I casually told my Romanian friend, "You study German, and I'll study Romanian." :D

It's so different to study a language for a friend. I like the language, but I just feel a connection with it. I never had a close friend who spoke French natively or even fluently. It makes the language feel alive somehow... I kind of feel like French is dead for me...
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2005-04-12, 5:42

I used to learn Romanian. But none of your options apply to me. My high school has an exchange program with a high school in Lugoj (judeţ Timiş). Before christmas and easter, the students of my school were asked to fill shoe boxes with little presents, chocolate and the like. And a nice card. Those boxes were then sent to poor Romania. Mine arrived in the family of a high school student who spoke German fluently. We exchanged letters for several years, and she taught me some basic Romanian.

parousia

Postby parousia » 2005-04-13, 23:04

Queen Ehlana wrote:I have a class called Academic Decathlon last period with my Romanian friend.

:shock: A participat şi ea la Academic Decathlon, la competiţia? [Did she also participate in Academic Decathlon, in the competition?]
Pentru cei care nu ştiu ce este Academic Decathlon, iată site-ul: http://www.usad.org/
(Ugh, this sentence may be completely wrong. :( :? ) [For those who don't know what Academic Decathlon is, here's the site...]

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2005-04-15, 2:13

Yes, she did. Is that surprising? :P My favorite team member, of course. She joined late and still made the team... Where would I be without her?

Were you in AcaDec, too? :o

Hey, I have an AcaDec site:
http://www.angelfire.com/psy/acadec

Şi este o pagină despre prietena mea româncă. Plac acea pagină. :twisted:
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

parousia

Postby parousia » 2005-04-20, 12:40

Da, am participat şi eu la Academic Decathlon. Are we geeks, or what? 8)

Apropo, cum se spune "geek" pe româneşte?

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-05-27, 15:37

Sorry, I overlooked this question.

Geek = tocilar ("crammer", a toci = fig. to cram, to learn by heart, toceală = rote-learning)

parousia

Postby parousia » 2005-05-28, 17:40

Marfă.8) Merci, poţi scrie un dialog scurt folosind acest cuvânt, te rog?

[Cool. Thanks, can you write a short dialogue using this word, please?]

Amelia Bedelia

Polls only allow one "yes", and I have a few!

Postby Amelia Bedelia » 2005-06-07, 19:52

My family is of Romanian origin: yes, my great grandmother was a Romanian Jew
My spouse speaks it: I don't have a spouse! And my cats don't speak it.
I will work in Romania: Nope.
I want to go there on holiday: Yes--plans in August.
Romania fascinates me: yes
I am fond of Romance languages: yes
I learn languages for fun: yes
I need it at school: no!

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-06-09, 10:52

Amelia, welcome on board! I and other Romanian native speakers are here to help you with your questions. If you are visiting Bucharest in the summer, give me a PM/E-mail and maybe we could meet!

icx

Postby icx » 2005-08-29, 21:14

Me and my family are of Romanian origin :) . But i hope my spouse will not be. Definately i won't work in Romania, the paying is sh*t even for a genius. And Romania has lots and lots of geniuses [5 kids in my classroom are already super-smart but their future is not so good if they stay here] but many of them change their nationality and forget about their past :) like i will do. I do need it at school. :) I will have 2 huge exams at Romanian Language in the future 5 years. And then i'll flee :D .

parousia

Postby parousia » 2005-08-30, 11:23

nokicx wrote:Me and my family are of Romanian origin :) . But i hope my spouse will not be. Definately i won't work in Romania, the paying [the pay] is sh*t even for a genius. And Romania has lots and lots of geniuses [5 kids in my classroom are already super-smart but their future is not so good if they stay here] but many of them change their nationality and forget about their past :) like i will do [better: "like I will"]. I do need it at school. :) I will have 2 huge exams at ["on Romanian" or "on the Romanian language"] Romanian Language in the future [better: "the next 5 years"] 5 years. And then i'll flee :D .

Chemăm asta "brain drain" ... În care altă ţară ai vrea să fugi?

icx

Postby icx » 2005-08-30, 15:11

Câte greşeli am avut :shock: Mulţumesc de corectare ;)

Evident că în Statele Unite [New York mai exact :D ] :)
Pentru că aproape toţi suntem acolo :) :america:

Rikita

Postby Rikita » 2005-11-07, 16:39

Am votat la "I need it in school" - pt ca am invatat romana la universitate. dar de fapt a trebuit sa invat romana pt universitatea doar pt ca am ales sa studiez filologia romana ca obiectul secundar... si de fapt nu stiu de ce... mi s-a parut interesant limba romana, si pana acum nu mi se pare rau ca am ales sa s-o studiez...

chuff

Postby chuff » 2006-08-19, 5:19

There was a girl.. named Andrea
that I fell in love with..
after three years of unrequited love I decided I would learn her language to see if she might be the least bit interested..
Thus I bought books and such..
Joined roportal.ro and royouth.com...

So the (possible) spouse option.. that one's me.

frank56economicsman

Postby frank56economicsman » 2006-11-07, 4:28

I have two very friendly Romanian neighbors several house from mine who speak very little English. They are my motivators to learn Romanian. I'm also attracted to it by its similarity to spanish since that is my native language. I've been learning english since I was nine and still have a slight accent. [quote]steering is not driving.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-11-10, 0:45

(this is random cos I bumped into this section of the forum by chance) Well I don't learn Romanian but it's quite high in the list of the languages I'd like to learn because I often hear it in Italy as there are so many Romanians and it sounds so good...and one of my best friends from school (not so close a friend these days) is Romanian - she did teach me some little things 10 years ago and I still remember some of those, but I never asked her too much because I wasn't sure she was happy to teach me...
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

frank56economicsman

Postby frank56economicsman » 2006-11-10, 0:55

darkina wrote:(this is random cos I bumped into this section of the forum by chance) Well I don't learn Romanian but it's quite high in the list of the languages I'd like to learn because I often hear it in Italy as there are so many Romanians and it sounds so good...and one of my best friends from school (not so close a friend these days) is Romanian - she did teach me some little things 10 years ago and I still remember some of those, but I never asked her too much because I wasn't sure she was happy to teach me...

I love to teach or share whatever I know. With my Romanian friends we learn from each other, and its so much fun. I probably should have started with Italian but I do not have any Italian neighbors. :-)

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2006-12-14, 21:50

There are a few languages competing to become my next language project, and Romanian is one of them. The reason: I am fond of Romance languages.
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

FiliusLunae

Postby FiliusLunae » 2006-12-15, 0:44

Dminor wrote:The reason: I am fond of Romance languages.

So I'm not alone, huh? 8)

OMG... I've been wanting to post to this forum for like forever. That is actually supposedly why I joined Unilang. Umm... :wink:

~FILIUS
My Hebrew journey in pictures — http://instagram.com/filius_lunae

Return to “Romanian (Română)”