Tongan Language Course

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

ego

Postby ego » 2006-10-22, 18:36

I haven't studied any other Polynesian language but as far as I have read, the double pronouns don't exist in most languages

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-10-23, 14:31

No, I'm not sure of that, Mamo... I can't find any other forms for "I, you.. etc." In the dictionary... Not in the grammar section either :?

Wow, interesting :o Could you please tell me what you mean with
with 'oku .. etc.? :D
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Mamo

Postby Mamo » 2006-10-24, 0:14

Aleco wrote:No, I'm not sure of that, Mamo... I can't find any other forms for "I, you.. etc." In the dictionary... Not in the grammar section either :?

In Tongan, the preposed first person singular changes according to tense, which is marked by 'oku, na'a, te, and kuo.

I found it fascinating that Niuean places pronouns before the verb :shock:. Wow. Could you type out some examples from your Niuean dictionary?

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-10-24, 5:35

Mamo wrote:
Aleco wrote:No, I'm not sure of that, Mamo... I can't find any other forms for "I, you.. etc." In the dictionary... Not in the grammar section either :?

In Tongan, the preposed first person singular changes according to tense, which is marked by 'oku, na'a, te, and kuo.

I found it fascinating that Niuean places pronouns before the verb :shock:. Wow. Could you type out some examples from your Niuean dictionary?

As I said, I just took some words, even though it wasn't correct ;)
But there is a tiny thing I don't understand...
What's an "agent" ? Like here:
Kua kitia e ia e kalahimu
Pr.T. see AG he ART crab
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-11-16, 6:35

Ego...?

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-11-16, 11:43

Aleco wrote:Ego...?

He's "a soldier now" :lol: . He doesn't come here often since he joined the military

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-11-16, 14:36

Ah, OK :P

ego

Postby ego » 2006-11-18, 17:57

Aleco wrote:
Mamo wrote:

As I said, I just took some words, even though it wasn't correct ;)
Pr.T. see AG he ART crab

Yup, I am a soldier now, so you will see me here rarely.

Is this sentence in Niuean?

ego

Postby ego » 2007-10-08, 14:17

'Oku fēfē ho'o ako e lea faka-Niué Aleco? Ko e hā 'oku 'ikai te ke tohi ai ha me'a 'i he leá na heni? Na'á ku toe lau 'eku tohi tongá kotoa pea 'oku ou fie lea ai mo ha taha :?
Mahalo pē 'oku totonu ke tau fai 'a e forum ko iá ko e forum Lea faka-Tonga mo Lea faka-Niue..

lishaoxuan

Postby lishaoxuan » 2008-01-14, 13:22

ego wrote:'Oku fēfē ho'o ako e lea faka-Niué Aleco? Ko e hā 'oku 'ikai te ke tohi ai ha me'a 'i he leá na heni? Na'á ku toe lau 'eku tohi tongá kotoa pea 'oku ou fie lea ai mo ha taha :?
Mahalo pē 'oku totonu ke tau fai 'a e forum ko iá ko e forum Lea faka-Tonga mo Lea faka-Niue..

What does it mean?
Αυτό για μένα είναι Κινέζικα!:lol:
(please correct me if I got this sentence wrong.)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-01-14, 15:39

ego wrote:'Oku fēfē ho'o ako e lea faka-Niué Aleco? Ko e hā 'oku 'ikai te ke tohi ai ha me'a 'i he leá na heni? Na'á ku toe lau 'eku tohi tongá kotoa pea 'oku ou fie lea ai mo ha taha :?

I didn't see this :shock: Sorry! there's no way I would understand this, but I am impressed by the advancements you seem to have made! :D

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-01-15, 8:01

As I said, I just took some words, even though it wasn't correct
Pr.T. see AG he ART crab

An agent is the doer of the action. It specifies who did the action. That e exists in most Polynesian languages.

In Maori, it marks the passive agent.

In Niuean, it is the ergative agent marker, since it overtly marks the subject in the most basic sentence composition.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2008-02-10, 13:24

For those interested, the course in this thread has been formalized into a "for Beginners" course here:

http://dev.unilang.org/course.php?id=to1_en

Erik / Aba
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

liz.taumopeau

Re: Language Course

Postby liz.taumopeau » 2008-09-20, 17:38

Hi my name is Liz Taumoepeau. I am a homeschooling mom of 3 and was looking for free lessons to teach my kids. Unfortunately, being far from the islands and with no readily available resources it makes it hard to teach. I speak/ write and learned Tongan (shoulda kept my books etc) in Tonga when in school but I am still new to homeschooling but would like to put something together in order to at least teach my kids how to speak/ write and learn culture and possibly beyond the common spoken Tongan to the complex linguistics. It is not being taught and quickly lost as the older generations are passing because much of it has been oral- Family history, passing of leas through funerals, weddings, family gatherings. And especially the overseas 2nd generation do not know Tongan, speak or know their culture. Sad, I know but true. I am half married to a full Tongan 2nd generation. My kids are 75% Tongan and I want them to learn their heritage, biological and spiritual heritage. That is why I homeschool. How will they know where they are going unless they know where they are coming from! I live in the US and will not teach US history unless they learn their own history first! I don't want them to learn Spanish yet (secondary at least in California) unless they learn Tongan and German (my other half).

Does anyone know of any other resources? Any Tongans in here?

Atama'i Havai'ian

Postby Atama'i Havai'ian » 2008-09-21, 10:14

liz.taumopeau wrote:Hi my name is Liz Taumoepeau. I am a homeschooling mom of 3 and was looking for free lessons to teach my kids. Unfortunately, being far from the islands and with no readily available resources it makes it hard to teach. I speak/ write and learned Tongan (shoulda kept my books etc) in Tonga when in school but I am still new to homeschooling but would like to put something together in order to at least teach my kids how to speak/ write and learn culture and possibly beyond the common spoken Tongan to the complex linguistics. It is not being taught and quickly lost as the older generations are passing because much of it has been oral- Family history, passing of leas through funerals, weddings, family gatherings. And especially the overseas 2nd generation do not know Tongan, speak or know their culture. Sad, I know but true. I am half married to a full Tongan 2nd generation. My kids are 75% Tongan and I want them to learn their heritage, biological and spiritual heritage. That is why I homeschool. How will they know where they are going unless they know where they are coming from! I live in the US and will not teach US history unless they learn their own history first! I don't want them to learn Spanish yet (secondary at least in California) unless they learn Tongan and German (my other half).

Does anyone know of any other resources? Any Tongans in here?

Sorry. There aren't any Togans here. There are plenty of people here who don't speak any Tongan at all and can help you do nothing. Would you be satisfied with that?

unzum

Postby unzum » 2008-10-14, 22:09

Hi liz.taumopeau.
You could try asking in this forum.
There are a few games for learning vocabulary at Digital Dialects.
Google Scholar has some papers on Tongan, although they are very academic and focus on individual grammar points, not the whole language.

You could also try Intensive course in Tongan which comes with audio CDs. It's got good reviews and looks really useful.

Apart from that I wasn't able to find anything else, but I hope that helps even just a bit!
Learning: [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]yue.Hant[/flag] (hiatus)
Some day: [flag]ko[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]vi[/flag] [flag]km[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ms[/flag] [flag]bn[/flag]
Abandoned: [flag]fr[/flag]
Translations: Balinese lessons & Sundanese lessons

ego

Postby ego » 2008-10-26, 20:43

Hello Liz,

I think the book "Intensive Course in Tongan" is perfect for you. Trust me, it's a great book with much more than lessons

ego

Re: Tongan Language Course

Postby ego » 2013-08-01, 18:41

Α short film in Tongan with English subs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ZX5U6Cl6s

'Ofa Atu

Re: Tongan Language Course

Postby 'Ofa Atu » 2014-05-28, 6:48

Malo mou lelei... kataki 'ae kauu'i talanoa atu ia ko'eni :mrgreen: fakatauange 'oku lelei 'ae me'a kotoa pe mei ho mou taki taha feitu'u fonua.

'Ofa moe hufaki

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”