Translation help

Moderator:france-eesti

Seachdar
Translation help

Postby Seachdar » 2006-09-20, 5:35

Hello. I have part of a poem I would like to be translated into Hungarian. I've looked through my books, but think I might be in a little over my head, so I thought I'd look for help. It's just this:

"Where is my heart? It's in her hands and I love her."

Would anyone be able to help me? Köszönöm!

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-09-20, 19:52

Hol a szívem? A kezében. És szeretem őt.

This is completely genderless, so it works with both he and she.

Ez teljesen nem nélküli, így he-vel és she-vel is működik.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

undrentide

Postby undrentide » 2006-10-11, 5:32

Sziasztok!

I also need help in translation...

=====
Nekem a gmail nem mutatja a Japán karakterek (hiragana, katakana, kandzsi).
Nálad állítsd be az UTF-8-at.
Hátha úgy megjeleníti nálam a karaktereket (írásjeleket).
=====

The background is, recently I'm communicating with a person from Hungary, who is learning Japanese. He does not understand English, so our communication replies on Hungarian (I'm at a very beginner's level) and Japanese (he's also a beginner).

He was using .freemail.hu which does not support Japanese and sent me Japanese text in a file from a Japanese wordprocessor (which I've never heard of, with extention .jce). I can open the file and see Japanese text in it, but it does not support Hungarian, Hungarian text he wrote beside Japanese were all garbled.

I asked him to use gmail, which support all languages since it's default encoding is Unicode (UTF-8). He did and I sent him a text with gmail which consists of Hungarian and Japanese. Then I receive the above message.

Nekem a gmail nem mutatja a Japán karakterek (hiragana, katakana, kandzsi).
For him, gmail does not work with Japanese characters (hiragana, katakana, kanji - these are Japanese alphabets). Is my understanding correct?

Nálad állítsd be az UTF-8-at.
I cannot understand this sentence.
"beállítsd" Could someone explain this word?
I found out that beállít means "to adjust", "to set".
But I don't know the conjugation (-tsd).
Is he saying that I set (the encoding) UTF-8?

I'm totally lost with this one, because I could not find the words "hátha" and "írásjel". Megjelenik means "to appear", but without knowing these two words I cannot tell what's happening at his end.

(I'd like to ask him if his browser can show the Japanese characters when viewing webpages in Japanese. If not, I'd suggest him to install Japanese fonts or to add Japanese language support by adjusting the language support menue in the control panel of Windows XP which he is using. But first I need to know exactly what is the problem.)

Thank you for anyone who can help me with the above.

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-10-11, 9:31

Szia!

First of all, I have to correct the letter a bit:

Nekem a gmail nem mutatja a japán karaktereket (a native wrote this? :shock:) (hiragana, katakana, kandzsi).
Nálad állítsd be az UTF-8-at. (this should be one sentence, with a comma instead of a full stop here)

Let’s see...

undrentide wrote:Nekem a gmail nem mutatja a Japán karakterek (hiragana, katakana, kandzsi).
For him, gmail does not work with Japanese characters (hiragana, katakana, kanji - these are Japanese alphabets). Is my understanding correct?

Literally he says that gmail doesn’t show those characters, but your got it well otherwise.

undrentide wrote:Nálad állítsd be az UTF-8-at.

It’s imperative mood. Verbs ending in -ít have imperative endings starting with s (that’s how the theoretical j is realised). So yes, he tells you to set the encoding to utf-8 on your end (‘nálad’).

undrentide wrote:Hátha úgy megjeleníti nálam a karaktereket (írásjeleket).
I'm totally lost with this one, because I could not find the words "hátha" and "írásjel". Megjelenik means "to appear", but without knowing these two words I cannot tell what's happening at his end.

The word ‘hátha’ means ‘perhaps’ with a hopeful undertone. ‘Megjelenít’ is the active pair of ‘megjelenik’, meaning ‘to display’. As for ‘írásjel’, it’s simply a Hungarian word for ‘character’ (although it’s often used to mean only punctuation marks, but that isn’t mandatory).

undrentide wrote:(I'd like to ask him if his browser can show the Japanese characters when viewing webpages in Japanese. If not, I'd suggest him to install Japanese fonts or to add Japanese language support by adjusting the language support menue in the control panel of Windows XP which he is using. But first I need to know exactly what is the problem.)

I’d write something like this:

Megjeleníti a böngésződ a japán karaktereket, mikor japán oldalakat nézel? Ha nem, akkor telepítened kéne egy japán fontot (ha viszont van nálad Office, az mindenképpen feltesz egy Unicode betűtípust), vagy beállítani a japán nyelv támogatását (Vezérlőpult, Területi és nyelvi beállítások, azon belül a Nyelvek fül). Ha Internet Explorert használsz, mindenekelőtt próbálkozz Firefoxszal! De először tudnom kellene, mi is pontosan a probléma.

Translation:

Does your browser display Japanese characters when you’re looking at Japanese websites? If not, then you should install a Japanese font (on the other hand, if you have Office, it installs a Unicode font in any case), or enable Japanese language support (path to the option in the Hungarian XP). If you use IE, try FF before all. But first I’d need to know what exactly the problem is.

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

undrentide

Postby undrentide » 2006-10-11, 20:13

Szia CoBB!

CoBB wrote:First of all, I have to correct the letter a bit:

Nekem a gmail nem mutatja a japán karaktereket (a native wrote this? :shock:) (hiragana, katakana, kandzsi).
Nálad állítsd be az UTF-8-at. (this should be one sentence, with a comma instead of a full stop here)

Oh, I see. Yes, the letter I quoted was written by a native - I just copied & pasted it... :roll:

CoBB wrote:Let’s see...

undrentide wrote:Nekem a gmail nem mutatja a Japán karakterek (hiragana, katakana, kandzsi).

Literally he says that gmail doesn’t show those characters, but your got it well otherwise.

I see. :)
(I seem to have checked the word incorrectly, "mutat" is the original form of mutatja...)

CoBB wrote:
undrentide wrote:Nálad állítsd be az UTF-8-at.

It’s imperative mood. Verbs ending in -ít have imperative endings starting with s (that’s how the theoretical j is realised). So yes, he tells you to set the encoding to utf-8 on your end (‘nálad’).

Thank you for explanation! I always have a problem with conjugation, imperative in particular. I have to study it more... :oops:

CoBB wrote:
undrentide wrote:Hátha úgy megjeleníti nálam a karaktereket (írásjeleket).

The word ‘hátha’ means ‘perhaps’ with a hopeful undertone. ‘Megjelenít’ is the active pair of ‘megjelenik’, meaning ‘to display’. As for ‘írásjel’, it’s simply a Hungarian word for ‘character’ (although it’s often used to mean only punctuation marks, but that isn’t mandatory).

Thank you, the connotation of the word is particularlly helpful.
I found "írásjel" is translated as "punctuation" which confused me. Now it is clear.

CoBB wrote:
undrentide wrote:(I'd like to ask him if his browser can show the Japanese characters when viewing webpages in Japanese. If not, I'd suggest him to install Japanese fonts or to add Japanese language support by adjusting the language support menue in the control panel of Windows XP which he is using. But first I need to know exactly what is the problem.)

I’d write something like this:

Megjeleníti a böngésződ a japán karaktereket, mikor japán oldalakat nézel? Ha nem, akkor telepítened kéne egy japán fontot (ha viszont van nálad Office, az mindenképpen feltesz egy Unicode betűtípust), vagy beállítani a japán nyelv támogatását (Vezérlőpult, Területi és nyelvi beállítások, azon belül a Nyelvek fül). Ha Internet Explorert használsz, mindenekelőtt próbálkozz Firefoxszal! De először tudnom kellene, mi is pontosan a probléma.

Translation:

Does your browser display Japanese characters when you’re looking at Japanese websites? If not, then you should install a Japanese font (on the other hand, if you have Office, it installs a Unicode font in any case), or enable Japanese language support (path to the option in the Hungarian XP). If you use IE, try FF before all. But first I’d need to know what exactly the problem is.

Thank you very much, CoBB, you helped me more than just translation!

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-10-11, 20:25

undrentide wrote:Thank you very much, CoBB, you helped me more than just translation!

Creative translation—I couldn’t help it. :P

Kreatív fordítás – nem tudtam megállni. :P

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2006-11-29, 18:27

Could you help me with this? How is translated to English... ;) Thanks:

szia!...bocsi hogy sokáig nem válaszoltam a hozzászólásodra....ez tök jó...hogy te beszéled a magyart....

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-11-29, 18:33

gothwolf wrote:szia!...bocsi hogy sokáig nem válaszoltam a hozzászólásodra....ez tök jó...hogy te beszéled a magyart....

Hi! Sorry for not answering your post for a long time... This is so cool... That you speak Hungarian...

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2006-11-29, 18:41

CoBB wrote:This is so cool... That you speak Hungarian...

hah...how funny... The problem is that I can't speak Hungarian. I used one or two basic phrases ;)

p.s. Thanks for the translation

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2006-12-03, 13:24

Hi, again...
I really love one Hungarian song but I can't understand the lyrics ;( ... I tried to find a translation but I didn't find anything... So...could you help me :shy:

Omega - "Gyöngyhajú lány"

Egyszer a nap
Úgy elfáradt,
Elaludt mély,
Zöld tó ölén,
Az embereknek
Fájt a sötét,
Ô megsajnált,
Eljött közénk -

Igen, jött egy gyöngyhajú lány,
Álmodtam, vagy igaz talán,
Így lett a föld, az ég
Zöld meg kék, mint rég,
Álmodtam, vagy igaz talán -

A hajnal kelt,
Õ hazament,
Kék hegy mögé,
Virág közé,
Kis kék elefánt
Mesét mesélt,
Szép gyöngyhaján
Alszik a fény.

Igen, él egy gyöngyhajú lány,
Gyöngyhaj azóta rég
Mély tengerbe ért,

Mikor nagyon
Egyedül vagy,
Lehull hozzád
Egy kis csillag,
Hófehér gyöngyök
Vezessenek,
Mint jó vándort
Fehér kövek -

Igen, ébredj, gyöngyhajú lány
Álmodtam, vagy igaz talán
Ránk vár gyöngye mögött
Ég és föld között

Igen, hív, egy gyöngyhajú lány,
Rám vár gyöngye mögött,
Ég és föld között,
---
hehe... p.s. Hungarian is an interessting language :)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2006-12-03, 14:00

gothwolf wrote:Hi, again...
I really love one Hungarian song but I can't understand the lyrics ;( ... I tried to find a translation but I didn't find anything... So...could you help me :shy:

Omega - "Gyöngyhajú lány"

Egyszer a nap
Úgy elfáradt,
Elaludt mély,
Zöld tó ölén,
Az embereknek
Fájt a sötét,
Ô megsajnált,
Eljött közénk -

Így lett a föld, az ég
Zöld meg kék, mint rég,

A hajnal kelt,
Õ hazament,
Kék hegy mögé,
Virág közé,
Kis kék elefánt
Mesét mesélt,
Szép gyöngyhaján
Alszik a fény.

Gyöngyhaj azóta rég
Mély tengerbe ért,

Mikor nagyon
Egyedül vagy,
Lehull hozzád
Egy kis csillag,
Hófehér gyöngyök
Vezessenek,
Mint jó vándort
Fehér kövek -

Igen, ébredj, gyöngyhajú lány
Álmodtam, vagy igaz talán
Ránk vár gyöngye mögött
Ég és föld között

Rám vár gyöngye mögött,
Ég és föld között,
---
hehe... p.s. Hungarian is an interessting language :)

Sorry that I don't translate it now, but I tell only that: Gyöngyhajú lány means "Girl with pearl hair". And my mother was called Pearl-haired girl when she was young :)

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-12-03, 14:10

There’s already a translation here. ;)

Itt van már egy fordítás. ;)

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2006-12-03, 19:26

thanks a lot :praise:

p.s. The another topic is posted by Bulgarian, too... hehe... here, in Bulgaria, we love this song ;) :lol:

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”