Armenian (Հայերեն)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-08-30, 13:05

As this course concerns the Western dialect, which is the main Armenian dialect in Lebanon - I'd definetely use this course when I finish my Italian studies, because, to be honest - this is the first promising W.Armenian course I've seen so far.

Shad shenorhagalem

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-30, 17:36

I'm sorry for being so slow guys; it's hard to gauge 1) if anyone was following this at all, 2) if the information was presented in a methodical manner, 3) if you all know the alphabet now and 4) if i should wait or not to write the next lesson...The next lesson will be posted either tomorrow or Friday - I wish I could do it earlier, but I am up to my ears in schoolwork. :shock:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-08-30, 19:05

Do not rush yourself, aziz :lol:
We can, or at least I can wait. lol

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-10-08, 21:39

Yes, we can wait :lol: 8)

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-10-08, 22:00

Nero wrote:Yes, we can wait :lol: 8)

is it tomorrow or next friday yet? :lol:
استیسی

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-10-08, 22:37

celebrian23 wrote:
Nero wrote:Yes, we can wait :lol: 8)

is it tomorrow or next friday yet? :lol:

Sorry - I do hate to type in Armenian. :twisted: :P I promise to post it by tonight - unless my computer breaks down or something weird like that...BTW, is Celebrian interested in Armenian? :wink:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-10-08, 22:46

erm, NO! People might start to worry about my state of mind if I added a 13th language :D
استیسی

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-10-08, 23:03

celebrian23 wrote:erm, NO! People might start to worry about my state of mind if I added a 13th language :D

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I put up the next lesson just for you. :wink: :twisted: :lol:

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-10-09, 0:18

Lesson 2 (Quite belated, I know...)

This lesson, which is considerably shorter (and less tedious - I hope) than the first lesson will cover the unique system of punctuation. From now on, I will try to make shorter lessons in closer intervals - the last one bored me out of my mind...:lol:

Punctuation:

Completely new marks of punctuation:
-Question mark (placed between the last and the penultimate letters of the question word) Note: It is possible in an Armenian sentence to have both a question mark AND a period! This is indicated by placing the question mark in between the designated letters and placing the period at the end of the question. - The purpose of this is to indicate a) that the clause or clauses are a question and b) to further clarify where the end of the question lies.
՞
-No true equivalent - Short stop, placed in the same spot as a question mark would be; indicates a short pause that is longer than that of a comma, but shorter than that of a semicolon.
՝
-No real equivalent - Interjection Sign, placed between the penultimate and last letter of the interjection
՛
-Abbreviation mark, placed after the last letter of an abbreviated word.
՟
False friends:
-The Armenian period (identical-looking to the colon, however not having the same purpose)
։
-Exclamation point, beware - it looks identical to the traditional ellipsis
-Semi-colon, a false friend of the period
Slightly different:

- used in dialogues and prose when introducing a new character or remark, rarely used as parenthesis also
-
- quotation marks, identical to guillements if you speak French, otherwise it is a slightly different character
« »
Familiar punctuation marks:

-The comma corresponds to the comma used in the Roman alphabet.
-hyphen, identical to the traditional Western hyphen
-
-parenthesis, identical
( )

Although I have proofread this, don't hesitate to ask any questions or point out any errors on my part. There are no excercises for this lesson.

Also, can someone explain to me how to make the writing bigger please, I don't want anyone to go blind. :oops:

Sisyphe

Armenian Music

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-10-09, 1:07

Here is a wonderful armenian music station - it encompases all genres of Armenian music from Armenian Christian chant to folksongs and from classical music to modern Armenian pop. After introducing the Armenian Apostolic Church in another thread in an adequate manner, I will explain the history and instruments of Armenian music in this thread. It would make little sense to explain Armenian Chant - which led to the other genres of Armenian music - without having looked at the Church...Enjoy! ;)

http://www.yerevannights.com/

ego

Postby ego » 2006-10-09, 12:27

There's an Armenian musician called Haig Yazdjian, an oud virtuose and a great singer. He lives in Athens and his music is quite known here. I have his CD "Talar" (truth) and I can say it's wonderful. I think he sings in W. Armenian

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-10-09, 12:40

Thannks for the link - very interesting culture
استیسی

Mert

Postby Mert » 2006-10-09, 13:32

is Garo Mafyan known in Armenia oder by Armenians? He lives in Istanbul and he is a famous musician in Turkey.

besides Onno Tunç was a famous musician in Turkey as well, but he died of the plane accident in 1996.
ه ه
ل
پ

Irrisim

Postby Irrisim » 2006-10-09, 14:01

One of my friends is actually a quite known singer in the Armenian diaspora, Hratch Gaydzagian - he's residing in Lebanon. He has a great voice 8)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-10-09, 23:22

Mert wrote:is Garo Mafyan known in Armenia oder by Armenians? He lives in Istanbul and he is a famous musician in Turkey.

besides Onno Tunç was a famous musician in Turkey as well, but he died of the plane accident in 1996.

The Armenian Diaspora here in North America doesn't think too highly of Garo Mafyan judging by the few instances that I have heard his name mentioned...

One of my friends is actually a quite known singer in the Armenian diaspora, Hratch Gaydzagian - he's residing in Lebanon.

:shocked: :praise: :praise:

I think he sings in W. Armenian

Yes, he does. Armenian music is a monster to understand though... :oops: :wink:

Thannks for the link - very interesting culture

Hope you enjoy it Celeb. :wink:

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-10-09, 23:33

I have no problem with anything here :) 8)

Mert

Postby Mert » 2006-10-10, 5:53

by the way Cher is an Armenian as well. i suppose she is the most famous Armenian singer in the world. :)
ه ه
ل
پ

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-10-10, 10:37

Charles Aznavour? Isabelleee isabellee, isabellee ...
mon a mourrr :lol:

ego

Postby ego » 2006-10-10, 11:40

Arto Tuncboyaciyan, known in Turkey as Tuncboyaci, is a great Armenian composer too. Some of his songs became very famous here when sung by Greek singers. I remember one song "ta kormia kai ta maxairia" (the bodies and the knives) by E. Arvanitaki. He has composed lots of songs for Sezen Aksu too

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-10-24, 17:03

The only Armenian composer I know is Aram Chačaturian and I didn't know he was Armenian until a few months ago! He's probably not that known himself, but his "Sabre Dance" is (probably?/definitely?) known to every Westener.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Return to “Other Languages”