Armenian (Հայերեն)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Nero
Armenian (Հայերեն)

Postby Nero » 2006-08-24, 14:13

Marcus will be so pleased :D

(1st post wooohooo 8) )

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-08-24, 14:15

And this is? Forum '40' :P
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-08-24, 14:30

Marcus wrote:Despite the fact that I love everyone, I really love nettchelobek1 and Hubi right now. *Kisses guys*! :<3: Anyway, if Armenian wins, then do you think we would have a chance at our own forum?! :) I have sooo many ideas! :D :bounce: :burning:

hmmm.....
I think this is the Armenian forum :D

gibbor

Postby gibbor » 2006-08-24, 14:44

Come on Marcus! Tell us all about Armenia and the Armenian language! ;) :P

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-08-24, 14:48

why is this forum here gah it steals the rightful place of welsh as last!
استیسی

Sisyphe

Armenian Course

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-24, 15:37

Well, it looks like we have some support...I think...I hope... :lonely:

Here is the first lesson - there is a lenghty introduction into Armenian, since it is a rather obscure language. Feel free to ignore it if you already know enough about it, etc...

Բարեւ ամեն մեկը՚ու
Welcome to the new Armenian forum!
Introduction and Lesson 1
Note:
Before starting, if you could not read the message written above in Armenian, please download Armenian National Language Support 2.0 at this site : http://www.freenet.am/armnls/

A linguistic sketch of the Armenian Language (Skip to the alphabet if you don’t like history and a short explanation of the grammar, ocabulary and other intricacies about the course):
Armenian is an Indo-European language spoken by approximately 7 million people - a significant amount of these speakers live in Armenia (population of 3 million people) and Nagorno-Karabakh (population of 145 000 and which is a predominantly Armenian-speaking region that is, in fact, a part of Azerbaijan). In these two areas, Armenian is the sole official language. In reality, however, the majority of Armenian speakers do not live in Armenia - rather, they have been scattered throughout the Western World as a result of the Armenian Genocide commited by the Ottoman Turks in 1915 until 1917. It is estimated that 8 million Armenians have been scattered throughout Eurasia and North America - not all of these speak Armenian, of course. Most of the Armenian Diaspora now lives in Iran, France, the United States, Canada, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Lebanon and throughout the Balkan region.

Today there are two distinct dialects of Armenian : Eastern Armenian and Western Armenian - they differ greatly in pronunciation and grammar, but the lexicon of these dialects varies very little. (More information about these dialects, their development and the differences between them will be discussed in further lessons). This course concerns the Western dialect, as the author lives in a country where this dialect is predominant - moreover, all that are interested in these lessons will have more use for the Western dialect with the exception of individuals who live in Iran, Georgia, Russia, Syria, Egypt, Ukraine, Azerbaijan (and of course Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh). American and Canadian users should note that both dialects are used concurrently here - although the Western dialect is predominant.

Armenian is a language isolate - it’s closest relative is the extinct language Phyrgian. The closest related languages to armenian that still survive are Greek and Persian. The Armenian lexicon has borrowed heavily from the Persian language and at one time in history, Armenian was thought to have been a dialect of Persian! Therefore, it is considerably easier for those with prior knowledge in Persian to learn Armenian. This is true to a lesser extent for Turkish and Russian as well, but Turks should note that much of the Turkish vocabulary used in this language was removed after the Armenian Genocide.

Armenian uses a distinct alphabet that is not used by any other language. It has no grammatical gender distinction; as the Ural-Altaic languages and the Indo-Aryan languages, it does not even distinguish between gender in the third person. Armenian uses the basic syntax of SVO and articles (both definite and indefinite) are written after the noun in the Western dialect. The most difficult part of the language is the complex morphology - it will fascinte those who love conjugations and declensions however. There are seven cases in Western Armenian (6 in Eastern): nominative, accusative, locative, genitive, dative, ablative and instrumental. Armenian verbs are inflected for a number of different tenses, moods and aspects.

The Armenian Alphabet:
The Armenian alphabet is commonly theorized to have been based off of the Greek alphabet. It was created in the year 450 AD by Saint Mesrop Mashtots so that the Bible could be translated accurately into Armenian. This lesson will cover the letters, their names and their pronunciation in the Western dialect. Consonants marked (aspirated) should be pronounced with a puff of air as in the Romance languages and unlike most Germanic languages. Ejective consonants are a unique feature of Armenian and other languages in the Caucasus - they are pronounced as described here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejective_consonant . I can offer no better explanation,however,One is certainly understandable, however, if he or she mispronounces these ejectives. I have marked the aspirated as ‘ following a consonant in the transliteration.

Աա-(Letter name)Ayp-(Letter equivalent)A-(as in the English word)bar, car-(as in the French word)par, a
Բբ-Pen-P (aspirated)-paper-pour
Գգ-Kim-K (aspirated)-kite-kermesse
Դդ-tah-T '-to-triste
Եե-yech-YE (E in the middle or end of a word)-yellow-hier
Զզ-zah-Z-zero-zézayer
Էէ -eh-E-let-frette
Ըը-ut-(schwa sound)-utter-le
Թթ-toh-T ‘-too-trop
Ժժ-zheh-ZH-pleasure-jouer
Ւի-ini-I-me-fille
Լլ-liun-L-lilly-lourd
Խխ-kheh-KH- no English of French equivalent; it is the same as Mädchen in German
Ծծ-dzah-DZ-(English anyone? - I don’t know any words like this in English...)-like ‘du’ as pronounced by a Québécois
Կկ-guen-G-good-grand
Հհ-ho-H-heat-no French equivalent
Ձձ-tsah-TS-Its-as in ‘tu’ pronounced by a Québécois
Ղղ-ghad-GH-no English equivalent-roi
Ճճ-jeh-J-join-djinn
Մմ-men-M-mummy-mon
Յյ-hi-H (pronounced Y at the end of a syllable)-hat-no French equivalent
Նն-nu-N-no-nuire
Շշ-shah-SH-shoot-chien
Ոո-vo (o at the middle or end of a word)-vomit-voix
Չչ-chah-CH ‘-church- tchin-tchin!
Պպ-beh-B-baby-bombe
Ջջ-cheh-CH'-china-tchador
Ռռ-rrah-(rolled R as in Spanish perro)-no English equivalent-no French equivalent
Սս-seh-S-sofa-son
Վվ-vev-v-very-votre
Տտ-diun-D-do-droit
Րր-reh-R (an alveolar approximant as in British English)-rare(British)-no French equivalent
Ցց-tzoh-TZ ‘-its-as in Québécois ‘tu’
Ււ-iun-V-avid-verre
Փփ-piur-P ‘-paper-poire
Քք-keh-K ‘-king-kilim
Օօ-o-O-for-or
Ֆֆ-feh-F-fat-fait

Notes and warnings: ու is an important sound combination that is pronounced as ‘oo’ as in ‘cool’ in English and ‘ou’ as in ‘vous’ in French.

Beware NOT to confuse the following:
-pen, tah and zah
-ini,kheh and iun
-guen and vev
-tsah and jeh
-men and noo (EXTREMELY important!!!)
-shah and chah
-vo and rrah
hi, diun and tzoh

Transliteration excercises - Write a transliteration for the following words - also indicate if a consonant is an ejective, rolled, aspirated, etc.

լաւ good ուտելto eat
բառ word լուսինmoon
ընտանիքfamily գիրքbook
օդ air օրէնք law
զէնք weapon յիշել to remember

Attempt to rewrite these words in Armenian script - the object is to get used to the differentiation between sounds that there is no differentiation between in English (not perfection!..yet...):

harmar suitable karzharan school
u(schwa)sik you said orinag example
atorr chair perel to bring

Challenge:

Transliterate the Armenian national anthem - Mer Hayrenik (Our Fatherland)

I bow down and worship the Unilanger that can manage to do this one correctly...
Hint: Don’t forget that the pronunciation of ‘hi’ changes at the end of a syllable. Listen here: http://www.president.am/information/eng/?task=52

Մեր Հայրենիք

Մեր Հայրենիք, ազատ, անկախ

Որ ապրէլ է դարէ դար

Իւր որդիքը արդ կանչում է

Ազատ, անկախ Հայաստան:

Ահա՝ եղբայր, քեզ մի դրօշ,

Որ իմ ձեռքով գործեցի

Գիշերները ես քուն չեղայ,

Արտասուքով լուացի:

Նայիր նրան երեք գոյնով,

Նուիրական մէր նշան,

Թող փողփողի թշնամու դէմ,

Թող միշտ պանծայ Հայաստան:

Ամենայն տեղ մահը մի է

Մարդ մի անգամ պիտ՚ մեռնի,

Բայց երանի՚ որ իւր ազգի

Ազատութեան կը զոհուի:

If there is enough interest, the next lesson will explain the punctuation of Armenian - which is different than any other language, the rules of capitalization and the rules of stress. Thanks guys! :D
Last edited by Sisyphe on 2006-08-25, 6:43, edited 2 times in total.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-24, 16:01

Nero wrote:
Marcus wrote:Despite the fact that I love everyone, I really love nettchelobek1 and Hubi right now. *Kisses guys*! :<3: Anyway, if Armenian wins, then do you think we would have a chance at our own forum?! :) I have sooo many ideas! :D :bounce: :burning:

hmmm.....
I think this is the Armenian forum :D

Good guess Nero - welcome to the Armenian forum! :bounce:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

D39

Postby D39 » 2006-08-24, 17:37

Parev, friends!

Cool that we have an armenian language forum here!!!

BRAVO Admin(s)!!!

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-24, 19:36

celebrian23 wrote:why is this forum here gah it steals the rightful place of welsh as last!

mwhahahahaaha :twisted: :twisted:

Btw, it's good to see Armenian here.

yossi

Postby yossi » 2006-08-24, 20:06

Well, err, we are lots that are interested in Armenian. I saw that in the chat but I don't know what happens. Not many people come to the forum. I was trying to learn some. It's difficult but I like it so I'll give it a try. I just wanted to encourage you guys. At least we have a native speaker here. That's already a lot :)

Courage guys and let's see what we can do
Yosko

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-24, 20:19

yosko wrote:Well, err, we are lots that are interested in Armenian. I saw that in the chat but I don't know what happens. Not many people come to the forum. I was trying to learn some. It's difficult but I like it so I'll give it a try. I just wanted to encourage you guys. At least we have a native speaker here. That's already a lot :)

Courage guys and let's see what we can do

Native speaker?! Where?! :o
I am not a native speaker, so I hope you aren't talking about me - however, I have a lot of Armenian friends who can offer me help and answer the questions that I can't (I'm sure there will be many of these...). :wink:

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-08-25, 2:44

I'll try the song:
Only have an hour though, then g2g :o

Մեր Հայրենիք
Mer Hayrenik

Mer Hayrenik, azad, angakh

Որ ապրէլ է դարէ դար
vor abrel e tare tar

Իւր որդիքը արդ կանչում է
ioor vortike art ganchoem e

Ազատ, անկախ Հայաստան:
azad, angakh Hayasdan:

aha' etpayt kez mi trosh

Որ իմ ձեռքով գործեցի
vor im tserkov zordzetzi

bah g2g. 50 mistakes in that part, though :lol:

zhiguli

Re: Armenian Course

Postby zhiguli » 2006-08-25, 6:02

Marcus wrote:Well, it looks like we have some support...I think...I hope... :lonely:

sure we do...all we need now is some native speakers.

Marcus wrote:Today there are two distinct dialects of Armenian : Eastern Armenian and Western Armenian - they differ greatly in pronunciation and grammar,

and also in spelling. in armenia proper, the spelling was "reformed" and made more phonetic, while western armenians retained the old spelling.
iranian armenians are a special case - they speak with an eastern accent but continue to use the same "mashtots" spelling as western armenian.

Marcus wrote:լավ good

afaik լավ is one such respelling - in western armenian, this would be written լաւ.

Marcus wrote:Ejective consonants are a unique feature of Armenian and other languages in the Caucasus - they are pronounced as described here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejective_consonant . I can offer no better explanation,however, I have marked them as ‘ following a consonant in the transliteration.
One is certainly understandable, however, if he or she mispronounces these ejectives.

the ejective consonants aren't pronounced that way in western armenian, with the result that the two p's, two t's etc are pronounced alike. the consonants marked with a ‘ in the above table are aspirated (in both dialects).

Sisyphe

Re: Armenian Course

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-25, 6:47

zhiguli wrote:
Marcus wrote:լավ good

afaik լավ is one such respelling - in western armenian, this would be written լաւ.

Marcus wrote:Ejective consonants are a unique feature of Armenian and other languages in the Caucasus - they are pronounced as described here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejective_consonant . I can offer no better explanation,however, I have marked them as ‘ following a consonant in the transliteration.
One is certainly understandable, however, if he or she mispronounces these ejectives.

the ejective consonants aren't pronounced that way in western armenian, with the result that the two p's, two t's etc are pronounced alike. the consonants marked with a ‘ in the above table are aspirated (in both dialects).

Thank you for your sharp eyes Zhiguli. :D I should have been more careful with 'lav' as well as explaining the aspirated and ejective consonants. I switched them because of the IPA signs that I unsuccesfully tried to use on Global Writer - but that fell through in the early stages... :oops:

As for Nero, there are very few mistakes in your transliteration - I will get to that tomorrow morning. :wink: Thanks for your support. :D

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-25, 20:51

Nero wrote:I'll try the song:
Only have an hour though, then g2g :o

Մեր Հայրենիք
Mer Hayrenik

Mer Hayrenik, azad, angakh

Որ ապրէլ է դարէ դար
vor abrel e tare tar

Իւր որդիքը արդ կանչում է
ioor vortike art ganchoem e
(yoor) (ganchoum, ganchum or ganchoom)
Ազատ, անկախ Հայաստան:
azad, angakh Hayasdan:

aha' etpayt kez mi trosh
(yeghpayr)
Որ իմ ձեռքով գործեցի
vor im tserkov zordzetzi

bah g2g. 50 mistakes in that part, though :lol:

Great job Nero! Only a few mistakes. If yuo take a look at the easily confused letters again, then it will help you tremendously. :wink: Also remember that 'yech' is pronounced as YE instead of E at the beginning of a word. For example, the capital of Armenia is Երեւան YErevan. :wink:

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-08-27, 1:38

ah cool. The script is really enjoyable to look at. I like it more than these latin letters :lol:

Alejo

Postby Alejo » 2006-08-28, 3:39

Ack. The script is my worst enemy. R and the schwa look so similar :/, well, lowercase.

-Alex

Hiragana doesn't have these annoying capitals >_>

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-28, 4:16

Should I post the next lesson, I wonder... :?

D39

Postby D39 » 2006-08-28, 7:20

Sure, man...

Even though people don't write in this forum... they follow the course. ;)

Let the next lesson come!

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-08-28, 15:44

D39 wrote:Sure, man...

Even though people don't write in this forum... they follow the course. ;)

Let the next lesson come!

I agree. Also, even if people are not interested today, they may be later. So it's always good to have the material here ;)

Return to “Other Languages”