All other languages go here

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Nero
All other languages go here

Postby Nero » 2006-07-10, 23:43

Have you ever wanted a VSL for your language? Of course you have:

Passe-Cale wrote:I would very much love to have a VSL forum for Occitan

Dminor wrote:NAHUATL GOT A FORUM BUT FRISIAN DIDN'T?

Foar handenarbeid fűn ik mysels dochs wol kreatyf genôch! :evil: :evil:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hunef wrote:In any case, Frisian should have its own forum, no doubt.

Nero wrote:To the non-speakers of Klingon - I started this thread because I wanted to ask about making a VSL for Klingon.

Alain T. wrote:I suggest adding a new language, hokkien

Well guess what? Now you can. This space, underneath the list of language forums is for starting threads/courses about languages which don't have their own forum. Even wsz says so:

Not a forum; the forum for all the languages that don't have their own special subforum already exists and is the space that Nero was apparently referring to. Think of it as of a VSL for all other languages.

So have fun :)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-12, 21:02

Armenian! :lol: :D :)
Հայերեն!
ارمنی
Anyone interested?
کسی به زبان آرمانی علاقه دارد؟
"Entanekan Lusankar" - My favourite Armenian song
Էնտանէկան լըսանկառبهترین موسیقی ارمنی
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Zgtggk ... nkar%22%20
Last edited by Sisyphe on 2006-07-23, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-12, 21:08

My favorite armenian song is "Kez Hamar" by Kristine Pepelyan.

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-17, 14:03

I've been always interested in Armenian but I don't think I'll study it in the next year.
By the way, I am really into Zulu lately. I've listened to Miriam Makeba speaking it in some of her songs and it was amazing. Also the click sounds are an exciting challenge! I've ordered Teach Yourself Zulu but I won't have it in the next month :( . Anyone knows online resources?

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-17, 17:36

Here are two sources that you might find useful for isiZulu.
http://www.newt.clara.co.uk/isizulu/index.htm
http://my.cybersoup.com/vusezakithi/english.html
It should be more than enough until your book arrives. :wink:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-07-21, 19:42

hmm...so this is the place...how on earth is anyone going to find it?
but seeing as it's here i might as well start threads for azeri and avar...not because anyone's interested, but because i can...tee-hee

Marcus wrote:Armenian! :lol: :D :)
Հայերեն!
آرمانی
Anyone interested?

interested, but no time for another language right now
btw
it's اَرمَنی*

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-07-21, 20:16

i didn't even know this subforum existed...wierd!
استیسی

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-23, 18:04

I've decided that I want to learn Pashto - the language spoken in Afghanistan alongside Dâri(Persian). Does anyone know of any good websites or books to learn the language?

Thanks,
Sisyphe
Last edited by Sisyphe on 2006-09-21, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-26, 20:36

I ordered TY Zulu (book + CD) today.. I am gonna study it from 3 to 15 August and let's see what I will manage to learn. They say it's tough and since it's agglutinative it must be :?

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-26, 20:40

ego wrote:I ordered TY Zulu (book + CD) today.. I am gonna study it from 3 to 15 August and let's see what I will manage to learn. They say it's tough and since it's agglutinative it must be :?
:waytogo: Go Ego! I'm glad you were able to get hold of the CD also - it's pretty difficult to learn a tonal language where the tones are not indicated without listening to the language. It is a difficult language, but not as hard as isiXhosa IMHO. Let me know if you want to practice here or if you have need of any resounces for any of the Nguni languages. :D

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-26, 21:43

Practice with who? :( This is one of the most discouraging things, I know I won't find anyone to practice Zulu, but anyway..
I have heard others saying Xhosa is harder, although I don't know why.
Perhaps I should go for Xhosa since it uses the clicks more and they fascinate me.. I guess clicks are rare in Zulu?

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-26, 21:48

ego wrote:Practice with who? :( This is one of the most discouraging things, I know I won't find anyone to practice Zulu, but anyway..
I have heard others saying Xhosa is harder, although I don't know why.
Perhaps I should go for Xhosa since it uses the clicks more and they fascinate me.. I guess clicks are rare in Zulu?

We can practice together if you want. :wink:
From experience, I can say that isiXhosa is more difficult - it is largely a matter of pronunciation. isiXhosa has 18 clicks, I believe, while isizulu has 12. It doesn'T sound like many more, but trying to produce them with the right volume, voiced or unvoiced, nasalized or not, etc... and you will see that it makes a great difference - especially in quick speech. :wink:

Sisyphe

Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-26, 23:08

One of my favourite pieces of music is the South African national anthem. Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika is a classic example of the extent of multilingualism in South Africa.

The lyrics in isiXhosa(first two lines)/isiZulu(last two lines):
Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika
Maluphakanyisw' uphondo lwayo,
Yizwa imithandazo yethu,
Nkosi sikelela, thina lusapho lwayo.

in seSotho:
Morena boloka setjhaba sa heso,
O fedise dintwa la matshwenyeho,
O se boloke, O se boloke setjhaba sa heso,
Setjhaba sa South Afrika - South Afrika.

in Afrikaans:
Uit die blou van onse hemel,
Uit die diepte van ons see,
Oor ons ewige gebergtes,
Waar die kranse antwoord gee,

in English:
Sounds the call to come together,
And united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom,
In South Africa our land.

Listen to it here:
http://www.capepoint.de/kapstadt/nation ... ne-mp3.wav

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2006-07-27, 0:34

How cool, Marcus! :D I'd like to learn some African language as well (apart from Afrikaans I mean). Maybe I could join you in whichever of them you pick, ego. :P Although it sounds incredibly difficult. I mean, a tonal agglutinative language with 12/18 different clickphonemes..? :shock:

By the way, why aren't the Afrikaans and English parts recorded as well? :hmpf:

Hoe cool, Marcus! :D Ik zou ook wel een of andere Afrikaanse taal willen leren (naast Afrikaans bedoel ik). Misschien dat ik wel met je mee zou kunnen doen met welke je er daarvan dan ook uitpikt, ego. :P Hoewel het wel ongelooflijk moeilijk klinkt. Ik bedoel, een tonale agglutinatieve taal met 12/18 verschillende klikfonemen..? :shock:

Trouwens, waarom zijn de Afrikaanse en Engelse delen niet ook opgenomen? :hmpf:
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-27, 12:33

My book will arrive at around August 1st Δελτα-ελάσσον. You have time!! Clicks seem impossible at first but believe me, when you find the correct position of the tongue they are a piece of cake. Actually they are sounds you have made 100s of times spontaneously, especially as a kid. Distinguishing their nasal, aspirated etc forms of course is another issue.. :roll:
About agglutination it scares me too, but then, Turkish is agglutinative too but very easy. The way Zulu forms tenses (-a---ye- etc) reminds me a lot of arabic and it's not that hard. Anyway, I don't wanna become fluent, I will only study for 15 days as I said, except if the language fascinates me so much and I decide to go on.

If you want to listen southafrican songs, look for Miriam Makeba's songs. She's the most famous Southafrican singer and she sings mostly in Xhosa and Zulu. Some of her songs are very famous worldwide, like the "pata pata" and the "click song". I love the "mbube" ("the lion sleeps tonight") and "kwaZulu" ("Zululand").
Last edited by ego on 2007-09-07, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-07-27, 21:27

Marcus wrote:I've decided that I want to learn Pashto - the language spoken in Afghanistan alongside Dâri(Persian). Does anyone know of any good websites or books to learn the language?

Thanks,
Marcus

go to http://www.eric.ed.gov and search for pashto, books with the .pdf icon are downloadable.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-27, 21:34

zhiguli wrote:
Marcus wrote:I've decided that I want to learn Pashto - the language spoken in Afghanistan alongside Dâri(Persian). Does anyone know of any good websites or books to learn the language?

go to http://www.eric.ed.gov and search for pashto, books with the .pdf icon are downloadable.

There are at least 6 good texts there - but I asked a friend who had learned it where to go. He actually had the texts printed out for me! LOL! Thanks for your reponse anyway, Zhiguli! :D :wink:
Last edited by Sisyphe on 2006-09-21, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-30, 3:43

A very good cultural resource for any learners of Armenian - if anyone else at all...This station is from Glendale - which is in Los Angeles, california. Therefore, you might notice that it is in Western Armenian, at least this is what I hear... :?
http://www.yerevannights.com/

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-31, 21:24

My Zulu book arrived today, I have already studied the first 2 lessons. It has 25 in total though :? It seems to be a quite interesting language. I will tell u more son

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-31, 22:37

ego wrote:My Zulu book arrived today, I have already studied the first 2 lessons. It has 25 in total though :? It seems to be a quite interesting language. I will tell u more son

:good4u:

Return to “Other Languages”