Trying Various Accent

Moderator:JackFrost

Rom
Trying Various Accent

Postby Rom » 2005-11-23, 21:59

I'm surprised of all accents you haven't tried a southern or a New York one. I could be a very good judge of either of those two.

Ok, so I listened to some samples from Kentucky, Georgia, and New York, and decided to try. It seems like the accent in Kentucky is much milder and more similar to my own accent than the accent in Georgia. I also did a NY accent after listening to Rhoda.

New York
Kentucky Southern
Georgia Southern

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-11-23, 22:13

Actually, on the NY one, which is the only one I've listened to, it sounds like Canadian except the instance where you suddenly say "store" with a sort of Brooklyn accent.

I COULD do a NY accent because even though I no longer talk like that, I can still switch into it, but I don't think you could pay me enough to put it up here. haha
Français, Português, Italiano, Nederlands, Español

Future:
Íslenska, Deutsch

Un esprit sain dans un corps sain.

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2005-11-23, 22:28

Hehe, "Ask her to bring these things with her from the STOOOOAA". :P

The first sounds like Obi Wan Kenobi to me. 8) But what do I know about it. :oops:

Gormur

Re: Trying Various Accent

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-23, 23:14

Rom wrote:
I'm surprised of all accents you haven't tried a southern or a New York one. I could be a very good judge of either of those two.

Ok, so I listened to some samples from Kentucky, Georgia, and New York, and decided to try. It seems like the accent in Kentucky is much milder and more similar to my own accent than the accent in Georgia. I also did a NY accent after listening to Rhoda.

New York
Kentucky Southern
Georgia Southern

You should try a Tennessee or Alabama accent. Those are very strong and typical Southern (Deep-South) dialects...I'll try one of them later on.

reflexsilver86

Re: Trying Various Accent

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-11-24, 2:44

Gormur wrote:
Rom wrote:

New York
Kentucky Southern
Georgia Southern

You should try a Tennessee or Alabama accent. Those are very strong and typical Southern (Deep-South) dialects...I'll try one of them later on.

My French conversation teacher is from Tennessee. Better yet, you should hear how lovely the French language is when spoken with a thick Tennessee accent. ;) Oh how I hate that guy...
Français, Português, Italiano, Nederlands, Español

Future:

Íslenska, Deutsch

Un esprit sain dans un corps sain.

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-11-24, 19:22

here's a NY (Brooklyn) accent:

http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?fun ... akerid=121

you make a huge mistake by pronounce the final r. that is mostly dropped in this dialect

"ask her" would be ['æsk ə] or ['æsk hə]

Also remember, that it is common in the Southern accent to pronounce [aɪ] as [ɑ]. thus, "five slabs of blue cheese" would ['fɑv slæbz əv blu tʃiz]

why are you doing this anyway? It seems rather silly to try to "learn" different accents. Doing it for fun is another matter, but "learning" them is kinda ridiculous.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-24, 19:25

Stan wrote:why are you doing this anyway? It seems rather silly to try to "learn" different accents. Doing it for fun is another matter, but "learning" them is kinda ridiculous.

I don't know about Rom, but for me it's just fun and interesting. I won't study them -- I just have an ear for different accents and dialects, since I'm exposed to so many different ones 24-7.

In any case, if someone DID want to in fact make a serious study of different dialects and accents of their language, I don't see what the problem is. Am I missing something?

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-29, 22:39

My rendition....

"Tennessee": http://uploadhut.com/view.php/439008.wav

Comments please....

Return to “English”