Do people still say 'man'?

Moderator:JackFrost

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-27, 14:47

Daniel wrote:My dad always says "For f*ck's sake, man!" or "Oh, f*cking hell, man, for the life of me!" :lol:

For f_ck's sake is used here a lot. I've heard "bloody" and "bloody hell" in Victoria, BC. One of my friends uses it a lot (from Victoria). Victoria is more English than England, or so they say. :wink:

cweb255

Postby cweb255 » 2005-10-31, 5:43

I'm still fond of using man in the sense of, "Man, how dare thee mock my brow?" Or "woman" for women. "Woman, don't make me strike thee." With or without "hey".

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2005-10-31, 8:03

Man, what a question... :lol:

Mabz

Postby Mabz » 2005-11-16, 17:04

Daniel wrote:"Man" is quite common here but "dude" is strictly an American term so it is rarely used here.

My dad always says "For f*ck's sake, man!" or "Oh, f*cking hell, man, for the life of me!" :lol:

"You go, girl" is funny. It is used among feminine gay guys here. "Slap that bitch, you go girl!" :wink:

You never hear 'man' or 'dude' around here, they just conjour up images of Bill an Ted to me! Although only about 60 miles away, in cardif my mate says 'dude' all the time, so it is not necessarily strictly american, although it is influenced from the U.S.

what you said about your dad saying 'man' alot, I reckon thats idiosyncratic to scottish people as all the scots I know use it.

No one would ever go up to a girl and say 'hey girl' round here, it sounds almost confrontational when you say it.

ZombiekE

Postby ZombiekE » 2005-11-16, 19:39

When someone here says "yeeeeeahh" very loudly, sometimes we add "maaaaaaaan" and laugh xD and move our hands as if we were those rap guys.

So I guess "man" is not very popular though we don't use these very often as English is a foreign language.

I usually say "dude" if I am calling a person, and "guy" or "guys" if I am talking about someone else. I rarely use "man".

However, "dude" reminds me of California and somehow US East, too.
Last edited by ZombiekE on 2005-11-22, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Mother tongue: Spanish/Castilian.
Learning: English, French, Chinese.
Got started but put on hold: German, Swedish, Esperanto.
Future: Portuguese (European), Finnish.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2005-11-17, 21:34

Oh, I thought I was going to sound cool to put some 'man' here and there just for fun... though I've done that only once or twice...and only online and together with many smilies... ;)
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Walker, Texas Ranger

Postby Walker, Texas Ranger » 2005-11-21, 14:34

I lived (or almost lived) with a Canadian guy during one semester, and I would often say "Hey, man!" or "What's up, man?", and I don't think he appreciated it as much as I did. He'd almost look a little bothered sometimes, hehe.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-21, 17:29

Walker, Texas Ranger wrote:I lived (or almost lived) with a Canadian guy during one semester, and I would often say "Hey, man!" or "What's up, man?", and I don't think he appreciated it as much as I did. He'd almost look a little bothered sometimes, hehe.

It depends where he came from in Canada. My guess is that he was from Atlantic Canada or the "Far East Coast" where they have their own terms in place of "man" - "hey boy" or "hey boys" (like "hey dudes"). My mom's boss is from Newfoundland, and she says "hey bees" (instead of "hey boys"). I think Cape Breton (the island off Nova Scotia) has a similar way of speaking to Newfoundland...

"Man" isn't really used much at all by native Manitobans (I can't recall hearing many Manitobans use "man" in a sentence). I actually hear things like "hey guys" or "hey dude" more often from Manitobans (Ontario influence, perhaps). "Geeze!" is a popular replacement for "oh, man!" here. "Man" seems most popular amongst British Columbians (at least the ones I know)...I suppose that would follow common logic though -- BC is closer to California.

I'd really like to head out to Atlantic Canada, esp to NB, PEI, NS (Cape Breton esp), NF & Labrador...
It looks like an amazing place.

Sirach

Postby Sirach » 2005-12-22, 10:03

Gormur wrote:"Man" seems most popular amongst British Columbians (at least the ones I know)...I suppose that would follow common logic though -- BC is closer to California.

Yes, t'is true. As a native of British Columbian soil, we use alot of 'man' here in my generation anyways to express ehmphasis on something, which is the normal slang usage.

I usually don't use it, unless I speak to other guys my age and of course, are more familiar to colloquial conversation filled with slang than with the girls I hang out with (which also changes the tone of my own voice to fit the environment).

The trend is mostly hailed to guys, but also to some girls to a lesser extent. My own friend, she and her mother use the 'man' expression alot, especially with each other. Even then, I still find that little expression strange in itself... 'man...' :roll:

Pips

Postby Pips » 2005-12-22, 14:51

I think I tend to use "man", "dude", "guy" quite often. I'll often greet a group of my friends with "Hey, boys."

And then there is the gay equivalent "fag", which we use quite often - but don't let me hear you use it unless you actually are gay, or at least very gay friendly... :x
Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.

Return to “English”