Capital / Capitol

Moderator: JackFrost

Stan

Capital / Capitol

Postby Stan » 2005-11-06, 3:11

I see "capitol" sometimes instead of "capital", so it gets me confused about the spelling

what's the origin of the spelling "capitol" as in "Capitol Hill"
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

MikeL

Postby MikeL » 2005-11-06, 6:18

Capitol < L. Capitolium: the Capitoline Hill in Rome, site of the earliest citadel and also the Temple of Jupiter. Hence to some extent the historical centre of Rome.
Capital < L. capitalis, adj. from caput, capitis, "head"

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2005-11-06, 14:28

Quite often I see americans writing capitol when they mean capital, like "The capitol of Canada is Ottawa". The pronunciation in american english seems very close, to the point of beging undistinguishable to an untrained ear sometimes.
Or maybe it's just that some people confuse them since theit Capitol building is in their capital city. :lol:
Native : [flag]fr-QC[/flag] . . Fluent : [flag]en-CA[/flag] . .. . .. . .Currently interested in : [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Conversant : [flag]es[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag] . . . . . Also studied : [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

Moonshadow

Postby Moonshadow » 2005-11-15, 4:21

Passe-Cale wrote:Or maybe it's just that some people confuse them since their Capitol building is in their capital city. :lol:

That would be my guess.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-15, 23:38

Passe-Cale wrote:Quite often I see americans writing capitol when they mean capital, like "The capitol of Canada is Ottawa". The pronunciation in american english seems very close, to the point of beging undistinguishable to an untrained ear sometimes.
Or maybe it's just that some people confuse them since theit Capitol building is in their capital city. :lol:

Well I know at least here "capitol" and "capital" sound a bit different, but the cot-caught merger hasn't taken over here, and a lot of people dinstinguish these sounds. I have a friend native to Quebec City (Anglophone who speaks French as a second language) and his speech is cot-caught merged. That's interesting if there are some non-merged speakers in Montreal...

Return to “English”