North American Accent in Britain

Moderator:JackFrost

Rom
North American Accent in Britain

Postby Rom » 2005-10-13, 0:52

In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?

Gormur

Re: North American Accent in Britain

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-13, 3:16

Rom wrote:In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?

Which accent would that be?

amoeba

Postby amoeba » 2005-10-13, 3:22

I think most North Americans who travel to Britain come from at least a Middle Class background, so that may effect perceptions. From my experience in the UK the accent isn't regarded as something horrible, at least not overtly.
Last edited by amoeba on 2005-10-13, 3:22, edited 1 time in total.

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-10-13, 4:44

I think you're way too hung up on your North American accent when going to Britain. First, you speak English, it's your native language. You happen to come from North America, you can't help where you're born. Also, as nice as RP and other forms of British speech are, they are not superior to any other accent or dialect of English. So be happy with the fact you're an Anglophone and just go and stop worrying about this stuff. ;)
Français, Português, Italiano, Nederlands, Español

Future:
Íslenska, Deutsch

Un esprit sain dans un corps sain.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-13, 16:02

Exactly. Just make sure to wear your Canadian flag on your backpack and you'll be fine. :lol:

amoeba

Postby amoeba » 2005-10-20, 4:23

Gormur wrote:Exactly. Just make sure to wear your Canadian flag on your backpack and you'll be fine. :lol:

:evil:
Canadians are the only people wear their flags like this, and I find it a little bit annoying. Nobody else does this! I saw some Canadians making fools out of themselves in Europe and it was so shameful to see those flags on them :shock:

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2005-10-20, 5:03

Erm, I don't have a Canadian flag on my backpack, but a flag of Québec. :oops:
Neferuj paħujkij!

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-20, 15:28

amoeba wrote:
Gormur wrote:Exactly. Just make sure to wear your Canadian flag on your backpack and you'll be fine. :lol:

Canadians are the only people wear their flags like this, and I find it a little bit annoying. Nobody else does this! I saw some Canadians making fools out of themselves in Europe and it was so shameful to see those flags on them :shock:

So what? I have a Canadian flag on my backpack too (though it's small). :lol:

Canada rules 8)

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-10-20, 15:43

amoeba wrote:

LOL But are you SURE it was Canadians and not overconcerned Americans that think by placing a Canadian flag on their backpack that they're home-free while abroad?

Because lots of Americans do this and it's very comical, especially when if they were ever asked a question about Canada they'd probably blow their cover/

Future:

Íslenska, Deutsch

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-20, 16:34

reflexsilver86 wrote:
amoeba wrote:

LOL But are you SURE it was Canadians and not overconcerned Americans that think by placing a Canadian flag on their backpack that they're home-free while abroad?

Because lots of Americans do this and it's very comical, especially when if they were ever asked a question about Canada they'd probably blow their cover/

Ah, now you're catching on. :lol: I'm lucky, since my accent always changes. People usually say they can't recognize where I'm from (US, Canada, Europe). And, well, I know quite a bit about Canada now, obviously. :lol: 8)

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-10-20, 16:57

I know a lot about Canada so I could pass... if I had a Canadian accent, which I don't. LOL I mean mine is a relatively neutral American accent (many Floridians' are) but it's definitely not Canadian. But I could pull it off to a foreigner who didn't know any better easier than a New Yorker from the Bronx could. ;)

Future:

Íslenska, Deutsch

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-20, 17:01

The thing is, I get this unconcious habit of speaking like the majority around me, so that now my Canadian accent is, by now, perfect. I guess because I already had the tendency for getting it (my mom's boss is a Newfie, and thought my mom was from Canada when they first met). I have gotten that from Canadians and Americans too. :lol:

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-23, 2:00

Gormur wrote:Ah, now you're catching on. :lol: I'm lucky, since my accent always changes. People usually say they can't recognize where I'm from (US, Canada, Europe). And, well, I know quite a bit about Canada now, obviously. :lol: 8)

I'd be interested in hearing your accent. Can you make an audio sample of it? :D

Jamie*On

Postby Jamie*On » 2005-10-23, 11:06

Personally I like Canadian and American accents. There are no overt associations and people will always understand you.

The Canadian accent is especially cute, especially the ones where people say something like "aboot" - that always makes me laugh.

:)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-23, 23:30

Jamie*On wrote:Personally I like Canadian and American accents. There are no overt associations and people will always understand you.

I beg to differ. :lol:

Jamie*On

Postby Jamie*On » 2005-10-25, 18:01

If you heard some of the accents in Britain you would see what I mean, some are really hard to understand unless you get used to them over time.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-25, 18:40

Jamie*On wrote:If you heard some of the accents in Britain you would see what I mean, some are really hard to understand unless you get used to them over time.

Hiberno-English is one of the most difficult for me to pick up with my ear (at least if it's a very rural dialect or sth).

I'd say the Welsh accent is really pleasant to listen to. :)

Return to “English”