Unilang Language Learning Month - Dutch

Moderator:Aurinĭa

skye

Postby skye » 2005-07-14, 17:27

That's why the plural uses [s] instead of [z].

Thx, Saaropean, but did you mean to say [z] instead of [s].

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-07-14, 21:04

As for the other questions:

skye wrote:3. Does the 3rd person singular zij (she) also have the unstressed pronoun ze?

Yes
4. It says that je (jij) and jullie are informal. SO when exactly do Dutch speakers use these words - in which situations? When is it better to say u?

Usually it is better to say 'u' when speaking with people you don't know, except children, or people that are "higher" than you, like teachers.

5. Possessive pronouns:

is je the possessive pronoun for je and
jouw for jij?

Yes. 'je' is the unstressed version of both 'jouw' and 'jij'.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

skye

Postby skye » 2005-07-14, 21:16

great, thx, it's really nice if someone can answer your questions when you're learning on your own.

Junesun

Postby Junesun » 2005-08-01, 11:01

1. Junesun
2. reflexsilver86
3. bodhisatva
4. mojka
5. Car
6. FNORD, King of Men
7. Rob P
8. skye
9. Geist
10. Ehlana
11. Pierrick18
12. Vinaok
13. Lumijaguaari
14. Myxomatosian
15. Phreaker
16. bogororo
17. ümit
18. JackFrost
19. Cro Magnon
20. Daniel
21. Stephanie
22. Kyr
23. svenska84
24. Fénix
25. Ericn378
26. Schalke81!!!
27. DynaEmu
28. Kanadaeestlane
29. Meowth
30. Melime
31. choriste

How have you all been doing?

I managed to learn 359 words in this month and also quite a bit of grammar and expressions, so I definitely reached the "Obsessee" level I set out for. However, I realise I could have done much more if I hadn't had to work for the World Games for two weeks. It was a fun experience, but I'd spend all my days there, without any chance of studying the course material. Oh and I really like the German course. It introduces a lot of vocabulary at a time and I still think they should provide a vocabulary list for each lesson, but the vast majority of Dutch words are so easy to learn for a German that it doesn't matter how much they introduce.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2005-08-01, 11:23

I have no clue how many words I learned, but I'm sure it's less than 100. It's impossible to accomplish much when not giving something your full attention, and I couldn't. But I think I accomplished my goal of getting an introduction to the language. Now Dutch will always have a place in my heart, right beside chocolade. :lol:

I also learned a little about the Netherlands, which I didn't really know anything about before.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

bodhisatva

Postby bodhisatva » 2005-08-01, 12:32

Junesun wrote:How have you all been doing?

Don't know exactly, but I've definitelly learnt something. :D

Hey, our dutch friends! Is there any progress test?

skye

Postby skye » 2005-08-01, 17:15

Well, I've only been learning occasionally, I learnt a couple of basic phrases and some vocabulary. But I only managed to get through two grammar lessons at speakdutch.nl. :oops: I think I'll continue learning but slowly at my own pace.

So what happens to the thread now, are you going to close it? Where should I post my beginner Dutch questions in the future then?

Kazimer

Postby Kazimer » 2005-08-01, 17:58

I made some progress though not much. I was able to get through the 1st part of the Unilang course :oops: but that was it and I learned about 70 words not in the course. Eventually I'll continue, maybe next summer. For now I'm going to stick with studying French and German. Oh well maybe I'll do better next time and I'd definitely like doing this again. :D

Cro Magnon

Postby Cro Magnon » 2005-08-02, 23:07

It was interesting, but I'm afraid I didn't learn much. I had the usual problems with limited time, forgetting what I'd learned, and quitting after about a week. :(
I don't really speak Esperanto, but I wanted a bilingual sig

Mi ne efektive parolas Esperanton, sed mi deziris dulingva subskribo

Blake

Postby Blake » 2005-08-08, 20:15

Axystos wrote:
4. It says that je (jij) and jullie are informal. SO when exactly do Dutch speakers use these words - in which situations? When is it better to say u?

Usually it is better to say 'u' when speaking with people you don't know, except children, or people that are "higher" than you, like teachers.

As a Belgian, I should add that there are differences between the Netherlands and Belgium with regards to the use of "jij" or "u". Whereas the Dutch will more often use "jij", the Belgians will more often use "u" instead.
Een stem antwoordt: "Dit is het begin" - Zwerm, Peter Verhelst

Blake

Postby Blake » 2005-08-08, 20:20

Queen Ehlana wrote:I also learned a little about the Netherlands, which I didn't really know anything about before.

Congratulations, but you have forgotten about Belgium where 60% of the population also speaks Dutch.

skye

Postby skye » 2005-08-08, 21:41

As a Belgian, I should add that there are differences between the Netherlands and Belgium with regards to the use of "jij" or "u". Whereas the Dutch will more often use "jij", the Belgians will more often use "u" instead.

So both jij and u are a kind of more formal versions? I noticed that there is jij in all of the examples on that website. I was wondering if jij is more often used in written and u in spoken language?

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2005-08-09, 1:12

Congratulations, but you have forgotten about Belgium where 60% of the population also speaks Dutch.

Right. But I can only focus on so much at once. Studying Romanian, I still haven't learned much about Moldova, although I haven't forgotten that country. Studying French, I've only learned a bit about France, Québec, and a few other Francophone countries.

But since you mentioned it, I think I will go and learn about Belgium soon. A country with French and Dutch speakers has to be interesting. :P
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

nickybol

Postby nickybol » 2005-08-12, 18:09

skye wrote:

So both jij and u are a kind of more formal versions? I noticed that there is jij in all of the examples on that website. I was wondering if jij is more often used in written and u in spoken language?

u is formal, you use it when you speak to older people, or people you don`t know, or important people like your teacher, the queen, the docter, etc.

jij is not formal and you use it when you speak to people you know, or younger people, or some people say it to everybody

Belgians say ge/gij (old version of jij/u) a lot, and also they use u a lot more, also not formal

Blake

Postby Blake » 2005-08-15, 20:15

Queen Ehlana wrote:But since you mentioned it, I think I will go and learn about Belgium soon. A country with French and Dutch speakers has to be interesting. :P

And German speakers. Belgium is trilingual.

Blake

Postby Blake » 2005-08-15, 20:16

nickybol wrote:Belgians say ge/gij (old version of jij/u) a lot, and also they use u a lot more, also not formal

This is true, but on the whole (in Belgium, as well as in the Netherlands), people will use "jij" more often. Nowadays even frequently in formal situations (although as a beginner in Dutch, I would not practice this).

It seems to me the "jij" is becoming the only pronoun to refer to the 2nd person singular, like "you" in English.

dirkmath

Postby dirkmath » 2005-08-25, 16:23

But in Antwerpen we always use 'gij/ge' in the spoken language. In the written language we indeed mostly use 'jij' but that's because the teachers in our primary school somehow seem convinced that 'gij' isn't correct Dutch anymore.
But in our region it is still very much alive and not old-fashioned at all.

(but a warning to non-Dutch speakers: you cannot interchange 'jij' and 'gij' because they each have different grammatical rules)

Sander

Postby Sander » 2005-08-25, 17:46

dirkmath wrote:But in Antwerpen we always use 'gij/ge' in the spoken language. In the written language we indeed mostly use 'jij' but that's because the teachers in our primary school somehow seem convinced that 'gij' isn't correct Dutch anymore.
But in our region it is still very much alive and not old-fashioned at all.

(but a warning to non-Dutch speakers: you cannot interchange 'jij' and 'gij' because they each have different grammatical rules)

The use of 'Gij' very much alive in Brabant as well (In the Netherlands) and of course in the church and it is still very common in the bible.

Brabantic grammer is quite complicated as such. :D

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”