Azhong's Writing Practice.

Moderator:JackFrost

azhong
Re: Azhong's Writing Practice.

Postby azhong » 2021-01-14, 3:03

(Thank you in advance for your help.)

I was apprehensive then, my face perhaps turning palpably as pale as the other wizards around the long table, when I heard Voldemort mentioning Potter's continued existence. Some of us stiff and the others fidgety, involuntarily for each of us, all were afraid of being accused and punished. At any rate, Voldemort seemed just speaking more to himself than to us, addressing the slowly revolving body above with a tone which unstably drifted, sometimes thoughtful while sometimes lost in thought.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-15, 5:07

(Thank you in advance for your any assistance.)

Over my father I could see my mother's profile, pretty but quite tense and rigid, looking straight ahead, with her long blonde hair hanging down her back, trying to be as impassive as she could. Beneath the table, however, I saw her long, slim fingers quickly circled the wrist of my father, who, following that signal, slowly drew out his wand from his robes and passed it along to Voldemort. Then, unable to control myself again, I glanced upward at the inert body revolving directly above me, upside down, with its moving image reflecting in the gilded mirror and in the bare, polished long table.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-16, 2:32

(Thank you in advance for your emendations.)

I had evidently got distracted by the inert body revolving above; the next thing I knew, I heard my family name was clearly mentioned and then Voldemort's remaining words, which was helpless to figure out anything specific. On my left I saw my father was cautiously delivering his reply, his hand shaking as he wiped sweat from his upper lip. To his left, meanwhile, I saw my mother, still rigid and impassive, had a stiff nod as her silent echo. Not knowing what to do, I quickly glanced at the table head, averting as from Voldemort's eyes and the huge snake as I could, and then away, terror speeding up my heartbeats.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-17, 3:56

( Thank you in advance for any help you are about to provide.)

The moment Voldemort's scolding paused, I heard a soft voice seem to hiss on. It grew louder and louder, making a few among us barely repress a shudder, while I could feel some slight vibration: beneath the table something heavy was sliding across the floor. And then it appeared at the table head, the huge snake, its head emerging first, where lay the unblinking red eyes with vertical slits for pupils, then its body rising up along Voldemort's chair, seemingly endlessly, of which its neck was the thickness of a man's thigh, and it finally resting upon Voldemort's shoulder. Voldemort stroke it absently with his pale, slim fingers, tilting his head on one side, as considering me with a malicious, constant gaze.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-18, 3:00

(Thank you in advance for your assistance.)

His skin was yellowish and waxy, his eyes, widening maliciously though, sunken and shadowed. A small man with dark, curved hair, so small that his chair seemed unoccupied at first glance, scrambled from his seat and scurried from the room. His long cloak, however, was ornate, flapping around his ankles as he marched, strutting majestically. A squat man, sitting rigidly, his features blunt and twisted, gave a wheezing giggle which was echoed here and there. The female immediately sitting next to his right spoke something then, her voice hoarse yet constricted with emotion, her face blooding, and her eyes welling with tears of delight.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-01-18, 3:27

azhong wrote:(Thank you in advance for your emendations.)

I had evidently got distracted by the inert body revolving above; the next thing I knew, I heard my family name was clearly mentioned and then Voldemort's remaining words, which was helpless to figure out anything specific. On my left I saw my father was cautiously delivering his reply, his hand shaking as he wiped sweat from his upper lip. To his left, meanwhile, I saw my mother, still rigid and impassive, had a stiff nod as her silent echo. Not knowing what to do, I quickly glanced at the table head, averting as from Voldemort's eyes and the huge snake as I could, and then away, terror speeding up my heartbeats.

I had evidently got distracted by the inert body revolving above; the next thing I knew, I heard my family name was clearly mentioned and then Voldemort's remaining words, of which I was helpless to figure out anything specifically. On my left I saw my father was cautiously delivering his reply, his hand shaking as he wiped sweat from his upper lip. To his left, meanwhile, I saw my mother, still rigid and impassive, had a stiff nod as her silent echo. Not knowing what to do, I quickly glanced at the head of the table, averting my eyes from Voldemort's eyes and from the huge snake as much as I could, and then looked away, terror speeding up my heartbeats
[I crossed out "eyes" to avoid awkward repetition, although it's not really incorrect to repeat it.]

azhong wrote:( Thank you in advance for any help you are about to provide.)

The moment Voldemort's scolding paused, I heard a soft voice seem to hiss on. It grew louder and louder, making a few among us barely repress a shudder, while I could feel some slight vibration: beneath the table something heavy was sliding across the floor. And then it appeared at the table head, the huge snake, its head emerging first, where lay the unblinking red eyes with vertical slits for pupils, then its body rising up along Voldemort's chair, seemingly endlessly, of which its neck was the thickness of a man's thigh, and it finally resting upon Voldemort's shoulder. Voldemort stroke it absently with his pale, slim fingers, tilting his head on one side, as considering me with a malicious, constant gaze.

The moment Voldemort's scolding paused, I heard a soft voice that seemed to hiss on. It grew louder and louder, making a few among us barely repress a shudder, while I could feel some slight vibration: beneath the table something heavy was sliding across the floor. And then it appeared at the head of the table: the huge snake, its head emerging first, where the unblinking red eyes lay with vertical slits for pupils, then its body rising seemingly endlessly up along Voldemort's chair, [/b]of which its neck was the thickness of a man's thigh, and it finally resting upon Voldemort's shoulder. Voldemort stroke it absently with his pale, slim fingers, tilting his head on one side, as if considering me with a malicious, constant gaze.
[The word-order changes are to help it flow better, keeping descriptive words closer to what they describe, etc.]

azhong wrote:(Thank you in advance for your assistance.)

His skin was yellowish and waxy, his eyes, widening maliciously though, sunken and shadowed. A small man with dark, curved hair, so small that his chair seemed unoccupied at first glance, scrambled from his seat and scurried from the room. His long cloak, however, was ornate, flapping around his ankles as he marched, strutting majestically. A squat man, sitting rigidly, his features blunt and twisted, gave a wheezing giggle which was echoed here and there. The female immediately sitting next to his right spoke something then, her voice hoarse yet constricted with emotion, her face blooding, and her eyes welling with tears of delight.

His skin was yellowish and waxy, and his eyes widened maliciously although sunken and shadowed. :?: A small man with dark, curved hair, so small that his chair seemed unoccupied at first glance, scrambled from his seat and scurried from the room. His long cloak, however, was ornate, flapping around his ankles as he marched, strutting majestically. A squat man, sitting rigidly, his features blunt and twisted, gave a wheezing giggle which was echoed here and there. The female immediately sitting next to his right spoke something then, her voice hoarse yet constricted with emotion, her face turning red, and her eyes welling with tears of delight.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-18, 5:24

Linguaphile wrote:
azhong wrote:His skin was yellowish and waxy, his eyes, widening maliciously though, sunken and shadowed.
His skin was yellowish and waxy, and his eyes widened maliciously although sunken and shadowed. :?:

How if I desire to say, with a different emphasis:
His skin was ..., and his eyes were sunken and shadowed, although widening maliciously.

His skin was ..., and his eyes, widening maliciously though, were sunken and shadowed.

Are the two sentences above natural? Thank you in advance for your response.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-01-18, 5:30

azhong wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:
azhong wrote:His skin was yellowish and waxy, his eyes, widening maliciously though, sunken and shadowed.
His skin was yellowish and waxy, and his eyes widened maliciously although sunken and shadowed. :?:

How if I desire to say, with a different emphasis:
His skin was ..., and his eyes were sunken and shadowed, although widening maliciously.

His skin was ..., and his eyes, widening maliciously though, were sunken and shadowed.

Are the two sentences above natural? Thank you in advance for your response.

I like the first of those two. The second one does not sound natural to me.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-19, 0:46

Linguaphile wrote:
azhong wrote: Voldemort stroke it absently with his pale, slim fingers, tilting his head on one side, as considering me with a malicious, constant gaze.
Voldemort stroke it absently with his pale, slim fingers, tilting his head on one side, as if considering me with a malicious, constant gaze.

May I inquire how to say it if my intention was not as if but, instead, meanwhile, in the state of, when, while? I suppose the as I have used here can provide the meaning of when, while.

He stroke it, tilting his head, [and at the same time] considering me.

He stroke it, considering me with his head tilted.

He stroke the snake absolutely, considering me with a malicious gaze, his head tilted

Thank you in advance for your reply.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-19, 3:02

I praised her briefly but sincerely, clapping her on the back, who then glanced quickly at me and away again, her face flooding with colors and her eyes welling with tears of joy.
"There can be no higher pleasure than having your commendation…", she said, her voice constricted with emotion.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-20, 2:57

(How is the long, imitative sentence below? Thank you in advance for your comments.)

Tom sat beside his brother David, as unlike him in looks, tall and muscular with his hair cutted neatly short compared to David's being pale and slim with a long hair hanging down his back, as he was in bearing and demeanor; David sat lazy and comfortable, Tom leaned forward energetically, as if ready for another set of push-ups then pull-ups.

My analysis at my model below:
She was unlike her sister as in looks as in bearing and demeanor.
She sat next to her sister, unlike her as in looks as in bearing and demeanor.
She sat next to her sister, as unlike her in looks as (she was) in bearing and demeanor.

She sat beside her sister, as unlike her in looks, with her dark hair and heavily lidded eyes, as she was in bearing and demeanor; where Narcissa sat rigid and impassive, Bellatrix leaned toward Voldemort, for mere words could not demonstrate her longing for closeness.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-21, 2:56

(Thank you in advance for your assistance comments.)

I saw the heavy wooden door was opened, behind which my brother appeared, lingering at the threshold for a while to get accustomed to the lack of the light in the drawing room. He then strode straight to his allotted seat, as unlike me in looks, squat and dark compared with my being pale and slim, as he was in his bearing and demeanor; I was somewhat gloomy and looked thoughtful apprehensively, he showed up always with his cheerful expression.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-22, 2:50

(Thank you in advance for your any assistance.)

"Had l let slip something confidential? I merely mentioned the Magical Ministry will play no further part in the protection of moving Harry Potter, who will be transferred but only by the Order, on Saturday next, without using any forms of transport controlled or regulated by the Ministry. The Order believed the Ministry had been infiltrated by the Death Eaters. After leaving his current place of safety, Potter will be hidden next at the home of one of the Order. But be prudent in trusting me, for I might be laying a false trail to you."
Finishing saying this, Edward gave a wheezing giggle at first, which soon became an eruption of jeering laughter, with his body leaning forward and his looks gleeful.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-23, 4:23

(Thank you in advance for emending my writing practice.)

As Sam strode past, John's resentful eyes followed, mumbled a curse with his tense face and his tightly bitten teeth, then gave a rude gesture behind the back of Sam's head, who, paying little attention to John's hostility, whistled on all his way toward the door, strutting majestically. Before his leaving the room, Sam deliberately performed a comic farewell at the threshold, naturally making John angrier, whose face soon turned an ugly, blotchy red.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-24, 2:55

They watched their steps cautiously along the trail, fully covered by wet leaves and rotten branches. The trees, tall and dense, broke most sunlight and thwarted their moving forward. After turning right around a huge rock, they saw the path barred by a broken truck meters ahead, which, densely covered with a thick layer of moss, a snake was twining around. It palpably felt disturbed by their sudden appearance, showing its hostility by opening its mouth wide and hissing angrily.

(And version 2.0, a finer one I hope.)
They watched their steps cautiously, the trail fully covered by wet leaves and rotten branches. The trees, tall and dense, broke most sunlight and thwarted their moving forward. After turning right around a huge rock, they saw the path barred by a broken truck meters ahead, which, densely covered with a thick layer of moss, a snake was twining around. This creature might have sensed their approach, felt disturbed, and was showing its palpable hostility, opening its mouth wide and hissing angrily.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-25, 1:14

"Enough!" he thumped the table with his fist, trying to cease the jeering laughter from people around, his face flushed with anger. But the throng were so jubilant at his humiliation, the hilarity didn't descend but mounted, which made his face turn an ugly, blotchy red.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-26, 1:26

After the outpouring of mirth in the manor house had descended, a soft snigger seemed to wheeze on outside from under the window, which startled the throng around the table palpably. All turned to stare at the window where the giggle had been issuing, the diamond windowpane glinting in the swaying firelight.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-27, 2:14

(Thank you in advance for your any comments.)

I heard my aunt replied to Voldemort, crying over the catcalls and jeers of the throng around the long table, then I heard Voldemort named not my family name but, to my tremendous astonishment, my first. He had been mocking at my family, by inquiring me this time! What should I reply? I gazed sideways at my father, who was staring down into his laps, then caught my mother's eyes. She sent me a signal by shaking her head almost imperceptibly, then resumed her deadpan stare at the opposite wall, where the diamond-paned windows glinted in the swaying firelight.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-28, 3:00

(Thank you in advance for your comments.)

As he entered the classroom, the most singular feature of the scene soon caught his eye: above an apparently unconscious human figure hanging upside down, revolving slowly as if suspended by an invisible rope.

He heard the sudden eruption of the jeering laughter from his classmates around, which made his face flushing with anger. He cried back over their outpouring of mirth but just in vain, their hilarity mounted more.
"Enough," said their teacher, his long fingers knocking the desk. "Enough." And the laughter died at once.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-01-29, 2:57

Voldemort's eyes fastened, with an intensity seemingly capable of get something scorched, upon Harry Potter's, who calmly looked back, his smile showing his bravery. The frozen, tense situation lasted, their wands directed at each other's chest; a duel was about to start. The watchers around stiffened, all apprehensive and breathless by his or her expression, but palpably divided into two alliances by their positions, with opposite expectations at the result.

Return to “English”