True false friends 2

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: True false friends 2

Postby linguoboy » 2020-10-14, 15:47

(es) metal brass [in a musical context]
(en) metal

I'm currently editing an article translated rather too literally from the Spanish and I was confused by the line "participating only with metals and keyboards" until I realised the original was "participando solo con metales y teclados".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-10-18, 17:11

(en) indoctrinated taught to accept a set of beliefs without questioning them; brainwashed
(es) indoctrinado uneducated, lacking education, ignorant ("indoctrinated" is adoctrinado)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-10-22, 21:00

(ca) xocolatina chocolate bar; bonbon
(fr) chocolatine pain au chocolat
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-10-23, 0:08

linguoboy wrote:(ca) xocolatina chocolate bar; bonbon

(es) chocolatina chocolate bar (=tableta de chocolate)
(es-ar) chocolatín chocolate bar (=tableta de chocolate)
(es-mx) chocolatín pain au chocolat (=napolitana de chocolate)

And then there are Chocolatines made by Gamesa (Mexican cookie company), which are basically a marshmallow ball on a chocolate wafer, dipped in chocolate and covered with peanuts.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-10-23, 4:44

(en) experiment
(es) experimentado experienced, seasoned
(es) experimentar (1) to experiment, to try out; (2) to experience, to undergo, to feel
(pt) experimentar (1) to experiment, to try out; (2) to try, to attempt

(en) practically
(es) prácticamente (1) practically; (2) through practice

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-10-27, 4:47

(en) Pope
(es) pope Eastern Orthodox priest

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-10-27, 14:17

Linguaphile wrote:(en) experiment
(es) experimentar (1) to experiment, to try out; (2) to experience, to undergo, to feel

What surprised me is that in Portuguese experimentar can also be used to mean "to taste, to try food or beverages".
I am confused by the last two, cause the meanings are not too different, but when thinking better I'd say that Italian sperimentare is like Spanish.

(en) practically
(it) practicamente basically

(ca) xocolatina chocolate bar; bonbon
(es) chocolatina chocolate bar (=tableta de chocolate)
(es-ar) chocolatín chocolate bar (=tableta de chocolate)
(es-mx) chocolatín pain au chocolat (=napolitana de chocolate)

And then there are Chocolatines made by Gamesa (Mexican cookie company), which are basically a marshmallow ball on a chocolate wafer, dipped in chocolate and covered with peanuts.

(it) cioccolatino chocolate bonbon
Pain au chocolat is fagottino in Italian.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-10-27, 15:27

OldBoring wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:(en) experiment

What surprised me is that in Portuguese experimentar can also be used to mean "to taste, to try food or beverages".
I am confused by the last two, cause the meanings are not too different, but when thinking better I'd say that Italian sperimentare is like Spanish.

French is like Spanish in this case, and I can say the "experience" meaning for expérimenter takes getting used to for an English speaker. We express "experience" with, well, "experience". "Experiment" is treated as an unconnected verb with its own semantic space.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-11, 18:28

(fr) gosses kids
(fr-QC) gosses bollocks
(fr-frc) gosses husks, shells

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-11-12, 4:08

(en) permanence state of remaining unchanged indefinitely; everlasting quality
(es) permanencia (1) state of remaining unchanged indefinitely; everlasting quality; (2) stay; visit; sojourn (3) term; tenure; duration i.e. de corta permanencia = short-term, short-lived

oho

Postby oho » 2020-11-13, 7:11

OldBoring wrote:
(en) practically
(it) practicamente basically

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-14, 18:50

(en) avuncular
(de) onkelhaft

This one is interesting to me because it's a difference of connotation rather than denotation (doubtless stemming from different cultural stereotypes around the behaviour of uncles). Duden labels onkelhaft as "meist abwertend" ("usually pejorative") and says, yes, it means "kindly" but also "gönnerhaft [und herablassend]" ("patronising [and condescending]").

This makes me wonder if the meaning of English "avuncular" might vary according to dialect.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-11-16, 20:53

(et) avarii crash, accident
(es) avería breakdown, failure

I know I've posted this one before in a different thread but it got me again: hearing about someone who had frequent "averías" on a long trip and my immediate thought was that they had gotten into a lot of car accidents (!), when actually the car kept breaking down. Neither is a good situation but having frequent breakdowns on a long trip with an old car is a lot more understandable than having a lot of car accidents along the way. :mrgreen:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-17, 19:13

This one is really embarrassing. Today I was doing some authority work on Welsh musicians and I was puzzled by the fact that a brass band from Anglesey was referred to as both "Seindorf Beaumaris Band" and just "Beaumaris Band". Beaumaris is the name of the town where it is based and Seindorf, well, I assumed it was a personal name like "Waldorf" and that, at some point in the past, there must have been a rich benefactor of German or German-Jewish origin who endowed the band.

Turns out, "seindorf" is just an older term for "band", a native compound formed from sain "sound" and torf "crowd" (cognate with Latin turba) which shows up in the proper names of other longstanding musical groups in Wales.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-11-23, 6:31

It was mentioned last year that "notorious" has negative connotations in English while its Romance cognates are neutral/positive. I happened upon another set of this kind of false friend:

(en) egregious - especially bad; conspicuous
(it)/(es) egregio - distingished, illustrious
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-11-24, 16:42

I may consider myself lucky for having never written "Egregious Sir" (egregio signore in Italian) in my life... :para:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-11-27, 18:32

Basically the issue here is that this word is much less often used figuratively in English (where by "figuratively" I mean "not pertaining to literal nerve pain") and when it is used figuratively in English, it is with a consistently negative meaning. It is therefore a false friend for English speakers when used with meaning (2) in the other languages, even more so when meaning (2) is meant to have a neutral or positive connotation.

(en) neuralgic (1) pertaining to neuralgia (severe pain along a nerve) (2) causing or feeling very strong, painful emotions
(es) neurálgico (1) pertaining to neuralgia (severe pain along a nerve) (2) decisive, crucial, central
(ca) neuràlgic (1) pertaining to neuralgia (severe pain along a nerve) (2) decisive, crucial, central
(fr) névralgique (1) pertaining to neuralgia (severe pain along a nerve) (2) decisive, crucial, central
(pt) nevrálgico, neurálgico (1) pertaining to neuralgia (severe pain along a nerve) (2) decisive, crucial, central
(it) nevralgico, neuralgico (1) pertaining to neuralgia (severe pain along a nerve) (2) decisive, crucial, central

h34

Postby h34 » 2020-12-01, 17:01

(no) å være sosial
= to be sociable

(de) sozial sein/handeln
= to be socially minded, to act in a socially conscious or public-spirited way

Corona-related examples:
(no) Vær sosial, men hold avstand.
= Be sosial, but keep the distance.
(de) Sei sozial, halte Abstand.
= Be sozial; (thus) keep the distance.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-01, 20:42

(ca) noia girl
(pt-BR) noia drug addict, crazie

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-12-02, 0:23

I always thought there was an accent on the o. Rules for graphic accents on the second to last syllables are the worst.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “General Language Forum”