Language Course

Moderator:Multiturquoise

E}{pugnator
Language Course

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-19, 18:18

გამარჯობა! (hello!)

This is the Unilang's Georgian Virtual Class! Once again as a pioneer at the Internet, Unilang is going to offer you here the opportunity of learning the fascinating Georgian language!
The resources available for learning Georgian in English are either too few or too technical and directed to linguists. This has led us to decide to create a Georgian course were we could learn together. This course will be mainly based in a book available in Russian (but don't worry, knowing Russian may help a lot but it's not required, we're going to make all lessons understood by English speakers, even by translating it and trying to adapt it to the English linguistic background).
The course we're going to use can be found (in Russian) at http://www.nukri.org/modules.php?op=mod ... =0&thold=0 . In the next messages we're going to add more links as well as technical infomation. Best Regards,
E}{pugnator

P.S. If you can't view the Georgian text (gamarjoba), it's necessary to install a Georgian compatible font. We're using the ones available at http://www.geocities.com/bpgfonts/bpg_sansser_ue.htm (scroll to the bottom to find thefile). Be sure to reinstall your browser after installing it.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

leppie

Postby leppie » 2003-03-20, 12:04

I know a little russian, so the only page I could find with georgian alphabeth and pronunciations of its letters is here
http://www.nukri.org/files/geolng/6.jpg

Last column doesn't seem to be IPA....
I put hereunder a copy of it.... I'd like someone to explain some sounds... (a letter with
a dot under is advanced? or what?)

ა a
ბ b
გ g
დ d
ე e

ვ v
ზ z
თ t
ი i
კ ḳ

ლ l
მ m
ნ n
ო o
პ .p

ჟ ʒ
რ r
ს s
ტ ṭ
უ u

ფ p
ქ k
ღ γ
ყ .q
შ ʒ

ჩ ʧ
ც c
ძ ʒ
წ .c
ჭ .ʧ

ხ x
ჯ ??
ჰ h
Se il drago rifiuta di combattere,
forse è solo pigro.
Ma se ignora la zanzara,
allora è davvero addormentato.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-20, 18:55

Well, I planned to go slowly, leppie, teaching the vowels at first and then some easy consonants and only then go to the trickier ones...Thanks for pasting the whole alphabet, anyways, for people to have a look.

I don't have much time now, i plan to continue asap...
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

angara

Postby angara » 2003-03-21, 1:23

found the Radio Free Europe in Georgian (on demands) :

http://www.rferl.org/ondemand/bd/ge/

pa-integral

Georgian characters

Postby pa-integral » 2003-03-21, 9:08

I'm not able to see the Georgian characters. Should I put the Georgian keyboard on or what?

Georgian seems interesting :D I'll have a look at the future lessons :)

angara

Postby angara » 2003-03-21, 10:03

Gamarjoba!

And here, the alphabet list with sound clips!
On the 4th line, after the red 'NEW!', links a real audio file.
The next line is MP3's.
http://www7.airnet.ne.jp/art/georgia/lang/alphabet.html
(by Japan-Georgia Cultural Assosiation)

And, there's an useful link to a site with basic phrases & sound clips:
http://members.tripod.com/ggdavid/georg ... hrases.htm

leppie

Postby leppie » 2003-03-21, 10:26

მადლობთ, angara...
forse è solo pigro.
Ma se ignora la zanzara,

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-21, 16:48

Pa, u should install a Georgian unicode-compatible font, like the one you can find at the URL i gave at the first post.

So, the vowels and their pronounciation:

ა (name = an) - it's the normal latin language's /a/

ე (name = en) - it's the *open* e of the latin languages, represented by the epsilon in the IPA

ი (name = in) - a normal latin i

ო (name = on) - a closed o, IPA /o/

უ (name = un) - a normal latin /u/

I love the vowels' shapes, specially a and i.

Is there anyone capable of finding common western brands and companies written (or any western name that is recognized worldwide) in georgian script? It's a good exercise to learn the alphabet, I used to do it when learning cyrillic.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-21, 17:08

Hey,

I want to apologize for the way the classes are going, I'm on vacation and therefore I don't have much internet access, I have to pay for it...
The resources for learning Georgian, as I mentioned, are too few, they have to be "prospected" through the web...I'm trying to collect those I've visited, but it may take a while, because of the net access problem.
You may see many different transcription systems at the pages you visit, and we need to take care not to get confused with these systems...I guess you all will understand what some dots and apostrophes you've seen mean after I explain something about the ejective consonants. We'll try to base our work on the IPA, although not necessarily displaying the IPA characters here.
I'm working more or less as a teacher, but just because people find myself good at explanations; my level of knowledge is the same as yours, i.e. i'm a complete beginner.
During the course we'll make reference to many materials, not only the Russian course.
I hope you all can see the Georgian characters. As for typing it, you'd need a Georgian keyboard installed. I don't know how this keyboard would work with the Unicode font, i guess you'd need to type in a non-unicode font, which would confuse everything. I suggest you to copy the characters you want to type from other sites, as we are in a beginner level, or better to install the program SC Unipad ( www.unipad.org ), which is a powerful program. This program has the keyboard ayout of several languages, and type Unicode-compatible characters; all you have to do is to type your Georgian text there and then paste it here (actually that's what many people do at the Unilang chat) :lol:
leppie, nice to see you are already trying to say things in georgian! Good job!
Dunno if you have this problem, but the georgian characters display in a too small font here (stil legible, but small anyways). I suggest you all to set the font size to "big" or even a larger size.
Well, hope you enjoy the classes! Oh, I'd like feedback from you! Please reply to this message or send me a private message everyone who's learning Georgian saying "gamarjoba!"

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-21, 17:19

Hey! I forgot it! This is the translation of the first part of the Russian book (link at the first message), did by Irina:

TEACH YOURSELF GEORGIAN by Nodar Natadze, Tbilisi, 2001 (yeah, up-t-date!).

INTRODUCTION

The grammatical structures of Russian and Georgian languages are extremely different. That is why the author pays much attention to grammar, especially to those differences.

You shouldn’t learn the forms of the changeable words automatically, but together with the minimal grammatical analysis (for example, with determining of tense, voice, person of a verb, with observing of affixes conveying the idea of tenses, voices, etc.)

While learning Georgian by means of this book the main attention should be paid to the work with the texts given in lessons and in a special third section of the book. In first lessons texts are based on the given grammatical material, the texts of the following lessons are based on Georgian literature and folklore.

Each lesson and each big text have their own vocabulary. If you haven’t seen a necessary word in a particular text vocabulary, look it up in the vocabulary of the previous texts or in the vocabulary summary given in the end of the book. In the text vocabularies words are given in one of their meanings revealed in a text, in voc. summary all the meanings of a word are given. After each text the explanation of idioms and exceptions from the grammatical rules are given. All the texts are followed by their literal translation.

You should work with the texts in the following way – reread them as many times as possible. It is advisable that you should know all the text almost by heart. If you are able to tell them close to the original it means that you are able to speak Georgian fluently.

The first section of the book is devoted to Georgian alphabet and pronunciation. The second section – grammar – consists of 40 lessons. Each lesson is meant for one week work on average. The third section is a collection of texts based on Georgian literature, some of the prosaic texts are slightly adapted, poetry is not adapted, of course. After the text section the table of the conjugation of difficult verbs is given.

As for the alphabet/pronounciation, I've already started the vowels myself at that previous message and I'm going to base it both on the Russian book and the English grammar...

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-03-21, 19:53

gamarjoba!

I have the problem with the too small fonts, too.

angara

fonts

Postby angara » 2003-03-23, 4:03

hi_ I've done edit my post I wrote some days before (the message is below)
Well, I've struggled about the fonts and found that I had installed wrong one, then seeeeeeeeeeerched and found out a normal one for Mac.
Funny, I was going to learn the classical, or maybe church-use georgian :lol:
So, I'll be going to delete this post on 31st March.
Sorry, I bothered you all. :wink:
Mayumi
-----old message below-------
გამარჯობა
I'm confused about the 2 different letter sets : quadrat-combined-like set and rounded ones. Those seems quite different, not just a problem about variation of fonts, i feel. Not a few letters are completely hard to be found the corresponding letters on the other list.
Did I download wrong fonts??? __I've installed some fonts : 'PBG Nino Khtsuri U' is the only font I can see and imput here, and it's quadrat like. The others : Dumbadze_ITV & Chveulebrivy_ITV are rounded, decorated, which I could encounter more on georgian URLs. (I use Mac OSX)
:? ?????
car, I have the same problem, too. Font size bar are not effective on georgian letters. :?

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-24, 19:36

Yeah, khutsuri is an old script (the "ecclesiastical" one). The script now used is the mkhedruli (the "knights" one).

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-24, 20:06

As for the small characters, I just recommend you that when typing georgian characters set the font to "big".

E}{pugnator

Georgian Consonants: Part I

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-25, 19:07

These first consonants will seem easy for you...

v
l
m
n
r

Now an Exercise (Yeah, they do exist):

Transcribe these hypothetical (or not) georgian words and expressions into English (i mean, latin alphabet)

1. მე ვარ
2. მოლ
3. ინ
4. ურო

Now from English to georgian (all hypothetical words...if you can't type the Georgian characters, just copy them from leppie's alphabet message, as i'm doing right now at this computer):

1. mal
2. rin
3. vel
4. una
5. nuro

leppie, don't worry, the day you'll now the reason of all that diacritics over some letters is coming...If you already know why, or don't want to wait for an explanation, check http://www.armazi.com/georgian/grammar.html at the Script and Phonology sections (it's necessary to install a non-Unicode font).

Again, I need feedback. I need to know who is following this course, because I don't want to throw my words in the wind. :)

leppie

Re: Georgian Consonants: Part I

Postby leppie » 2003-03-26, 14:28

I cannot see georgian letters on
lhttp://www.armazi.com/georgian/grammar.html...
I tried unicode chars, GEOSTD8... any kind of characters coding on mozilla...
Besides this the frames have charset=iso-8859-1
in the head section. Does anybody have similar problems?
forse è solo pigro.
Ma se ignora la zanzara,

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-03-26, 17:24

[
Transcribe these hypothetical (or not) georgian words and expressions into English (i mean, latin alphabet)

1. მე ვარ

meear

2. მოლ

mol

3. ინ

in

4. ურო

uro

Now from English to georgian (all hypothetical words...if you can't type the Georgian characters, just copy them from leppie's alphabet message, as i'm doing right now at this computer):

1. mal

მალ

2. rin

რინ

3. vel

ველ

4. una

უნა

5. nuro

ნურო

It's stil too hard to read them...

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-03-26, 17:56

Well, i think it's also a matter of getting used to the letters...They look quite big for me here...

Only a small mistake, Car:

მე ვარ = me var (I am)

Notice how different the "e" is from the "v". The "e" is the second letter, while the "v" is the third, already in the word "var"...

leppie, as i told in a previous message, at the Armazi page you have to install a non-unicode font they will provide at their own...

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-03-26, 19:09

E}{pugnator wrote:Well, i think it's also a matter of getting used to the letters...They look quite big for me here...

Only a small mistake, Car:

მე ვარ = me var (I am)

Notice how different the "e" is from the "v". The "e" is the second letter, while the "v" is the third, already in the word "var"...

When rereading my post, it's ok now, but I had problems with your posts.
I notice my mistake now, they looked the same, but now I can see the difference.

angara

Postby angara » 2003-04-03, 3:45

E}{pugnator wrote:Again, I need feedback. I need to know who is following this course, because I don't want to throw my words in the wind. :)

I'm following :) I'm doing transcript exercises (?) based on Russian textbook introduced above. Some of the letters have become familier. But some are bothering me which I should use : e.g.
ფorპ...

I'll post the consonant list for myself next :wink:

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”