Last word in a foreign language that you learnt 2

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Last word in a foreign language that you learnt 2

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-03, 8:36

(fr) hosto/hosteau /ɔsto/ nm - (slang) hospital

Derived from hôpital "hospital", but I'm guessing it's based on a spelling pronunciation of the older spelling hospital. French retained some coda /s/s this way.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-07-04, 11:27

Could it also be formed as analogy with résto?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-04, 16:54

OldBoring wrote:Could it also be formed as analogy with resto?

Maybe? I haven't found any information on how old either word might be. In any case, CNRTL's first attestation of restaurer is from the 900s. That's before the sound changes that deleted coda /s/, indicating restaurer and restaurant are another case of spelling pronunciation.

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-07-04, 19:24

Kaff - (umg., abwert.) Kleiner, langweiliger Ort. / (coll., pej.) Small, boring place.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-06, 13:38

(fi) sammakko frog
(fi) sammas axis mundi

Does anybody know the connexion?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-07-06, 16:22

linguoboy wrote:(fi) sammakko frog
(fi) sammas axis mundi

Does anybody know the connexion?

Actually nobody knows for sure! The best analysis of it that I've found is in Sampsa Holopainen's article "Indo-Iranian loanwords confined to Saami?" from which I'm quoting a few parts below. (The article's focus is whether Saami cuoppu "frog" and its cognates [cf. Kildin цӯммпэ "frogs"] and other Saami words are of Indo-Iranian origin, so only parts of the article directly relate to the etymology of sammakko and sammas. It's an interesting read.)

Parpola convincingly argues that the word for world pillar is an Indo-Iranian borrowing and the Finnic sampo myth also reflects early Indo-Iranian influence, which fits well into the context of other mythological loanwords borrowed into the Western Uralic languages from Indo-Iranian.
Parpola also refers to earlier research by Haavio and Setälä, who connected the word sammakko ‘frog’ to the world pillar: in Indian mythology, the pillar of the universe is carried by a tortoise, and the FinnoSaamic ‘frog’ might reflect influence from the Indo-Aryan ‘tortoise’.

If the two concepts were to stem from the same word, as Sammallahti seems to believe, the only way to explain the semantics (Finnic ‘pillar’ versus Saami and Finnic ‘frog’) would be to assume that the semantic change from the mythological sammas ‘world pillar’ to ‘frog’ would already have happened in a common proto-language of Finnic and Saami.

Ante Aikio (personal communication) regards the words for ‘pillar’ and ‘frog’ as etymologically distinct. This is probably the case: all explanations that try to connect these two words fail to assure the reader of the need to postulate a common proto-form for them. Folk etymology may naturally have played a role here, as Setälä suspected, and this could easily explain the role played by the frog in some versions of the sampo myth. It would be possible to argue that if both ‘frog’ and ‘pillar’ are central elements of cosmology, they could have a common origin, but the linguistic arguments simply do not support that assumption.

Koivulehto (1999b: 321 footnote 7) mentions as a side note an interesting fact that might shed more light on the completed etymology of the sammakko word group. There is a Finnish word sammas meaning ‘Mundschwamm’ (cf. also Estonian sammaspool ‘skin rash, pityriasis versicolor’, SSA s.v. sammas2); in Koivulehto’s view, the word sammakko ‘frog’ and its Saami cognate are probably connected to this, and he finds parallels for this kind of semantic development (‘frog’ > ‘Mundschwamm’) in other languages, such as English, French and Russian (cf. SKES: 961, s.v. sammakko and SSA s.v. sammakko). If this is correct, it is unlikely that the word sammas ‘pillar’ and the homonymic ‘Mundschwamm’ derive from the same source. The word for ‘frog’ thus probably has no connection to sammas and sampo.

My most recent words:
(vro) kirmaśk summer celebration in honor of a village church's name-day or patron saint
(vro) kiior royal staff (a juniper cane with traditional woven ribbons, used by the ülembsootska)
(vro) kroonikogo council composed of current and all living former representatives of the Seto kingdom
(vro) sootska former elected representative of the Seto Kingdom
(vro) tsäposka = tśaposka Seto silver necklace decorated with coins
(vro) ülembsootśka elected representative of the Seto Kingdom; regent of the king or king's herald; considered to be the voice of the legendary hero-king Peko

and inspired by the discussion above, also
(vro) sammas pillar, monument, statue
(vro) sammaspuul skin rash, eczema
(vot) sammaz pillar, post, doorjamb, beehive
(vot) täitara skin rash, eczema (lit. louse-garden :shock: )

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-07-08, 7:29

Camiño de Santiago - Parte da Vía Láctea que se percibe desde a Terra a simple vista. / Part of the Milky Way visible to the naked eye from Earth.

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-07-08, 15:40

(de) Freilauf freewheel

Had to get my bike's one replaced.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-07-09, 22:33

エロカワ (erokawa) - Sexy, but still cute. 8-)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-10, 2:36

(ga) creatháin yips
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-12, 17:49

(fr)
obnubiler v - (figuratively) numb, dull; engross, obsess
relativiser v - put things in perspective; relativize

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-07-14, 20:15

rambunctious - Difficult to control, boisterous, exuberant.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-17, 13:32

(de) stopfen darn [e.g. socks]
(fi) takatukka mullet (hairstyle)

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-07-17, 16:55

奇人 (kijin) - eccentric person

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2020-07-21, 12:44

(nl) tutoyeren - to address someone informally (from (fr) tutoyer with the same meaning).
Please correct my mistakes!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-27, 4:24

(fr)
narcissique adj - narcissistic
diligence nf - stagecoach (< carrosse de diligence)
subalterne adj - inferior

(es)
columpio nm - swing

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-27, 8:43

(cy) anneuaidd, di-ddeuaidd non-binary
(ca) meuca barn owl; whore
(fi) siilitukka crewcut
(de) Verschnaufpause breather

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-01, 20:33

(fi) tuliainen

I was very charmed to discover that Finnish has an equivalent of German Mitbringsel and it made me wonder why English lacks one. Wiktionary glosses it as "homecoming gift", but I've never heard that term before. Instead, you'd just say "I brought you something back from my trip" or "I brought you a little something". For a gift given out of obligation to someone who's having you over, I'd say "hostess gift", but I don't think that would be universally understood among English-speakers.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-08-01, 23:09

linguoboy wrote:(fi) tuliainen

I was very charmed to discover that Finnish has an equivalent of German Mitbringsel and it made me wonder why English lacks one. Wiktionary glosses it as "homecoming gift", but I've never heard that term before. Instead, you'd just say "I brought you something back from my trip" or "I brought you a little something". For a gift given out of obligation to someone who's having you over, I'd say "hostess gift", but I don't think that would be universally understood among English-speakers.

I'd say "hostess gift" (or "host gift") too. If it's not as well-known in English I think it would be because bringing a gift when visiting someone's home is not as much of a tradition in English-speaking countries.

(fi) Hän toi makeisia tuliaisiksi / tuomisiksi.
(vot) Tämä tõi erkkua toomussissi / gastnitsassi.
(et) Ta tõi maiustusi külakostiks / kostiks.
(vro) Tä tõi magahuisi kostis.
(en) He/she brought some sweets as a hostess gift.

"Homecoming gift" to me sounds like something rather different: a gift you give to someone who is coming home after a long absence, sort of a "welcome-home" gift. I don't know why Wiktionary would gloss it that way. The "coming" (tuli-) in the Finnish word refers to the visitor who brings the gift, not to the person it is given to.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-08, 3:46

(de) Schwippschwager co-brother-in-law (fem. Schwippschwägerin)

Another useful word with no real English equivalent. ("Co-brother-in-law" is apparently used in South Indian English and is probably not understandable to most English-speakers without explanation.)

My siblings are both married. My brother's wife--my sister-in-law--has a sister; she is my Schwippschwägerin. She is also married; her husband is my brother's Schwippschwager. My sister-in-law's Schwippschwager is my brother-in-law and she is his Schwippschwägerin.

Return to “General Language Forum”