Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

caleteu
Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby caleteu » 2019-12-02, 16:10

Can someone explain the expression איכסס to me? Lea is playing Cinderella in a school play and is supposed to kiss Prince Charming. She says, "איכסס... אני לא מנשקת בנים" Where does it come from? What does it mean?

Drink

Postby Drink » 2019-12-02, 17:51

It's an onomatopoeia for when you're grossed out or disgusted by something. Like "ew" or "ick" in English. Note, it's pronounced "ikhs", and technically spelled איכס, but the extra ס is just to show that the sound is drawn out.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2020-02-08, 14:47

Three similar statements, but I can't figure them out. Lea and her friend draw together:
לאה החבר שלה מציירים אחד לשני חייזרים Lea and her friend depict each other as aliens?
לאה והחבר שלה מציירים אחד על השני Lea and her friend draw each other?
מציירים את המורות כמכשפות They draw the teachers as witches

HIlfe?
תודה

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2020-02-15, 11:09

caleteu wrote:Three similar statements, but I can't figure them out. Lea and her friend draw together:
לאה והחבר שלה מציירים אחד לשני חייזרים Lea and her friend draw aliens for each other
לאה והחבר שלה מציירים אחד על השני Lea and her friend draw on each other?
מציירים את המורות כמכשפות They draw the teachers as witches This is correct.

HIlfe?
תודה

Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » 2020-02-24, 17:01

Hi what os סרט מפוספס ? Didn't find in internet. Thank tou Very much

Drink

Postby Drink » 2020-02-25, 4:44

Stevenson wrote:Hi what os סרט מפוספס ? Didn't find in internet. Thank tou Very much

What's the context? It could mean "striped ribbon" or "missed movie", or maybe a few other things.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » 2020-02-25, 12:24

Drink wrote:
Stevenson wrote:Hi what os סרט מפוספס ? Didn't find in internet. Thank tou Very much

What's the context? It could mean "striped ribbon" or "missed movie", or maybe a few other things.

Hi Drink

אמנם יש פה את כל האלמנטים והמרכיבים לסרט מעניין וטוב אבל הם לא מתחברים טוב יחד ומרוב כדורים באוויר שמנסים ללהטט ביניהם יוצא סרט מפוספס, לא מספק, ומאכזב במיוחד סרט שהיו לו את הנתונים להיות טוב והוא אינו כזה

Drink

Postby Drink » 2020-02-27, 13:55

Stevenson wrote:Hi Drink

אמנם יש פה את כל האלמנטים והמרכיבים לסרט מעניין וטוב אבל הם לא מתחברים טוב יחד ומרוב כדורים באוויר שמנסים ללהטט ביניהם יוצא סרט מפוספס, לא מספק, ומאכזב במיוחד סרט שהיו לו את הנתונים להיות טוב והוא אינו כזה

Ah. Here it means a "missed [opportunity for a good] movie".
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » 2020-03-18, 15:39

Thanks Drink

mizuz

Postby mizuz » 2020-06-06, 7:31

שלום

When should I use בלתי? I understand it's some sort of negation but I have no idea when it should be used.

Drink

Postby Drink » 2020-06-07, 5:11

mizuz wrote:
שלום

When should I use בלתי? I understand it's some sort of negation but I have no idea when it should be used.

The word בלתי in Modern Hebrew is used to negate certain adjectives (like בלתי אפשרי "impossible"). But it seems kind of inconsistent in when it is used as opposed to other forms of negation such as with לא (like לא נכון "incorrect").

So my advice is to just mimic how you see it used.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

mizuz

Postby mizuz » 2020-06-07, 7:03

Drink wrote:
mizuz wrote:
שלום

The word בלתי in Modern Hebrew is used to negate certain adjectives (like בלתי אפשרי "impossible"). But it seems kind of inconsistent in when it is used as opposed to other forms of negation such as with לא (like לא נכון "incorrect").

So my advice is to just mimic how you see it used.

תודה

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-06-26, 15:43

Is somebody learning the verb “structures” ( binyanim ) ? Do you think think it’s really necessary? Does it help you to speak better? :hmm:

Drink

Postby Drink » 2020-06-28, 15:55

Antea wrote:Is somebody learning the verb “structures” ( binyanim ) ? Do you think think it’s really necessary? Does it help you to speak better? :hmm:

It's a crucial part of the verb grammar. It's possible of course to learn to speak a language without ever consciously learning grammar, but it takes a lot more time and you are a lot more prone to using bad grammar or misunderstanding things. So yes, just like any other part of grammar, it's very much worth learning. Also, it's not actually that difficult.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

caleteu

Pronunciation

Postby caleteu » 2020-07-13, 18:01

Am I nuts, deaf or normal? When hearing a new Hebrew sentence with a word I don't know, I cannot distinguish between ח and ר. What is the difference? In Biblical Hebrew I learned that the ח is pronounced like the ch in German or Scottish, but when I hear spoken modern Hebrew, I can't distinguish between חם and רם.???
תודה
Caleteu

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2020-07-13, 18:05

Drink wrote:
Antea wrote:Is somebody learning the verb “structures” ( binyanim ) ? Do you think think it’s really necessary? Does it help you to speak better? :hmm:

It's a crucial part of the verb grammar. It's possible of course to learn to speak a language without ever consciously learning grammar, but it takes a lot more time and you are a lot more prone to using bad grammar or misunderstanding things. So yes, just like any other part of grammar, it's very much worth learning. Also, it's not actually that difficult.

It's also essential when using a printed dictionary. Most dictionaries place all the verb forms under their roots, so you need to know how to distinguish between prefixes, endings and benyanim, in order to find the right word in the dictionary. I also found it helpful to learn about the way sounds change, so you know not to look for the yod in a 1st person singular past tense verb in Hifil for example
Yours, Caleteu

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Pronunciation

Postby eskandar » 2020-07-13, 19:27

caleteu wrote:Am I nuts, deaf or normal? When hearing a new Hebrew sentence with a word I don't know, I cannot distinguish between ח and ר. What is the difference? In Biblical Hebrew I learned that the ח is pronounced like the ch in German or Scottish, but when I hear spoken modern Hebrew, I can't distinguish between and רם???
תודה
Caleteu

Interesting. In modern Israeli Hebrew, ח and כ are pronounced identically, as a voiceless velar fricative (as in German Buch) - though some describe this sound as a voiceless uvular fricative (as in German Bach).

ר is pronounced differently from those, as a voiced uvular fricative - just like the German or French R.

If you listen to חם and רם , do they sound the same to you? They're unmistakably distinct to my ear. On the other hand, I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between Israeli Hebrew ר and ל, especially with certain speakers.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2020-07-23, 9:55

Is there a food called crow in Hebrew? In an audio dialog, the reader reported that Tal eats סטייק ,המבורגר ,פסטה,
orev, (עורב?)for lunch. or does she mean עָרֵב Tasty?or עֹרֵבב Mixed? עָרֵב
Thank you!
Yours, Cambron

Drink

Postby Drink » 2020-07-23, 13:54

Maybe it was אורז (rice)? Which syllable was the stress on?
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2020-07-23, 16:45

Drink wrote:Maybe it was אורז (rice)? Which syllable was the stress on?

On the first. I wondered if it might be אורז, but the final consonant did sound like a ב.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”