Social distancing

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Social distancing

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-29, 5:19

(en) social distancing
(de) soziale Distanzierung

(es) distanciamiento social
(fr) distanciation sociale
(it) distanziamento sociale

(et) sotsiaalne distantseerumine
(fi) sosiaalinen etäisyys :?:

(zh) 保持社交距離 :?:

(th) การรักษาระยะห่างทางสังคม :?:

h34

Re: Social distancing

Postby h34 » 2020-03-29, 9:50

+ da, lv

(da) social distancering
(en) social distancing

(lv) sociāla distancēšana

(fi) sosiaalinen etäisyys :?:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-03-29, 14:15

Linguaphile wrote:(en) social distancing

I actually asked a German friend about this only yesterday and he told me that what he hears most often is the English term untranslated. The German Wikipedia article insists on the translation räumliche Distanzierung because "Es geht aber nicht um eine soziale Isolation der Individuen, sondern um die räumliche Distanzierung von (möglicherweise) infizierten zu nicht infizierten Personen." ("It's not about social isolation of individuals, but rather the physical distancing of (possibly) infected persons from those not infected.").
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2020-03-29, 14:58

+ catalan, russian

(en) social distancing

(ca) distanciament social

(ru) социальное дистанцирование

(fi) sosiaalinen etäisyys

linguoboy wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:(en) social distancing

I actually asked a German friend about this only yesterday and he told me that what he hears most often is the English term untranslated. The German Wikipedia article insists on the translation räumliche Distanzierung because "Es geht aber nicht um eine soziale Isolation der Individuen, sondern um die räumliche Distanzierung von (möglicherweise) infizierten zu nicht infizierten Personen." ("It's not about social isolation of individuals, but rather the physical distancing of (possibly) infected persons from those not infected.").

Soziale Distanzierung is the most commonly-used term, in my opinion. At least, I have seen it quite often in the news.

https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/coronav ... orbereitet
https://www.mdr.de/wissen/mensch-alltag ... st100.html
https://www.derbund.ch/sonntagszeitung/ ... y/27357077
https://www.tagesspiegel.de/wissen/coro ... 56946.html
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-29, 14:59

Linguaphile wrote:(fi) sosiaalinen etäisyys :?:

We don't have a translation or any other term for this. We just speak of "staying at home" and keeping a "turvaväli" (lit. safety space, a term usually associated with cars and driving) when going out. Some people say they're in quarantine when they mean they're self-isolating.

//Edit: I googled the term and there were some hits, but it looks like it's used as a direct translation from English because Finnish doesn't have a word for distancing yourself from other people. However, the problem with "sosiaalinen etäisyys" is that it also (and IMO mainly) refers to the metaphorical distance between people, like a peasant meeting a king -type of scenario. That might be why it hasn't become super common yet, although maybe it'll spread when the lockdowns continue.
Last edited by Naava on 2020-03-29, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-03-29, 15:08

Naava wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:(fi) sosiaalinen etäisyys :?:

We don't have a translation or any other term for this. We just speak of "staying at home" [...] Some people say they're in quarantine when they mean they're self-isolating.

Same for Sami languages. I think translations of "social distancing" are just anglicisms in most languages.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-29, 16:33

Thanks for the additions and comments!

Naava wrote:We don't have a translation or any other term for this. We just speak of "staying at home"

awrui wrote:Same for Sami languages. I think translations of "social distancing" are just anglicisms in most languages.

linguoboy wrote:he told me that what he hears most often is the English term untranslated

Yeah, I've seen the English version left untranslated sometimes in Spanish and Estonian and German as well, and various alternative translations scattered here and there in each language (like distancia social in Spanish and sotsiaalne eemaldumine in Estonian, among others). I've also come across räumliche Distanzierung in German too, but it's just not as common right now. (More about that below.)

Even in English, the widespread use of the term "social distancing" with this meaning is new (since the discovery of how the practice can help with slowing the spread of COVID-19; before that it existed but many people wouldn't have known so specifically what it referred to in the context of contagious disease until recently) and certainly not uncontroversial. And in English I've also heard people advocating for the use of the term "physical distancing" in place of "social distancing", just as Wikipedia and some other sources are advocating for the use of "räumliche Distanzierung" in German. For example, this article explains why (and it makes sense to me). But at the moment "social distancing" is still the more common term in English (and "soziale Distanzierung" still more common in German from what I've seen) - for now.

By the way, this seems relevant: Tässä vielä niille, joita häiritsee termi "sosiaalinen etäisyys" and there they use fyysinen etäisyys in the second graphic. I quite like what it says: Tarvitsemme fyysistä etäisyyttä, mutta henkistä läheisyyttä.* I have a feeling the meaning of fyysinen etäisyys (physical distancing) is going to be becoming the more common phrasing in many languages soon.
((en) physical distancing
(es) distanciamiento físico
(et) füüsiline distantseerumine)

* "We need physical distancing, but mental/spiritual closeness."

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-03-29, 17:28

I wouldn't use any of those terms in German. I think the use of "Distanzierung" is heavily influenced by US media and internet speech, as in German it's rather used in connection with moral and ethics (like: "Ich distanziere mich vom Rechtsextremismus."). Something like "Abstandseinhaltung" sounds much more natural to me. "Distanzierung" sounds just... weird.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-29, 19:24

awrui wrote:I wouldn't use any of those terms in German. I think the use of "Distanzierung" is heavily influenced by US media and internet speech, as in German it's rather used in connection with moral and ethics (like: "Ich distanziere mich vom Rechtsextremismus."). Something like "Abstandseinhaltung" sounds much more natural to me. "Distanzierung" sounds just... weird.

Interesting. Does being influenced by US media and internet speech make it invalid, though? Because I do agree with Iván regarding this:

Based on having seen it quite a bit myself too:
Soziale Distanzierung ist wichtig - und unser Ziel!
Soziale Distanzierung wird zum Habitus werden
Der beste Weg ist soziale Distanzierung
Abstand halten: Warum soziale Distanzierung hilft
Spass mit Abstand: Sonnenschein und soziale Distanzierung
Fakten zum Wort des Monats "Soziale Distanzierung"
Die Macht der sozialen Distanzierung
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz: Soziale Distangzierung oder: Wie wir gemeinsam die Kurve abflachen!
And so on. Some newspaper seem to prefer it more than others; Der Tagesspiegel from Berlin uses it a lot (I noticed both Iván's examples and mine included articles from them), Die Welt quite a bit, some others don't use it at all.

Then there are these two, from Austria and from Switzerland, which take issue with the term soziale Distanz (acknowledging its existence while offering alternatives). The first line of the first one jumped out at me: In der Corona Berichterstattung dominiert derzeit der Begriff der "Sozialen Distanz"...
Soziale Distanz - das falsche Wording!
Räumliche, nicht soziale Distanz ist gefragt

(Whew! This topic lead me down quite a rabbit hole, but good for freshening up my German in a subject area for which it's fairly new to me.) :D

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2020-03-29, 20:24

I've only seen soziale Distanzierung and the English version so far, I think. Yes, I've seen people criticise the term, but that's what people actually use.
Please correct my mistakes!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-29, 21:06

Car wrote:I've only seen soziale Distanzierung and the English version so far, I think. Yes, I've seen people criticise the term, but that's what people actually use.

Thanks for the confirmation! :D

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2020-03-30, 9:54

Linguaphile wrote:
Car wrote:I've only seen soziale Distanzierung and the English version so far, I think. Yes, I've seen people criticise the term, but that's what people actually use.

Thanks for the confirmation! :D

You're welcome!
Please correct my mistakes!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2020-03-31, 15:58

From what I've seen, they just straight-up use the English "social distancing" on all types of German media, like Car said. Most media outlets don't even bother with the awkward translation soziale Distanzierung. It doesn't crop up that much in daily spoken language because there's German terms / phrases that are way more useful. "Bitte Abstand halten!" for a request/command, or Kontaktverbot when referring to the official directive/policy. "Wir bleiben zuhause" for a sticker etc. (So far I still haven't seen the heretic "Wir bleiben daheim" stickers anywhere in this region, thankfully.)

I'm too out of touch with the media from Vietnam and can't tell you whether they use a translation of social distancing there. The policy there is closer to an Ausgangssperre, due to the incredible population density in the cities. But I don't think the Vietnamese language would need such clunky phrasing anyway, seeing that it functions very differently to European languages and has plenty of ways to express the same concept.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-03-31, 17:14

Tenebrarum wrote:(So far I still haven't seen the heretic "Wir bleiben daheim" stickers anywhere in this region, thankfully.)

I couldn't help but do a quick search on "Mir bliibe deheim!" to see if my old college town had come out with a Mutterschbroch-Kampagne yet. If so, alas, it hasn't made it to the Internet.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-03-31, 19:43

I feel like something similar is going on in Serbian. I've seen socijalno distanciranje and društveno distanciranje in some news sources, but I've generally heard people refer to it as izolacija or samoizolacija (self-isolation). My mum says socijalno distanciranje but I don't think that's necessarily typical of people who don't read or use English regularly.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2020-04-01, 7:33

linguoboy wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:(So far I still haven't seen the heretic "Wir bleiben daheim" stickers anywhere in this region, thankfully.)

I couldn't help but do a quick search on "Mir bliibe deheim!" to see if my old college town had come out with a Mutterschbroch-Kampagne yet. If so, alas, it hasn't made it to the Internet.

Well I caught this attempt at writing in a Mundart:

Blievt zeheäm
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-04-02, 3:12

+tr, ka, ku, el

(en) social distancing

(ku) mesafeya civakî

(el) κοινωνική απόσταση

(tr) sosyal mesafe

(ka) სოციალური დისტანცირება
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-17, 10:27

(en) social distancing
(is) samskiptafjarlægð
(no) sosial distansering

(ku) mesafeya civakî

(el) κοινωνική απόσταση

(tr) sosyal mesafe

Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-05-17, 11:26

correcting el

(en) social distancing
(is) samskiptafjarlægð
(no) sosial distansering

(ku) mesafeya civakî

(el) κοινωνική αποστασιοποίηση

(tr) sosyal mesafe

"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

h34

Postby h34 » 2020-05-20, 23:47

+ pl, cz, based on this Wikipedia article.

It's interesting that Czech and Polish use a derivation of 'society' rather than a more literal translation of 'social' (socjalne < socjalny; sociální). Is it because similarly to German sozial, Polish socjalny can carry the notion of 'public-spirited' or '(acting) socially responsible, in a socially responsible manner'? But even then, IMO at least in German the idea of social responsibly makes sense in this context: acting responsibly by allowing others some additional space … But I agree with what has been mentioned about the word Distanzierung: it's rarely associated with physical distance, so it seems a bit counter-intuitive in this context. Then again, soziale Distanzierung is probably the most commonly used term.

(en) social distancing
(is) samskiptafjarlægð
(no) sosial distansering

(cs) společenský odstup :?:
(pl) dystansowanie społeczne :?:

(ku) mesafeya civakî