Looking for the word

Moderator: JackFrost

Woods

Looking for the word

Postby Woods » 2020-03-01, 16:42

That sensation one gets after sitting on one's leg for example, and thus cutting the blood supply to a certain part of the body ("изтръпване" in Bulgarian). Tingle, quiver, prickle, shudder - I looked into those, but none of them seems to match, or at least the definitions in the dictionaries are not clear. How would you call it?

Linguaphile

Re: Looking for the word

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-01, 17:50

Woods wrote:That sensation one gets after sitting on one's leg for example, and thus cutting the blood supply to a certain part of the body ("изтръпване" in Bulgarian). Tingle, quiver, prickle, shudder - I looked into those, but none of them seems to match, or at least the definitions in the dictionaries are not clear. How would you call it?

The verb tingle seems to indicate a less intense feeling than you usually feel with this, but I don't know of a better verb. The feeling itself is tingling (same problem as above) or pins and needles (pretty accurate I think). What people normally actually say is my leg fell asleep or my leg is asleep.

Naava
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-01, 18:12

Linguaphile wrote:What people normally actually say is my leg fell asleep or my leg is asleep.

I've always thought this is so cute! Like, what kind of dreams does a leg have? :mrgreen:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-01, 18:34

Naava wrote:Like, what kind of dreams does a leg have? :mrgreen:

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-03-01, 18:53

Linguaphile wrote:
Woods wrote:That sensation one gets after sitting on one's leg for example, and thus cutting the blood supply to a certain part of the body ("изтръпване" in Bulgarian). Tingle, quiver, prickle, shudder - I looked into those, but none of them seems to match, or at least the definitions in the dictionaries are not clear. How would you call it?

The verb tingle seems to indicate a less intense feeling than you usually feel with this, but I don't know of a better verb. The feeling itself is tingling (same problem as above) or pins and needles (pretty accurate I think). What people normally actually say is my leg fell asleep or my leg is asleep.

What would you use in a medical context?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-01, 19:28

Woods wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:

The patient would most likely describe the symptoms to the doctor as numbness and tingling or pins and needles.
The doctor would call it paresthesia.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-03-01, 20:50

Linguaphile wrote:
Woods wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:

The patient would most likely describe the symptoms to the doctor as numbness and tingling or pins and needles.
The doctor would call it paresthesia.

Thanks!

Accoding to Oxford Dictionaries:
An abnormal sensation, typically tingling or pricking (‘pins and needles’), caused chiefly by pressure on or damage to peripheral nerves.

Hm, I thought it was related to the restriction of blood supply? But I guess that's the thing, thanks for the good explanation.
Last edited by Woods on 2020-03-02, 9:09, edited 1 time in total.

Naava
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-01, 20:51

Linguaphile wrote:
Naava wrote:Like, what kind of dreams does a leg have? :mrgreen:

:rotfl:

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2020-03-02, 10:26

Naava wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:What people normally actually say is my leg fell asleep or my leg is asleep.

I've always thought this is so cute! Like, what kind of dreams does a leg have? :mrgreen:

We also use it in German ("Mein Bein ist eingeschlafen.")
Please correct my mistakes!

Naava
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-02, 10:52

Very nice! 👍

Return to “English”