Moderator:JackFrost

tiuwiu
Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-02-27, 17:27

In between the lines
there's a lot of obscurity
I'm not inclined to reside to maturity
if it's all right, then you're all wrong
but why bounce around to the same down song?
You'd rather run when you can't crawl ...

I know, you know (Psych Theme)
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-02-28, 8:36

I saw him dancin' there by the record machine
I knew he must a been about seventeen
The beat was goin' strong
Playin' my favorite song

Joan Jett - I Love Rock 'n' Roll (the one and only song I ever sang in a concert) :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-02-28, 12:02

You are sixteen going on seventeen
Baby, it´s time to think
Better beware, be canny and careful
Baby, you´re on the brink

<Sixteen going on seventeen>, from the film The Sound Of Music.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-28, 19:54

france-eesti wrote:a bit of messy water

"Dirty" is more appropriate to the context. The core meaning of "messy" is "in a state of disorder" or "creating a state of disorder". A "messy sandwich", for instance, is one that looks disordered and sloppy and/or creates a mess when you try to eat it; it's not a sandwich that is unsafe to eat.

azhong wrote:You could sway the cluster of messy weeds over your head; you could indulge the plentiful moss along your cheek. You need no more to worry about your costume and could wear whatever you like.

(你不妨搖曳著一頭的蓬草,不妨縱容你滿腮的苔蘚;你愛穿什麼就穿什麼。)

"Sway" is generally intransitive; weeds "sway" in the wind, but you "bend" them over your head.
You "indulge" a person or a pet, not an inanimate object like moss; a better translation of 縱容 here would be "tolerate" or "yield to".
"Costume" nowadays means "fancy dress"; the sense of "what one wears" is archaic.

azhong wrote:entering the heart zone of the town.

azhong wrote:Under such a distant overlook from the hilltop, it crawled slowly on like a long worm, a foraging centipede.

I'm confused by this image. An "overlook" is a spot which "overlooks" a portion of countryside. You see things "from" it but not "under" it; something "under an overlook" is effectively blocked from sight.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-05, 6:38

My dog is canny and tries to train me instead of letting me train him.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-06, 17:01

Instead of always telling your kid off for his lack of imagination, try to make him open up to the outside world by showing him those beautiful, shortish videos.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-07, 16:57

She always wore her hair long, but suddenly she wanted shortish trendy cuts.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-12-13, 8:17

There is a particular term in Chinese only for human head hair compared with a more ordinary term for all sorts of body hair (as well as for that of beasts and plants). It is 髮, read as /fa/, different from the latter, 毛, /mao/. This particularlity perhaps indicates some viewpoint of courtesy from ancient China.
Last edited by azhong on 2020-12-14, 0:32, edited 1 time in total.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-13, 12:27

I really don't understand why he's dating this girl, she's awfully ordinary, I really loved the tango player, she had a much more interesting personnality!

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-13, 15:24

On the last day of our holiday in Finland, we watched a performance with choir and solo singers, tango dancers and orchestra musicians.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-12-14, 0:56

My holidays are a slippery loach; I have already been thrown to its tail on my next alert even though I was surely seizing the neck.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-16, 19:47

azhong wrote:I have already been thrown to its tail on my next alert even though I was surely seizing the neck.

I know this is an extended metaphor but I can't make heads or tales of it. (In particular, the use of the word "alert" here is puzzling; the usual meaning is "an alarm or notification", something which normally has nothing to do with holidays or with loaches.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-20, 13:49

Because of the sudden snow storm, the weather suddenly turned cold and the road became muddy and slippery.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-12-21, 3:43

The typical winter weather here was dry. But it drizzled last midnight, and the raindrops kept falling yet, on and off though, on the weekday morning. The wetness might have caused commuters some inconvenience, yet also brought farmers some relief.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-21, 16:08

Because of a system failure, all traffic lights turned green at the same time and caused a traffic chaos.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-12-22, 3:12

At the end of the straight driveway paved with green gravel stood a majestic manor house, surrounded by well maintained meadows. On its left was a playing fountain circled by yews, where a flock of sparrows were drinking and chattering, and on its right was a baroque warm house with colorful flowers blooming inside.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-22, 18:01

The old and mystery castle loomed majestically over the landscape like a sinister giant.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-12-23, 4:02

I saw two men in long cloaks stride straight through the gates without breaking step, as if the dark metal were smoke. Just then, the front door of the castle swung inward at their approach, but no one had visibly opened it. I don't know how to get the mysteries I have witnessed well explained; I am actually wondering there must be something sinister about the men.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-23, 15:23

The new year is coming with long strides.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2020-12-24, 2:52

After a year of effort during his off-duty time and totally on his own labor, Thomas had finally retrofitted a fireplace in the drawing room in time before Christmas. It was quite sumptuous, decorated with a handsome marble mantelpiece surmounted by an ornate gilded mirror; the luxurious style matched well with the existing stone floor and the diamond-paned windows.

Return to “English”