Pseudo-Anglicisms, adapted Anglicisms

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Pseudo-Anglicisms, adapted Anglicisms

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-11, 5:49

Apparently, tubelight is a Tamil pseudo-Anglicism.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-09-20, 22:11

(ja) フロント furonto
(ko) 프런트 /phulenthu/

Both clipped forms of English front desk.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-26, 3:27

Tamil (ta) லூசு lūsu - stupid ("to have a screw loose")

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-20, 18:56

(fr) flasher sur - fall for; go crazy for
English meaning: The core meaning of flash is "shine briefly".

(fr) bob - bucket hat; fisherman's hat
English meaning: The French word is apparently borrowed from the given name Bob, which Wiktionnaire says was used as a nickname for American soldiers during World War II.

(Personally, since I saw le bob mentioned in a context that clearly concerned the head, I confused it with English bob, a short haircut. That's called coiffure à la garçonne in French.)
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-02-26, 12:30

And in Italy bob means bobsleigh

https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-02-26, 16:13

(es) remember - reunion

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-26, 17:04

Saim wrote:(es) remember - reunion

...why?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-03-31, 17:29

(fr) shit nm - (vulgar) cannabis, pot
English meaning: "Shit" can refer to cannabis, but that's because it's essentially a vulgar synonym of "stuff" (e.g. "Semantic narrowing — that shit's potent!")

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-03-31, 19:41

Synalepha wrote:

...why?

It's slang and pretty specific to a type of "reunion" in which a person gets together again (temporarily) with an ex boyfriend or ex girlfriend. I guess the idea is that the two people meet up again to "remember" the relationship they used to have. If they end up dating again, it's no longer a "remember" at that point but rather actual dating; the "remember" refers to a single date or meeting with an ex. You can have a series of remembers with the same person but each one is a single remember and youŕe not in a dating relationship at that point (although by definition you were in the past, and also you might be again in the future, but at that moment itś just a remember). Or at least thatś how I've understood it but it's basically slang below my age group. :lol:
"Peguémonos un remember" is also meme. Maybe in English this would be something like "let's hook up again" or "let's get together for old time's sake" or something.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-03-31, 19:46

Linguaphile wrote:
Synalepha wrote:

...why?

It's slang and pretty specific to a type of "reunion" in which a person gets together again (temporarily) with an ex boyfriend or ex girlfriend.

I've seen it used to refer to a reunion with classmates. Never heard this other meaning, although I only came across it recently. This is for Barcelona by the way (actually I originally heard it in Catalan but contemporary Catalan slang is 99% Spanish slang or Anglicisms filtered through Spanish anyway), maybe Mexican usage is different.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-05-02, 6:22

(fr) cookie nm - chocolate chip cookie
English meaning: "Cookie" is the category a chocolate chip cookie belongs to, equivalent to French biscuit

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-05-02, 7:45

Saim wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:
Synalepha wrote:

I've seen it used to refer to a reunion with classmates. Never heard this other meaning, although I only came across it recently. This is for Barcelona by the way (actually I originally heard it in Catalan but contemporary Catalan slang is 99% Spanish slang or Anglicisms filtered through Spanish anyway), maybe Mexican usage is different.

Well, back in my school days, when I was a little bit less of a hermit, I certainly got to hear the odd anglicism here and there among my classmates: quickie, crush, al full, relax, and a more or less long etc., but I don't remember anyone ever saying, well, 'remember'. :hmm: Then again, like I said, I was only a bit less of a lone wolf than nowadays, so I may not be the most reliable source of info on that. :mrgreen:

Here's an adult one from the land of anime:

ラブジュース - "The vaginal secretions that result from arousal."
Transliterated thus: "rabu-jusu", and literally meaning, you guessed it, "love juice"... 8-)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-08, 13:12

linguoboy wrote:I more often hear swag in the countable sense of "free stuff" (probably because I work with librarians, and we're all about snatching up vendor giveaways at conventions rather than having any sort of style). So I originally interpreted "someone who has swag" as "someone who has free stuff to give away".

It is. I think swagger though is more of showing off what you have even if it isn't countable i.e she's a swagger wouldn't work. To me that makes it slang but who knows. It may actually be a proper word by now :|

As for Anglicisms I have a hard time finding them except sometimes in grammatical constructions where peculiar words are used and may require more than one single listen to understand the meaning behind them :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-06-07, 3:05

(fr) perchman/perchwoman nm/nf - boom operator
English meaning: "Perchman/woman" doesn't exist in English. The term is a compound of the French word perche (boom), respelled to look like the English cognate "perch", and the English suffix -man/woman.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-06-25, 12:45

(it) smart working / smartworking - home office, work from home

I wonder if this is understood outside of Italy. :para:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-06-25, 14:57

OldBoring wrote:(it) smart working / smartworking - home office, work from home

Sounds like a meaningless corporate buzzword to me.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-06-25, 15:33

Is it because people are working from smartphones and other devices? I can see why a word like this could take that meaning in Italian or other non-English languages, since outside of English the term "smart" tends to be associated with those internet-connected "smart" devices (that in this case are what allows people to work remotely) rather than the other meanings "smart" has in English.
But in English, without your explanation, I'd probably instead associate it with the saying "work smarter, not harder" (meaning: finding ways to work more efficiently, getting more accomplished without feeling like you are working "harder") or the mnemonic acronym SMART (used for goal-setting: focusing on specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time-bound goals). One of those two meanings would be what I'd expect a term like "smart working" to have in my workplace. So I wouldn't have understood "smart working" in the correct way without your explanation, but it does make sense.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-06-26, 5:19

Brzeczyszczykiewicz wrote:Here's an adult one from the land of anime:

Transliterated thus: "rabu-jusu", and literally meaning, you guessed it, "love juice"... 8-)

I think I've heard this one in English before.

Hindi (hi) bubble - boob, tit, woman's breast

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-06-26, 10:48

Linguaphile wrote:

Is it because people are working from smartphones and other devices? I can see why a word like this could take that meaning in Italian or other non-English languages, since outside of English the term "smart" tends to be associated with those internet-connected "smart" devices (that in this case are what allows people to work remotely) rather than the other meanings "smart" has in English.
But in English, without your explanation, I'd probably instead associate it with the saying "work smarter, not harder" (meaning: finding ways to work more efficiently, getting more accomplished without feeling like you are working "harder") or the mnemonic acronym SMART (used for goal-setting: focusing on specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time-bound goals). One of those two meanings would be what I'd expect a term like "smart working" to have in my workplace. So I wouldn't have understood "smart working" in the correct way without your explanation, but it does make sense.

In Italian legislation there's a term "lavoro agile", which literally means agile work, where agile means flexible, in the sense that one is not required to show up at the workplace at a fixed hour like traditional offices. but as long as they finish the tasks, they can work anywhere at any time, using a computer with Internet.
Corporates who like anglicisms coined the English expression smart working which really means flexible working, as in flexible location.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-06-26, 10:50

vijayjohn wrote:
Brzeczyszczykiewicz wrote:Here's an adult one from the land of anime:

I think I've heard this one in English before.

Hindi (hi) bubble - boob, tit, woman's breast

This is an adapted loanword in Cantonese:
- boob, tit, breast
from English ball

This term has entered Mandarin slang too.

Return to “General Language Forum”