Random language thread 6

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Antea
Re: Random language thread 6

Postby Antea » 2020-01-23, 20:33

I also was curious about this. They are language coaches or something like that, isn’t it? But couldn’t we all be language coaches ? :hmm: I don’t really understand what they do.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-23, 21:37

So, randomly, I was pleasantly surprised by how much Hawai'ian I saw on Maui. It certainly had more of a presence than any other indigenous language in any of the US states I've visited.

For starters, there are hardly any non-Hawai'ian toponyms on the island. And that means not just settlements but roads, landmarks, and so forth. Even resorts and other private businesses make widespread use of the language. (The Safeway, for instance, had bilingual signs.) Moreover, in 2000 the Park Service started using the correct orthography for proper names (e.g. "Waiʻānapanapa" instead of "Waianapanapa") and others seem to be following suit, though not as consistently.

It wasn't surprising to hear species without common English names like the naupaka and the naʻenaʻe named in Hawai'ian, but this also applied to plants like the ʻāhinahina (or "silversword") and the hau tree (a hibiscus). Most surprising of all, the passionfruit was universally called "lilikoʻi" even though it was only imported from South America relatively recently.

I didn't hear anyone speaking it, sadly, apart from a few polite words like "aloha" and "mahalo" ("thanks"). But there was one radio station which broadcast almost solely Hawai'ian-language songs. I hear there are immersion programmes in the schools now but I'm not sure how successful they are given the poor state of public education there.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-28, 18:56

So now I'm full into learning Hawai'ian. Last night I unearthed my old textbook and last week I started Duolingo. And I have to say I did not expect so many parallels to Irish and Welsh. But there they are: default VSO order, zero-copula sentences, relative constructions expressed with possessives, etc. That must've generated some crazy contact hypotheses back in the day!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-01-28, 19:20

linguoboy wrote:So now I'm full into learning Hawai'ian.

I was also interested in Hawaiian sometime ago, and I even bought this book
https://images.app.goo.gl/8zW5mMzN2zTiXr8F8

I should reanimate the Polynesian thread :hmm:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-28, 20:02

Antea wrote:
linguoboy wrote:So now I'm full into learning Hawai'ian.

I was also interested in Hawaiian sometime ago, and I even bought this book
https://images.app.goo.gl/8zW5mMzN2zTiXr8F8

I should reanimate the Polynesian thread :hmm:

I would contribute!

I did something I almost never do: I looked for YouTube videos to clear up pronunciation questions. I enjoyed the ones from the Speak Hawaiian channel because she explains the grammar in Pidgin (Hawaiian Creole English).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-28, 20:05

I forgot to mention a random language experience from last weekend: There was a busker on the el who sang a couple songs in French. I recognised one as a cover of "House of the Rising Sun" but I didn't know the other so I asked him the tile (in French). He was immediately curious where I'd learned French (he was Haitian himself) and we chatted for a little bit until I had to get off at my stop.

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-02-01, 21:14

Coronavirus evolved from a tragedy to a farce when it comes to its Greek spelling.

When the news first broke, journalists calqued it as κορόναϊός, which rubs most of us the wrong way because it doesn't respect Greek compounding rules (i.e. take the bare root of the first element, stick it to a compounding marker -o-, then attach the second element and inflect it). As readers started bothering journalists about it, both κοροναϊός and κορονοϊός could be seen.

Then someone had the brilliant idea toask Greece's most over-rated linguist about the correct spelling and he of course had to show off like he does, by saying that both options are wrong.

According to him, even what most of us instinctively prefer, i.e. κορονοϊός is wrong, because a) the three-vowel sequence -όϊό- is something that Greek traditionally abhors, and b) corona has an Ancient Greek etymology that no-one remembers, so it should be spelled the Ancient way, as was κορώνη. He thinks the "correct way" is κορωνιός, but in his benevolence he is willing to allow us to use κορωνοϊός because the urge to read the ι in -νιός as a a glide instead of a vowel is just too great.

After his little show, now newspapers have four different spellings even in the same article, including totally unfounded spellings like κωρονοϊός, which kinda proves my point that no-one remembers "κορώνη" is a Greek word (it does sound very much Latin to a Modern Greek speaker, and we did in fact reborrow it from Italian, hence the Ancient -η turning into a Latinate -α).

This guy sells dictionaries that present his ridiculous spellings of everyday high-frequency works as facts.

PS. Credit where credit is due, he is a co-author on a Modern Greek grammar reference book that is quite decent.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-02-02, 9:38

And I wonder why isn't coronavirus "crown virus" in English.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-02, 15:20

OldBoring wrote:And I wonder why isn't coronavirus "crown virus" in English.

Because a corona isn’t a crown?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-02-02, 15:45

But but the solar corona!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-02-02, 15:56

Because it’s in Latin :hmm:

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-05, 18:14

Was just thinking about the English construction "can't seem to do sth" because taken word-for-word, it means "not be able to seem to do sth" but in reality it means "seem to not be able to do sth". The construction ignores the normal scope guidelines in English, and I just take it for granted.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-02-06, 13:32

I just realised that Spanish cebo (bait) and Italian cibo (food) are cognates. I wonder how it didn’t occur to me sooner,I only realised when I looked up the verb cebar (to bait, fatten, prime or foment) and the RAE gave the Latin etymology.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-06, 18:55

So the modern Hawa'ian term for "stepparent", makua kōlea, sounds like it should mean "Korean parent". Kōlea "Korea(n)" is obviously a borrowing of English "Korea". But kōlea is a native name for the Pacific golden plover (Pluvialis fulva), a migratory bird. Its name was applied metonymically to people who came to Hawai'i to make their fortune and then left again. From that, it became extended to "one who claims friendship or kinship that does not exist" (P&E) and is now used to translate "step-" in kinship terms.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-06, 20:37

I don't enjoy reading Korean texts that use a high percentage (>80%) of Sino-Korean vocabulary but little to no Hanja. They are so rife with homophonous morphemes and nearly identical looking words that readability really suffers. The problem is most apparent when you try to skim such texts. It's painfully slow.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-06, 21:00

Yasna wrote:I don't enjoy reading Korean texts that use a high percentage (>80%) of Sino-Korean vocabulary but little to no Hanja. They are so rife with homophonous morphemes and nearly identical looking words that readability really suffers. The problem is most apparent when you try to skim such texts. It's painfully slow.

Same. But then, I cut my teeth on mixed script, so it still seems most natural to me.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-06, 21:23

linguoboy wrote:Same. But then, I cut my teeth on mixed script, so it still seems most natural to me.

It would be nice if Koreans would warm up again to using mixed script in some contexts (no one's suggesting that they text with mixed script). Or else they could pull an Atatürk and partially purge the language of Sino-Korean vocabulary, but that makes less sense to me.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-15, 15:38

Dormouse559 wrote:"can't seem to do sth"

I have no idea what this means and have not heard it before. You said it's an expression, like it's common vernacular. I don't know where but like i said it sounds like nonsense to me :)

I have heard I can't seem to be up to it but my guess is you're talking about some other meaning here
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-15, 15:45

Gormur wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:"can't seem to do sth"

I have no idea what this means and have not heard it before. You said it's an expression, like it's common vernacular. I don't know where but like i said it sounds like nonsense to me

Really? Like the expressions “I can’t seem to do anything right!” and “I can’t seem to get anything done today!” are moonman talk to you?

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-15, 15:48

Definitely not. That do does not fit there tho :hmm:

Maybe i'm looking too much into it :)
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Return to “General Language Forum”