You know you're a language nerd when...

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: You know you're a language nerd when...

Postby Osias » 2018-11-22, 22:39

IpseDixit wrote:You know you're a language nerd when you cringe or roll your eyes every time someone says language X is the hardest in the world (especially if it's an indo-european language).

They say that a lot about Portuguese!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-23, 1:33

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:You know you're a language nerd when you cringe or roll your eyes every time someone says language X is the hardest in the world (especially if it's an indo-european language).

Being occupied 24/7 with eye-rolling only?!?? :hmm:

:?:

What I meant is... people are saying that "all the time".
Just like "everybody speaks English". They also say it "all the time".
So if we would do some eye-rolling whenever someone says that... then we couldn't spend too much time on anything else. :D , but I do mean it.

I think IpseDixit means every time you see someone saying language X is the hardest.

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-12-05, 6:58

... you call this thread dangerous (because you could get lost in it when reading it too much, but you force yourself not to :)), while already having realized a long time ago that you are a language nerd anyway.

So this is kind of an additional confirmation.

... when you learned how to _always_ apply brevity instead of unnecessary verbosity, but then still write a long sentence like the one above, while also knowing why it doesn't contain unnecessary verbosity in this very case, nor anything that is too complicated for this very thread's very purpose.

... when you return to this thread after already having posted some bizarre-esque poetry before.

... when you make up "too many" English Words Combos because you Simply Love Writing That Way because you consider it an Efficient Way To Make Many Mental Hash Tags because you Already Experienced Too Many Times That They Really Do Work For You.

... when you conca(t/tt)inate several parts of the sentence by using "because because because".

... when mentioning one Language Nerd Reason (or I myself would prefer Language Geek Reason) reminds you of another one.

... when you know how SGP feels like right now because of forcing himself to stop adding any more lines to this post, while also realizing why this doesn't make him sad or anything. However, of course none of these reasons is a requirement for being a Language Nerd *intentionally pointing out the obvious because it is On-Topic in This Very Thread* #BigBigOnTopic #HashTagWithoutCashBack #StrangeRhymesWithoutLimes
this is a reboot

Sumsum

Postby Sumsum » 2019-10-03, 0:37

Your speech patterns violate linguistic universals.
but appear to be quefely knormal.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-03, 10:39

.. you subscribe to a language forum and get welcome messages by existing members in an indirect way.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-06, 3:55

In an indirect way? :hmm:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-06, 4:40

I'm not sure if that makes sense in English. Maybe it should be "indirectly".

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-09, 6:28

It does make sense in English. I just have no idea what you're talking about. How do you get indirect messages?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-09, 10:50

vijayjohn wrote:It does make sense in English. I just have no idea what you're talking about. How do you get indirect messages?

I mean my own message saying something about being a language nerd but actually criticizing the person before me. The word probably is not 'indirect'. On Twitter is called 'subtweet'.

I remember in the book 'Sphere' when the characters are on surface theorizing about the origins of the said sphere but actually are sending passive-agressive messages for each other.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-14, 1:20

Osias wrote:I mean my own message saying something about being a language nerd but actually criticizing the person before me. The word probably is not 'indirect'. On Twitter is called 'subtweet'.

I'd write "On Twitter, it's called a 'subtweet'." (The comma definitely isn't necessary, though, unless I suppose you're trying to be prescriptively correct like I occasionally try to be).

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-14, 1:39

... you use proxies to watch Netflix series that are available legally on your country, only for hearing them dubbed in a foreign language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-14, 4:24

I'd say "to hear."

...instead of just staying on topic, you try to correct people's grammar errors, but you also know that not all native speakers will necessarily agree with your corrections.

xBlackHeartx

Postby xBlackHeartx » 2019-12-02, 3:54

...the most facsinating part of meeting a new person to you is their accent, or any other strange quirks you can find in their speech. This might only apply to phonologists like me though.

Or how about this: when you can't understand how someone can't distinguish two phones that to you are obvious. And yes, I have seriously had this happen to me on more than one occasion. In particular when it comes to people or pets with Spanish names.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-05, 0:19

...when more than 90% of what you do in a day involves languages no one around you or in your family speaks.

...when you join online communities, see generic topics (e.g. for sharing music or just randomly chatting), and immediately start fantasizing about using other (often obscure) languages in them.
Michael wrote:I plan on publishing two books on Pizzonese Neapolitan: Grammatica del napoletano pizzonese and Vocabolario tematico del napoletano pizzonese. I will write them in Italian first since that's where I need to reach out to in order to receive linguistic help and support. Then I will translate the works into English - Spanish - Portuguese. How many of you would ever be interested in a copy?

OH SHIT YES PLEASE!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-01-05, 0:45

...when the father of one of your children’s classmates complains about the English teacher supposedly having said in general to the class that there were such amount of bad results in the last written test, that he could use the tests in the toilet.
And the first reaction you have is to ask: “And did he said that in English?”... :para:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-07, 5:14

:lol:

...when everything you're reading in print is either in a language you're studying (not your native language) or a textbook for learning another language.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2020-01-07, 20:43

Quand tu parles toujours avec tes petites amies en des langues qu'elles ne comprennent pas du tout, mais après des mois, elles commencent à te dire "tusen takk" et "god morgen" et "je t'aime" - des phrases qu'elles ont apprit de tes convos. :whistle:
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-08, 8:36

Sarabi wrote:Quand tu parles toujours avec tes petites amies en des langues qu'elles ne comprennent pas du tout, mais après des mois, elles commencent à te dire "tusen takk" et "god morgen" et "je t'aime" - des phrases qu'elles ont apprit de tes convos. :whistle:

Je pense qu'on dit "dans des langues," "après quelques mois" et "des phrases qu'elles ont apprises."

...when you've bought so many language books from the same few bookstores that you figure they should give you a discount by now.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2020-01-08, 8:44

vijayjohn wrote:
Sarabi wrote:Quand tu parles toujours avec tes petites amies en des langues qu'elles ne comprennent pas du tout, mais après des mois, elles commencent à te dire "tusen takk" et "god morgen" et "je t'aime" - des phrases qu'elles ont apprit de tes convos. :whistle:

Je pense qu'on dit "dans des langues," "après quelques mois" et "des phrases qu'elles ont apprises."

Merci bien. Je crois que tu as raison. :)
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-08, 19:02

...you're holding in a fart and get annoyed because you can't remember the word for "fart" in Welsh and you're certain you once knew it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “General Language Forum”