Multilingual True Friends

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
Vlürch
Posts: 900
Joined: 2014-05-06, 8:42
Gender: male
Location: Roihuvuori, Helsinki
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby Vlürch » 2019-08-25, 20:18

Naava wrote:Maybe they used the word kiro(t)?

Ohh, for some reason I didn't even know that. :o Interesting, thanks. I don't even know how long it has been since I learned a Finnish word, not counting derogatory slang used on Twitter...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24708
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Yuanlin, Changhua County
Country: TW Taiwan (臺灣)
Contact:

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-27, 2:58

Romani (rom) daj [ˈd̪aj] - mother
Tamil (ta) தாய [ˈt̪aːjə] - mother

Malayalam also has തായ [ˈt̪aːja], but this is an outdated term in Malayalam and also apparently dispreferred since it's the specific term for 'mother' used in the word for 'motherfucker'.
Vlürch wrote:the nominalising suffix -us in Finnish is apparently a very recent development if I'm understanding Wiktionary correctly?

Where'd you get that impression? I tried looking in Wiktionary in both English and Finnish but didn't find that claim.

User avatar
razlem
Posts: 2274
Joined: 2011-01-10, 3:28
Real Name: Ben
Gender: male
Location: San Francisco
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby razlem » 2020-01-06, 6:27

Greek (el) βάρβαρος foreign/non-Greek (Ancient Greek)
Choctaw (cho) balbaha foreign speech/foreigner/babbling

The Greek word is likely onomatopoeic for unintelligible/foreign languages. It turns out, the word for "foreign speech/babbling" in Choctaw is quite similar structurally- "balbaha" (used in the place name for New Orleans- Balbancha, "place where foreign languages are spoken"). Curious if other languages have similar forms for "foreigner" or "foreign language".
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Synalepha

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-06, 9:25

razlem wrote:Curious if other languages have similar forms for "foreigner" or "foreign language".


Well, not for "foreign language" or "foreigner" but the Italian word for "stuttering" is balbuzie, and the Latin word for a stutterer is balbus (in Italian balbuziente).

User avatar
Luís
Forum Administrator
Posts: 7820
Joined: 2002-07-12, 22:44
Location: Lisboa
Country: PT Portugal (Portugal)

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby Luís » 2020-01-06, 9:38

Synalepha wrote:Well, not for "foreign language" or "foreigner" but the Italian word for "stuttering" is balbuzie, and the Latin word for a stutterer is balbus (in Italian balbuziente).


In Portuguese balbuciar (same origin) means to babble, to talk in an incomprehensible way.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Synalepha

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-06, 9:44

Luís wrote:
Synalepha wrote:Well, not for "foreign language" or "foreigner" but the Italian word for "stuttering" is balbuzie, and the Latin word for a stutterer is balbus (in Italian balbuziente).


In Portuguese balbuciar (same origin) means to babble, to talk in an incomprehensible way.


We also have balbettare but it means "to stutter", while the Portuguese "balbuciar" would be blaterare in Italian.

Linguaphile
Posts: 2603
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-01-06, 14:35

Synalepha wrote:
Luís wrote:
Synalepha wrote:Well, not for "foreign language" or "foreigner" but the Italian word for "stuttering" is balbuzie, and the Latin word for a stutterer is balbus (in Italian balbuziente).


In Portuguese balbuciar (same origin) means to babble, to talk in an incomprehensible way.


We also have balbettare but it means "to stutter", while the Portuguese "balbuciar" would be blaterare in Italian.


Spanish balbucear & balbucir: to stutter, stammer, babble, speak with difficulty

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23765
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Multilingual True Friends

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-30, 17:33

(haw) day
(ga) day

On a related note, "tomorrow" and "yesterday" are adverbial in both languages and need the addition of "day" in order to be nominalised, e.g. (haw) o ka lā ʻapōpō "tomorrow's", (ga) an lae amárach "idem.".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons


Return to “General Language Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron