Estonian grammar discussions

Moderator: aaakknu

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Estonian grammar discussions

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-17, 13:02

I'm not sure whether this is going to be helpful, but sometimes threads with useful information get eventually lost among the new ones, and sometimes the same questions get asked over and over, so when I saw the threads about "accussative / partitive" and "future tense", I thought I would make it sticky and easy to find, as those topics are often confusing for beginners (and not only beginners, honestly :D )

We can use these threads for further discussion of the topics.

1. Future tense
2. Accusative / partitive cases
3. -ma and -da infinitives

We could create other threads about difficult grammar topics, it could be some kind of a "series", what do you think?
If you like this idea, what topics do you think we should cover next?
I'm not a native speaker, so my knowledge is not perfect, I frequently make mistakes myself, but I thought I could use "Eesti keele grammatika" from the eki.ee website or other helpful Estonian sources that aren't accessible to beginners and translate some useful information. Ainurakne could also write some explanations and examples, since he is a native speaker (if he is willing and has the time to do so, of course).

What do you think?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Re: Estonian grammar discussions

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-12-17, 14:12

aaakknu wrote:I'm not sure whether this is going to be helpful, but sometimes threads with useful information get eventually lost among the new ones, and sometimes the same questions get asked over and over, so when I saw the threads about "accussative / partitive" and "future tense", I thought I would make it sticky and easy to find, as those topics are often confusing for beginners (and not only beginners, honestly :D )

We can use these threads for further discussion of the topics.

1. Future tense
2. Accusative / partitive cases

We could create other threads about difficult grammar topics, it could be some kind of a "series", what do you think?
If you like this idea, what topics do you think we should cover next?
I'm not a native speaker, so my knowledge is not perfect, I frequently make mistakes myself, but I thought I could use "Eesti keele grammatika" from the eki.ee website or other helpful Estonian sources that aren't accessible to beginners and translate some useful information. Ainurakne could also write some explanations and examples, since he is a native speaker (if he is willing and has the time to do so, of course).

What do you think?

I like your idea, too! I also can post translations of explanations from the EKI site, or from some of the texts I have. Off the top of my head I am not sure which topics would be the most useful, but maybe after I look the look through the materials I will post something. Or anyone reading this can offer suggestions regarding topics they'd like to see.

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2019-12-17, 16:40

I think I have explained the difference between ma- and da-infinitive more than a few times. The most recent I found, seems to be this - unfortunately it's in Estonian, though. A lot of them are probably buried in Küsimusi eesti keele kohta, together with lots of more good stuff -- that thread used to be quite active a few years back and was the default place for anything grammar related.

aaakknu wrote:Ainurakne could also write some explanations and examples, since he is a native speaker (if he is willing and has the time to do so, of course).
Sure. If anyone would tell me what to write about.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-12-18, 0:22

ainurakne wrote:I think I have explained the difference between ma- and da-infinitive more than a few times.

Indeed you have! :rotfl:
I doubt this is even all of them:

ma- and da- infinitives
ma- and da-infinitives, continued
-nud/-tud, -ma/-da (eesti keeles)
when to use the ma-infinitive
verbs that require the ma-infinitive
short discussion about ma- and da-infinitives
da-infinitive without et
relative past-present-future formed using ma-infinitive forms (inessive, illative, elative)
more about inessive, illative, elative verb forms with -ma

Well, it just goes to show that aaakknu's idea is a good one. If we had had a thread for ma-/da-infinitives, when new people asked we would have just directed them to that thread, instead of starting over with the explanations.

Edit: I just created a thread and post for this topic.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-18, 23:06

Linguaphile wrote:Edit: I just created a thread and post for this topic.

Thank you! :woohoo: I just added it to the list.
I will post something later too. Maybe tomorrow.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-12-27, 1:04

Added these grammar topics as well:

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”