[Game] Creating sentences

Moderator:JackFrost

tiuwiu
Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-08, 8:11

The young girl was so buoyant that she made all of us feel crushed.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

azhong

Postby azhong » 2019-12-09, 12:35

Queequeg started dressing by putting his hat on, then--still minus his pants--he looked for his boots. He crushed himself under the bed when I inferred he was booting himself, though by no law of manners is any man required to be private when putting on his boots.
(Adapted from Ch 4, Moby Dick)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-09, 16:07

I inferred from our conversation that he will sing a song at Christmas this year.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-09, 19:27

A little less conversation, a little more action, was what I felt obliged to say to those two trainees who spent two hours chatting over a cold cup of coffee after lunch, but they didn't seem I was to be taken seriously.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-09, 22:13

I have no idea why I thought it was "spleen". :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2019-12-10, 2:33

Well, was it because of my clumsy English? Anyway, I know I'm still a trainee in English learning, but by the by not at all in navigation. I am quite an experienced sailor; I can steer a pair of oars well during the waves, I can perform flamenco and tango on swing deck, and, not boasting, I can dialogue with dolphins and seagulls.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-10, 13:29

I once read a Marvel's Thor parody only with Egypt instead of Nordic mythology that a character had to steer the Solar System.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-10, 21:06

Seriously, could you watch the Prince of Egypt until its very end and not shed a single tear?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2019-12-11, 1:32

"Maybe 'to steer a pair of oars' is awkward and should be better replaced with 'to steer a boat with a pair of oars'."
After muttering this in annoyance, his tears started to fall along his cheeks. But soon the strong seawind blew them dry.
Last edited by azhong on 2019-12-11, 1:47, edited 1 time in total.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-11, 1:44

The beggars from this town never say anything clearly, they only mutter. I ALWAYS ask "what" even knowing what they want because I'm that dumb.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2019-12-11, 11:50

There was only one guesthouse in this small town, with only one room still available. And that's how I got acquainted with Ben. Moonlight flew in through the window when we started our polite, social chat, and I didn't expect this occasional talk, with a casual beginning, would have changed my life from then on.
Last edited by azhong on 2019-12-12, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-11, 15:41

Under the beautiful moonlight, we sat by the campfire and roasted marshmallows.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-13, 11:30

Don't be mistaken - Jannipäev, Estonian celebration, is about bonfire and not campfire - don't go telling Estonians they have to jump over the bonfire, you'll be making yourself enemies.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2019-12-15, 0:20

On 23 August 1989, approximately two million of Estonians, Latvians, and Lithuanians joined their hands across their homelands to form a human chain which spanned more than six hundred kilometers. It was a peaceful political demonstration and was called the Baltic Chain or Chain of Freedom. (Adapted from wikipedia)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-15, 10:54

The average life span of a mouse is shorter than a turtle.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-16, 9:59

The turtle was feasting on kelp and posidonia when a Portuguese man o' war bumped into her whilst sailing the most whimsical gales of the Atlantic.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-16, 15:53

The Portuguese men o' war laughed mischievously as they hid behind a large algae leaf so that the thick moon fish, swimming around hungry for a snack, could not see them.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-16, 19:53

I was swimming against the stream when I realized I had forgotten my umbrella.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-16, 20:18

With perfunctory derring-do, I ventured outside without an umbrella. The pluvious gales were ululating against my whey face. I tried to plough through the inundated byway that petered into the city, but suddenly, like a schlemiel, I fell into a pond that I hadn't realized was there. Two kids looking at me through the sash window of their house, cachinnated in a way that sounded almost like a threnody.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2019-12-17, 1:09

Will you be my schlemiel? And let me be your schlimazel.
(A schlemiel is an inept, clumsy person. The term is often presented alongside schlimazel, an chronically unlucky person. A Yiddish saying explains that "a schlemiel is somebody who often spills his soup and a schlimazel is the person it lands on".
Both schlemiel and schlimazel are English words of Yiddish origin, and so is bagel.)

Return to “English”