Colour names ENG vs FRE

Moderator:JackFrost

Lutrinae
Colour names ENG vs FRE

Postby Lutrinae » 2019-11-19, 10:32

Hello :)

I've always been really into colours, and I like to call them by their different shades instead of just blue/green/yellow, etc.

It's already an issue sometimes in my own language because people beg to differ about what are the names but it's worst when I want to find the equivalent, for example in english!

I was looking for the equivalent of maroon, and if I look at any online dictionary it gives me bordeaux.

But bordeaux's equivalent is supposed to be burgundy. And when I looked more in details I found out that bordeaux/burgundy is red + purple while maroon is red + brown.

Anyone has an idea of what would be the translation of maroon in french then? Or we might not have a name for that color?

EDIT: And we already use marron to designate any kind of brown, even though it comes from the fruit color and it would be a good match XD
Thanks for any correction :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Colour names ENG vs FRE

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-19, 11:06

Hi Lutrinae!
Bordeaux is more specific. Bordeaux is indeed redish, not so brown.
Maroon is marron, simply. But brown is also marron.
I know brown should be "brun" but we don't use it except for hair and bears :lol:

Voici un nuancier :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Lutrinae

Re: Colour names ENG vs FRE

Postby Lutrinae » 2019-11-19, 14:41

Yes that's what I was saying, that since we use marron for brun (brown) it doesn't seem that we have a word for that specific tint of brown that is maroon. I am not sure if it's clear :lol:

And all dictionaries are translating maroon as bordeaux which seems incorrect to me.

PS: J'adore le nuancier :blush:
Thanks for any correction :)

Return to “French (Français)”