TAC 2019-2020 - aaakknu

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2019 - Salajane (Austronesian)

Postby aaakknu » 2019-09-23, 10:45

Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-24, 7:07

aaakknu wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wow, that's a lot of words!

I haven't actually memorized them yet. :)

I know, but that's still a lot of words!
vijayjohn wrote:Did you pass the test?

I don't know yet. But I think I can't fail it, the test was to determine my level before the start of the course.

I thought you said you'd find out five days ago, but okay. When will you find out how you did on the test?

Btw yes, I do intend to get back to Indonesian and the Papuan languages on my list. :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-09-24, 7:15

vijayjohn wrote:I thought you said you'd find out five days ago, but okay. When will you find out how you did on the test?

I just got the results today. It's 43/100.

vijayjohn wrote:Btw yes, I do intend to get back to Indonesian and the Papuan languages on my list. :)

That's so cool!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-25, 23:29

aaakknu wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I thought you said you'd find out five days ago, but okay. When will you find out how you did on the test?

I just got the results today. It's 43/100.

Oh! :o Is that a passing score?
vijayjohn wrote:Btw yes, I do intend to get back to Indonesian and the Papuan languages on my list. :)

That's so cool!

Thanks! :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-11-07, 8:37

I left this forum for some time, because of all the events that happened.

A couple of weeks ago they forced us to transfer to another university on Java, because of the earthquakes. They decided (instead of us!) that it's not safe to stay, even though I don't think it was that bad, I had no choice, unfortunately. (I'm still thinking whether to call my embassy or not).
I and my friends are now all in different cities.

It's been so much stress during the last few weeks, and obviously I didn't think much about language learning. Honestly I feel confused and not sure what to do. When I feel bad, I want to go home, but maybe it's not the best option.

I'm thinking about visiting Jakarta this weekend, and Kuala Lumpur / Malaysia the weekend after that. Or maybe later. I want to visit universities there (University of Indonesia, University of Malaya, National University of Malaysia) to see if I would like to do my Master's there.

I feel like I don't have much energy now, I feel passive, lazy, sometimes indifferent.

What to do with my"language learning plan"? Should I continue only with Indonesian?

I don't know.
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-07, 19:23

aaakknu wrote:I feel like I don't have much energy now, I feel passive, lazy, sometimes indifferent.

I think most of us feel this way. :P
What to do with my"language learning plan"? Should I continue only with Indonesian?

I don't know.

If you're stressed out by other things and don't have time for languages, I guess that would make sense; don't worry about your language-learning plan for now. At some point, you'll be less stressed out, and then you can go back to thinking about how to plan out which languages you want to learn. :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-06, 3:56

vijayjohn wrote:If you're stressed out by other things and don't have time for languages, I guess that would make sense; don't worry about your language-learning plan for now. At some point, you'll be less stressed out, and then you can go back to thinking about how to plan out which languages you want to learn. :)

I'm thinking about Javanese now)
I've been sick for a week, but now I am feeling good, so I started studying again.
I have some more ideas, which I will post later.
I finally feel like I have more energy now, hopefully it will last longer.
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-12-14, 4:28

Hey Salajane, are you still there? How's it going? :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-16, 5:01

vijayjohn wrote:Hey Salajane, are you still there? How's it going? :)

Everything is ok) What do you mean by"there"?
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-16, 5:20

I started learning music on my own. I have played an instrument when I was at school, but then I abandoned it for a long time. Now I got a new inspiration)
I'm trying to learn singing and also recorder and dizi (Chinese flute). I'm enjoying it so much that I forgot about languages for some time.

My Indonesian classes are better now, because at first they were too easy.

I'd like to get myself an Old Tupi grammar and "Lirica portuguesa e tupi". I could not find them on the internet, so maybe I can order them. Does anybody here have it / seen it?
If yes, what is your opinion?

I'd like to learn more about Indonesian sign language, but I am not sure where to look for people who know it and whom to ask.

This week I was trying to translate the favourite song of my mother from Spanish into Ukrainian, so that she can understand it. I want to sing it for her in Ukrainian when I return. I have made a bit of progress with it, but I am still working on it, cause it's not that easy to make it fit the same melody.

Yesterday I had the random idea to compose something) I thought it would be fun, but it's actually very difficult. I took a poem from the internet, and tried to come up with a melody for it. Did the first line yesterday, but I am not satisfied at all.
I love the idea of having "my own" song, so I will continue trying and maybe I'll succeed.

That's it.
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-12-16, 13:04

aaakknu wrote:

It just means "are you still around (the forum)?". It's commonly used on things like the phone, say if there is a pause and you're wondering if the other person on still on the line. Or at least that's my best guess without further context from Vijay.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-17, 12:15

I don't spend much time on unilang anymore. I'm mostly reading the messages, not writing. But I am still around :)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-17, 12:19

I bought a book of Indonesian songs. Going to translate and learn to sing them.
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-24, 16:52

Still trying to translate that Spanish song.
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-28, 8:05

I have just found this:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/education/ski ... toolbox_en

There are 74 speeches in Estonian, 293 in Spanish and 478 in English.

Do you know about any other interpreting practice resources?

Also, I am going to translate these poems:

https://kodu.ut.ee/~lipmaa/luule/arhiiv/AlliksaarA.php
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-12-28, 17:00

Väga lahe! ¡Genial! :partyhat: Suur aitäh lingi eest y muchas gracias por el enlace.

aaakknu wrote:Also, I am going to translate these poems:

https://kodu.ut.ee/~lipmaa/luule/arhiiv/AlliksaarA.php
Kivi kotti!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-02, 7:06

Я учився мало українські мові. Скоро я буду на Тайвані, а знаю людину, котрий живе в Малайзії. :)

(I'm not sure whether that was understandable or not, so here's the English version of what I was trying to say, just in case it wasn't understandable: I learned a little bit of Ukrainian. I'll be in Taiwan soon, and I know someone who lives in Malaysia).
księżycowy wrote:
aaakknu wrote:

It just means "are you still around (the forum)?". It's commonly used on things like the phone, say if there is a pause and you're wondering if the other person on still on the line. Or at least that's my best guess without further context from Vijay.

Pretty much. Or even just "are you still alive?" :lol:

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2020-03-19, 19:47

vijayjohn wrote:Я учився мало українські мові. Скоро я буду на Тайвані, а знаю людину, котрий живе в Малайзії. :)

(I'm not sure whether that was understandable or not, so here's the English version of what I was trying to say, just in case it wasn't understandable: I learned a little bit of Ukrainian. I'll be in Taiwan soon, and I know someone who lives in Malaysia).

"Я учив трохи українську мову. Скоро я буду на Тайвані, і/але ("і" means "and", "але" means "but"; "а" is more like "sino" in Spanish, while "але" is like "pero") знаю людину, котра ("людина" is feminine) живе в Малайзії".

Дуже рада, що ти вчиш українську. Успіху! :)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2020-03-19, 19:51

Linguaphile wrote:Väga lahe! ¡Genial! :partyhat: Suur aitäh lingi eest y muchas gracias por el enlace.

Võta heaks!
Kivi kotti!

Aitäh!
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2019-2020 - aaakknu

Postby aaakknu » 2020-03-19, 19:55

I decided to change my learning strategy. I'm going to do extensive reading / listening with the aim of acquiring new vocabulary naturally from seeing it repeatedly in context. I did it with English and it worked pretty well (and still does). Looking up every unknown word in the dictionary is time-consuming and often unnecessary, as the meaning is clear from context. I haven't finished reading any Estonian book precisely because I stubbornly wanted to memorize every single new work from a chapter before moving on and it was very discouraging.
I feel like my knowledge of Estonian and Spanish is already good enough for this strategy to work with native materials.
(And I just feel lazy to do anything more than this)

I'm reading "Hingede öö" by Karl Ristikivi and a collection of poetry by Juhan Liiv.

Haven't chosen anything for Spanish yet.

I feel like I hit the language learning plateau in all my languages simultaneously and it's demotivating.
Not sure how to deal with it. I feel like I am not making any progress.
TAC 2019

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”