Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Prowler
Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Prowler » 2019-08-30, 20:21

just finished watching Lucy (2014) starring Scarlett Johansson and it was... well, I can't think of the right adjective. I actually had no idea what I was about to watch. I practically picked this movie randomly. So it was quite a surprise.

I notice reviews on letterboxd are quite mixed. Well, I dunno, I personally enjoyed it. It's basically a sci-fi movie, so you always gotta take such movies wit ha grain of salt. Evern Morgan Freeman's character said rather early in the movie: "Now we are entering the realm of science fiction, and we don’t know any more than the dog who watches the moon." So yeah, it's a sci-fi movie. So what if, at the end:

► Show Spoiler

I was entertained. It was tense and I didn't use it as a science lesson. Sure, it's a bit pretentious at times and hardly realistic, but again, the director clearly wanted to entertain, so he took some freedoms with it.

Oh well, what do you guys think of this film?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-31, 12:44

Yesterday I saw Yesterday. I was better than what I was expecting. I intend to see it again soon with my father. I also intend to not tell him anything about the movie beforehand and see how he reacts. :whistle:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-09, 3:33

vijayjohn wrote:I recently watched bits and pieces of another Malayalam movie called Chithram (1988). This was apparently one of those movies that I played over and over again when I was little, and I also played the songs from this movie on an audio cassette throughout a long car trip around the same time.

My mom's been watching a lot of Malayalam movies from around this time period lately and wanted to watch one with me, so we watched this together today.
The description of this movie on Wikipedia is wrong; although it certainly has its lighthearted moments, it is not a comedy at all, let alone a screwball comedy. It is about a photographer who accidentally murders his mute wife and is ultimately given the death penalty. I suppose I'm slowly warming up a bit to these kinds of Malayalam movies, but their plots are still so awkward somehow.

To my surprise, neither of my parents was particularly fazed by this plot line. Both of them enjoyed the jokes, though. Most of the jokes are towards the beginning of the movie.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-09-12, 1:39

Prowler wrote:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

I haven't seen "Lucy" in full, but I enjoy movies with this kind of premise, even though I know very well the whole "We only use 10% of our brains" thing is complete hooey.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-06, 2:50

Recently rewatched a short Sri Lankan Tamil feminist movie with (not very good) English subtitles called Bharathee (only ten minutes long, not especially well-made but that's par for the course for SLT movies especially given the much higher volume of movies coming out of Chennai)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-10-09, 6:58

I'm very much into biopics right now :P

Rocketman => about Elton John
Yesterday => The Beatles
Bohemian Rhapsody => Freddy Mercury
A Star is Born => Lady Gaga

All of them were great, but I have a favourite!

1/ Bohemian Rhapsody

2/ Yesterday
3/ Rocketman

4/ A Star is Born

The latter one was a little boring and the scenario was (in my opinion) too simple. But Bohemian Rhapsody, omg!!!! Loved it (and everyone around me who also saw it loves it!!!) :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-09, 10:54

I'd rank Yesterday a lot higher than Rhapsody. While I enjoyed the latter a lot, the enjoyment is cut by the awareness that they simplified the story, cutting off the most controversial parts and somehow not portraited Mercury's true character. The former, on the other side, doesn't intend to be a biopic and is just lots of fun.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-10-13, 5:18

france-eesti wrote:I'm very much into biopics right now :P

Rocketman => about Elton John
Yesterday => The Beatles
Bohemian Rhapsody => Freddy Mercury
A Star is Born => Lady Gaga

Hmm, I'd only call two of those movies biopics: "Rocketman" and "Bohemian Rhapsody". The meaning is in the name — "biographical picture" — and the other two aren't biographical. "A Star is Born" might be called a star vehicle, since it trades so heavily on Lady Gaga's star power. "Yesterday" is more of a tribute film, since it only features Beatles songs, not The Beatles themselves.

I've seen "Yesterday", and I really enjoyed it. I don't normally go see a movie twice while it's in theaters, but this one was worth an exception. :)
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-05, 4:35

I watched a Kannada movie from 1970 called Samskara because I happen to have met a number of native speakers of that language on Twitter recently and most of them often tweet in Kannada, plus some of the non-native speakers are interested in learning it anyway. I wanted to hear some Kannada so I could feel more familiar with what it sounds like. The movie is like a lot of the more well-known Kannada movies: relatively realistic in terms of its storyline and having something to do with the finer points of casteism, particularly among different subcastes of Brahmins. I didn't find it all that interesting, and I don't really see why it was controversial enough to be banned in Chennai, but I enjoyed watching it all the same.

I also started watching a Thai movie from 2004 called ทวิภพ (Thawiphop) in Thai and The Siam Renaissance in English. It's in a combination of Thai, English, and French and is about a young Thai historian alternating between her modern-day life and the era of King Mongkut in the 19th century when France and Britain were vying for control over Thailand. I was trying to skip over all the parts in English and French and just listen to the Thai parts. This kind of reminds me of The King and I and what not, and I'm no fan of monarchy, but I'm glad to at least see a Thai perspective on this instead of a Western one.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-11-05, 10:56

vijayjohn wrote: I didn't find it all that interesting, and I don't really see why it was controversial enough to be banned in Chennai, but I enjoyed watching it all the same.
Maybe in 1970 it was an issue just to mention casteism.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-08, 19:42

No, the constitution was literally written by a Dalit rights activist (who was himself a Dalit), and one of the first Indian movies was about casteism, more than a decade before independence.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-11-09, 9:53

There are already a couple of months, I think, I've watched Brazilian western Bacurau and I forgot to mention it here. It's set in a near dystopian future very much like the present, and it's very violent. Bacurau is a small city from Pernambuco west and after a teacher notices they got strangely removed from Google Maps, a lot of very bad things start to happen.

I liked. Not because the violence per se, but by the social issues it touches and the sense of community/union/friendship/something among Bacurau inhabitants.

Versus

Postby Versus » 2019-11-13, 21:49

Recently I watched "The Art of Running in the Rain." after reading the book of the same name that the film was made of. I didn't expect much from the movie. However, the movie pleasantly surprised me and I recommend you to watch it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-12, 7:47

I saw a movie in Bislama with English subtitles on the YouTube channel of an NGO in Vanuatu called Wan Smolbag Theater (it literally means 'one small bag'; the artistic director says the name "stems from our idea in the beginning to show that theatre could be made from what you could carry in a small suitcase"). It's called I No Bisnis Blo Yumi (It's Not/None of Our Business) and is about the importance of support for victims of domestic violence in Vanuatu.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-11, 19:45

Hipersomnia. An Argentinean horror film from 2016

I know a movie isn't bad if it feels like i've seen it before. I always seem to have trouble following Spanish story- lines though
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-11, 20:46

The first movie I've seen all year is Parasite. A film buff friend of mine bought it the minute it came out on Blu-ray and is showing to everyone he can corral. I expected the story and the acting to be good, but what really blew me away was the production design, cinematography, and editing. So many gorgeous shots which all work to tell the story rather than calling attention to themselves. I was astonished to learn that the house where most of the action takes places doesn't actually exist but was purpose-built for the film. The team designed it around the shots they needed taking into account the angle of the sunlight when they decided where to put the windows and so forth--just an incredible attention to detail which all pays off in the final product.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2020-02-12, 9:59

linguoboy wrote:The first movie I've seen all year is Parasite

I watched it yesterday. The movie theater was packed (I guess everyone around here got curious after it won an Oscar). I didn't really know what to expect, since most Korean movies I've seen before were either horror movies or terrible romantic comedies. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-02-12, 13:03

Hey are you kidding! This is a bloody great movie! I've seen it twice already (once with my husband in cinema, once with my stepson, who is very hard to please but loved it!)

As you I don't know Korean cinema but I gotta say this was very great! I higly recommand it :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-13, 17:51

I'm about to watch a film called Cupid. It's a horror movie from this year. With that title, it should be decent :)
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-02-16, 18:13

Finally saw Persepolis (because my husband was sulking behind his laptop, so I was finally completely free to choose the program and ask no one's opinion about what they wanna to watch).

I loved and cried :cry:

One of my favorite colleagues has left Iran the moment the Shah got hold of the country - I'll have something to discuss with him :D

Return to “Culture”