Short questions

Moderator:eskandar

replicaoflife
Re: Short questions

Postby replicaoflife » 2019-04-26, 23:41

eskandar wrote:
replicaoflife wrote:And fereŠteh MUST be from ferestaadan since etomolgy of them is to alike, meaning angel/messenger feresteh deffently is from sent, for you get messenger from there and messenger that brings gospels/divine stuff becomes an angel.

Yes, I worded that poorly. They are indeed etymologically related but in the minds of native speakers there is no connection between the two, just as English speakers don't realize that words like "pawn" and "pedestrian" are etymologically related.

and thanks, this by amir khusro (wich unlike all the urdu ones its genuinity is plausible) is what made want to learn fully specially that sentence amazes me since i saw it, and only know do i understand how its read, like this.

Pari paikar nigaar-e sarw qadde, laala rukhsare; Sarapa aafat-e dil bood shab jaaye ke man boodam.

a Fairy-shaped, cypress-statured, tulip-cheeked was completly destroying hearths the night were i was

such a sentence, amazing, and now conquered, atleast not in correct word but its meaning is clear to me.
I was trying to fit all of this into pari paikar part cause in english its like that, i am humbled thinking it could learn like this skipping reading yet only made it so harder.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-27, 1:43

replicaoflife wrote:Ive reread my posts and been humbled not to reach to high but the basics first, i must read to learn the correct grammar by example, then do the advances stuff.

I think that sounds like a great plan. I'm glad I could help. Good luck / Viel Erfolg / movaffaq bāshi!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

franzele

Postby franzele » 2019-05-26, 13:24

Hello everyone.
For a project I'm developing I would need to know what are the Farsi words that parents say when they are tickling a baby (not the translation of "to tikle").
By example in Norway they say: KILE KILE KILE!; in Japan they say: KOCHO KOCHO!

I would also appreciate a transliteration of the words, and the pronounce if possible.

Hope someone can help me, thanks!

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2019-06-03, 4:50

gotbetter wrote:Another question. Is there any difference in meaning between these two?

کسی را نگاه کردن

به کسی نگاه کردن

I've seen it both ways, so I think they both seem to be correct. Is that so?

The normal structure is "be kas-i negâh kardan". That is, this verb comes with the dative case marker "be". In Persian, particularly in its literary form, it's possible to change dative to accusative case:

Normal form:

به او گفت

Alternative form:

او را گفت

Ditto for your example. So, the meaning is the same but generally, the register isn't. Sometimes, the word order also influences. For example, using او را گفت instead of به او گفت is a literary style.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2019-06-03, 5:19

gotbetter wrote:In case nobody notices it, I'll just say here: please can someone also answer my previous question (about یکه شناس) on the page before this? Last post on page 123.

A horse/donkey that knows his owner, responses to his signals even from distance and usually, only lets his owner mount

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2019-06-03, 7:17

LondonA1 wrote:
alijsh wrote:
eskandar wrote:The only ones I can think of that I've heard in colloquial Persian are taraf > do tarafeyn > atrâf or hâl > ahvâl(-e shomâ). Oh, and sabab > asbâb, as in the wonderful expression "in ke asbâb-e khejâlat shod!"

As you see, the plural form has an extended meaning so that it cannot be considered as the plural form of the singular noun. It is distinct. atrâf means "surrounding" whereas taraf means "direction", ŝarâyet means "circumstances" whereas its singular is not used in Persian, ettelâât means "information" and so on.

"asbâb" is rather old-fashioned in that expression. Use "bâes" instead: bâes e zahmat, xejâlat, ŝarmandegi, ... ŝod

Eh?! Shart isn't used in Persian? Where did you get that gem from?! Kudos for knowing the language at a level above most learners, but you're making a few generalisations. Lots of Arabic plurals are still used in modern Persian without the distinction you suggest; the only difference is whether one is around people who have a solid education or not- my father once told me off for not saying horuf in place of harfha, which to him sounded crude. What about daily, basic words like sabzijaat? There are tons of daily usage Arabic plurals which don't fit the trend you describe- especially in the actual business of life where law courts, utility bills, bank accounts are concerned.

شرایط is the plural form of شریطه and not شرط. The plural of شرط is شروط. You should have looked it up before ridiculing me! Besides, I was talking about spoken Persian, not written Persian!

The majority of Arabic plurals are entirely unnecessary. No matter which source language we are considering, loanwords should be pluralized using the native rules of the target language. "forums" is objectively better than "fora". Yes, English has borrowed "forum" from Latin but why to borrow its plural form as well?! Doesn't English have a native way of pluralizing words?! Excessive borrowing is detrimental to the native system of the language. One shouldn't sacrifice his/her language just to sound chic and well-educated! Fortunately, excessive plural forms never opened their way into spoken Persian; words are pluralized natively unless an Arabic plural has a different meaning or is a part of a fixed expression etc. And they have kept decreasing in written Persian too. They are simply unnecessary and as language evolves, they become less and less.

MDfr

Postby MDfr » 2019-08-29, 11:04

Hello everyone,
can anybody transate this

I'm french man, i try ocr recognize but i can't resolve it...
Thank's in advance.
MD

huttarl

Postby huttarl » 2019-08-29, 13:55

In this Persian translation of 1 John chapter 5 (https://www.wordproject.org/bibles/fa/62/5.htm), the first couple of verses use محبّت می‌نماید and محبّت می‌نماییم multiple times. I understand that this means "loves" / "we love", but I can't identify the root of می‌نماید / می‌نماییم. I tried looking in a dictionary for verbs like نمایدن, but didn't find anything. My guess is that this verb is some kind of "to do" verb used in compound forms like the above. Maybe it's used more in literary style?

What is the root verb being used here?

متشکرم!‏

MDfr

Postby MDfr » 2019-08-29, 16:06

hello huttarl,
you tell to me, sorry but i can't explain nothing about syntax
I do not know neither the alphabet nor anything of the Persian...

Thank you all the same for being able to help me understand the definition of this text ...

Thank's in advance.
MD

huttarl

Postby huttarl » 2019-08-29, 18:57

MD, sorry, I wasn't responding to your question, but posting a question of my own.

I tried to look at the image you posted, but now it says that address is unreachable.

huttarl

Postby huttarl » 2019-08-30, 13:17

MDfr wrote:Hello everyone,
can anybody transate this

I'm french man, i try ocr recognize but i can't resolve it...
Thank's in advance.
MD

For some reason I can see the image now.

I'm not very good with Persian, or especially with reading this nastaliq style, but since nobody else has responded, I'll try. The letters seem to say "NTU KS(S)RI". Remember that (short) vowels are not written. And I may have a couple of letters wrong. Maybe if you know the name of the person in the photo, you can recognize their name in those letters?

MDfr

Postby MDfr » 2019-08-31, 18:26

Hello Huttarl,
sory for my late answer...
Oh very thanks for your interest... Pcture be seen since office hours (here)
So it's a beginning, i've try with google tarnslate apk and he show me "TURKUR".
for reply you i know ths person, it's me. and it does not move me further, because I have no basis, I'm just trying to interpret the title below my photo ...
Thank you for your precious help, I think that the translation will be difficult, I think that the signs above will change the interpretation ...

I try as well ocr to extract, but without success !
Pleasure to read you.
MD

MDfr

Postby MDfr » 2019-08-31, 19:01

I just made a translation in Urdu with the application it gives me "Turkey" "ترکی " a start, but it is not late completely.

In second time it gives me "Takri" " تکری۔ " , it does not look like it anymore ?

So now if it's right.. What's meen Takri in Persian ? or Urdu or nastaliq or other ?

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2019-09-02, 1:18

huttarl wrote:What is the root verb being used here?

I would guess نمودن, lit. show love.

MDfr

Postby MDfr » 2019-09-02, 9:54

Hello HB, thx for reply,
it's very difficult, i try with this link
and i find this possibiity for the first tests :

But i'm not sure !

MDfr

Postby MDfr » 2019-09-03, 17:30

Ok thx or your interest;
i resolve it, :
this the name of photographer...

happy know this forum...
at more later.
MD

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2019-09-03, 17:38

I'm glad you figured it out. :)

huttarl

Postby huttarl » 2019-09-09, 12:02

HoneyBuzzard wrote:
huttarl wrote:What is the root verb being used here?

I would guess نمودن, lit. show love.

Excellent, thank you.

farsi_learner

Postby farsi_learner » 2019-09-09, 21:51

Hello:

Need some help with some following translations.

1) Mituni bashi mituni nabashi
2) Khailia nistan vali acoount daran ke ba baghie connected bashan
3) Ghaza chi khordin?
4) Man beef charbo chili khordam ke boo piff midad
5) Ye livan wine begir, ye film bebin, begir takht bekhab
6) Daghighan hamin karo kardam
7) Ye ivan sharab sefid
8) Va daram a star is born mibinam
9) kare khubi kardi
10) madam daram say mikonam dars bekhunam
11) vaght kardi in nameye Raul ro ham bekhun

Another set :)
1) mano yadet nist
2) kole hafte bikhabio bad bakhti
3) akhare hafteham ta mishod masto pare
4) Fekre hishkiam nabash
5)midunam
6) dorost mishe
7) tabiee
8) Behtarinin

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2019-09-09, 22:13

I'm a new student of Persian language and literature, but I'll try to help you. Others with a better command of English and Persian might fix my translations.

farsi_learner wrote:Hello:

Need some help with some following translations.

1) Mituni bashi mituni nabashi = You can be, you can't be
2) Khailia nistan vali acoount daran ke ba baghie connected bashan
3) Ghaza chi khordin? = What did you eat?
4) Man beef charbo chili khordam ke boo piff midad
5) Ye livan wine begir, ye film bebin, begir takht bekhab = Grab a glass of wine, watch a film, go to bed
6) Daghighan hamin karo kardam
7) Ye ivan sharab sefid = A glass of white wine
8) Va daram a star is born mibinam = And I'm watching "A Star Is Born"
9) kare khubi kardi = You did a good job
10) madam daram say mikonam dars bekhunam = Madam, I'm trying to study
11) vaght kardi in nameye Raul ro ham bekhun

Another set :)
1) mano yadet nist = You don't remember me
2) kole hafte bikhabio bad bakhti
3) akhare hafteham ta mishod masto pare
4) Fekre hishkiam nabash
5)midunam = I know