Translation Request (2 sentences)

Moderator:kevin

acelegna
Translation Request (2 sentences)

Postby acelegna » 2019-08-27, 18:55

Hello! I would like help in translating 2 sentences please in modern gaelic (irish?)

1) Believe in yourself

2) Forgive yourself

And if possible, to provide the proper Ogham spelling for them! I'd much appreciate it! Thank you to everyone out there!
Last edited by acelegna on 2019-08-27, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translation Request (2 sentences)

Postby kevin » 2019-08-27, 19:03

You forgot to specify the language you're interested in. As you ask for "proper Ogham spelling", I assume it's none of the modern Celtic languages, but something historic like Primitive Irish or Old Irish? I'm not sure we have anyone on this forum who knows these languages.

Did you make an attempt to translate it yourself, so you could share what you already have?

acelegna

Postby acelegna » 2019-08-27, 19:35

kevin wrote:You forgot to specify the language you're interested in. As you ask for "proper Ogham spelling", I assume it's none of the modern Celtic languages, but something historic like Primitive Irish or Old Irish? I'm not sure we have anyone on this forum who knows these languages.

Did you make an attempt to translate it yourself, so you could share what you already have?

Yes! I apologize. Modern gaelic (Irish?) would be preferable (apologies if I'm using incorrect terms and please correct me if I'm wrong)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-08-27, 21:33

acelegna wrote:Yes! I apologize. Modern gaelic (Irish?) would be preferable (apologies if I'm using incorrect terms and please correct me if I'm wrong)

"Irish" is preferred term for the national language of Ireland. Outside of the USA, "Gaelic" most often refers to Scottish Gaelic.

Neither expression has a perfect equivalent in Modern Irish. "Forgive yourself" is easier. The most literal way to translate it is: Maith duit féin é. Since the Irish verb is transitive, you have to specify an object. I've used é "it" (actually "him", since Irish lacks neuter personal pronouns). But maybe you have something more specific in mind? Like "Forgive yourself for your mistakes" or "Forgive yourself for your sins"? If so, I think it would sound better if you used the noun.

"Believe in yourself" is trickier. I can think of several expressions which communicate that someone has confidence in themselves, but they all sound a bit odd to me in the imperative. (They're also a bit wordy for a tattoo.) Perhaps a phrase like "Be confident!" or "Take courage!" might communicate the same sentiment? Still, if you want a more-or-less literal translation, here it is: Bíodh muinín agat asat féin!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Celtic Languages”