TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby eskandar » 2019-06-10, 20:44

I'm also definitely interested in the ibn Battuta one. As far as religious content goes, I wonder how similar or different this edition of Qisas al-Nabiyyin (with English vocabulary here) is to the one you were reading. It looks very simple. Years ago I read probably around 100 pages of Anbiya' Allah by Ahmad Bahgat with a tutor. It's more beautifully written, but therefore more challenging - it's not intended for learners per se, so there's no vocabulary provided.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-10, 22:47

eskandar wrote:I wonder how similar or different this edition of Qisas al-Nabiyyin (with English vocabulary here) is to the one you were reading. It looks very simple.

My text is the same. It starts incredibly simple, but if you go closer to the end, it looks more like normal unsimplified Arabic. The beauty of this book is that it has plenty of quotes from the Quran.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-06-11, 1:20

voron wrote:My text is the same. It starts incredibly simple, but if you go closer to the end, it looks more like normal unsimplified Arabic. The beauty of this book is that it has plenty of quotes from the Quran.

Cool! I'll plan to read it. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-11, 15:05

I read stories 5, 6, 7 from the first level of my Arabic reader.

Here's a pic from story 7:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-12, 20:46

Read story 8 of level 1 of the reader. Just 2 stories to go until I complete the level!

A pic:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-13, 20:29

Read story 9 of level 1.

Posting the book cover for a change. It's a famous story; can you guess what it is? :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-16, 10:52

Yesterday I read story 10 of level 1, moved on to level 2 and read story 1 of level 2.

The stories in level 2 are longer, and the layout of each page is a bit different: the Turkish translation is upside down. (Which is a bit annoying TBH; I can control myself well enough to not look at the translation, and attempt to try translating myself first.)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-16, 10:58

A note about my reading: definitely, my retention of new words is like 10%; it would be better if I used flash cards; and in fact this set of books already includes paper flash cards for each of its new words; but I don't want to kill the momentum and just want to read further. Maybe I'll use the flashcards later; or maybe not.

Eskandar may ask me: how come you find Kalila wa Dimna more boring than your stories? Kalila wa Dimna stories come from a 1000+ year-old text at least, and their Sanskrit original is even older.

Well, it's just because my stories have pictures, and I have the books in paper. Otherwise, a story of a mouse whose jewelry was stolen by a crow (it's the plot of the last story I read) is no more captivating than any of the Kalila wa Dimna stories. I hope my reader is going to have more interesting stuff in its further levels. (The are 6 levels in total, and I have bought 4 of them).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-17, 6:50

eskandar wrote:this edition of Qisas al-Nabiyyin

Any idea why none of the pages in this book show up for me at all?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-17, 10:19

vijayjohn wrote:

For some reason it stopped opening for me too.

You can find a copy directly at the author's website (as well as a plenty of his other books in different languages -- even Malayalam!):
https://abulhasanalinadwi.org/book/qasa ... iyyeen_1-4

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-06-17, 16:30

voron wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

For some reason it stopped opening for me too.

You should be able to download the PDF from the Archive.org link even if the web preview isn't working.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-18, 21:54

Lang-8 used to be such a lively place, and now I made a post days ago and still haven't received a single correction. Seems like all online communities are giving way to facebook...

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-06-18, 23:29

It would help them if they actually accepted new users. It seems a lot just gave up on them. And Facebook has become so quiet here in Germany, too, apart from some big news sites and even those aren't all that active as you might think. Surely Whatsapp can't serve for everything? Although even my mother was told by two people that she should get it.
Please correct my mistakes!

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-06-19, 8:30

Car wrote:It would help them if they actually accepted new users.

Yeah, I'm sure that's one of the main reasons in this particular case. They killed the site when they decided to focus on their app (which is awful, btw)

Car wrote:And Facebook has become so quiet here in Germany, too, apart from some big news sites and even those aren't all that active as you might think.

Same here, I hardly use Facebook these days. Younger people seem to have migrated to Instagram and even call Facebook "the old people's social network" :lol:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-19, 9:25

Luís wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure that's one of the main reasons in this particular case. They killed the site when they decided to focus on their app (which is awful, btw)

They don't let new users register? :o I didn't know that. When you say their app, do you mean HiNative? It is nice for short questions (I asked a bunch about Syrian Arabic and got answers within a couple of hours), but for long texts I would still prefer Lang-8.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-06-19, 12:05

voron wrote:
Luís wrote:

They don't let new users register? :o I didn't know that. When you say their app, do you mean HiNative? It is nice for short questions (I asked a bunch about Syrian Arabic and got answers within a couple of hours), but for long texts I would still prefer Lang-8.

Yes.

A couple of years ago they stopped allowing new users to register, instead telling them to download HiNative. People who were already members can still access it, but without an influx of new people, activity tends to go down. Give it a few more years and they'll probably shut the site down altogether.

Correcting (or writing) long texts in a phone app is painful.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-19, 12:31

Luís wrote:A couple of years ago they stopped allowing new users to register, instead telling them to download HiNative. People who were already members can still access it, but without an influx of new people, activity tends to go down.

:(

It's understandable as a business strategy though: A1-B1 learners who mostly want to get single sentences or short texts corrected outnumber B2-C1 learners by far.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-06-19, 20:30

Luís wrote:
Car wrote:It would help them if they actually accepted new users.

I agree.

Car wrote:And Facebook has become so quiet here in Germany, too, apart from some big news sites and even those aren't all that active as you might think.

Same here, I hardly use Facebook these days. Younger people seem to have migrated to Instagram and even call Facebook "the old people's social network" :lol:

Oh, yes, I read that here, too. They apparently aren't using Facebook because they don't want to be around their parents etc.
Please correct my mistakes!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-20, 19:05

(ar)
Sadly I didn't do any reading since Sunday. I was very busy with work but let's face it, I could find time but I just didn't feel like reading. :P
I watched a couple of videos of this vlogger in Jordanian Arabic though, in particular this video about his visit to Syria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncGR9W4NyU

(it)
Unexpected right? :D I found the song "Soldi" by Mahmood on lyricstraining, and played their "type the lyrics" game.
https://lyricstraining.com/it/play/mahm ... HVxsilzknV

Everything else
Now that the summer season has opened, I hear tourists speak all kinds of Germanic languages (Dutch, Danish, German) here in Antalya, and it makes me wanderlust for them a bit, mostly because I imagine how valuable I would be with the knowledge of one of them in the tourism sector, but... no offence Germanic speakers, they don't sound attractive to me. While German is ok, can even be nice at times, Danish and Dutch are absolutely horrendous. :D

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-06-22, 4:50

voron wrote:I watched a couple of videos of this vlogger in Jordanian Arabic though, in particular this video about his visit to Syria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncGR9W4NyU

Thanks for sharing this, it was fascinating. I always wanted to visit Syria, since long before the war started, and it's really encouraging to see this. I love how the guy speaks as well - super clear and he uses almost no English words. You're making me regret giving up on 3ammiyya!

Unexpected right? :D I found the song "Soldi" by Mahmood on lyricstraining, and played their "type the lyrics" game.
https://lyricstraining.com/it/play/mahm ... HVxsilzknV

Evviva l'italiano! Mi è piaciuta molto la canzone.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”