LGBTQA+ issues

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Car
Forum Administrator

Re: LGBTQA+ issues

Postby Car » 2019-06-03, 20:20

In rugby, people are more open about it, see e.g. this list. When Israel Folau once again made homophobic comments on social media (no, not the ones mentioned in the link, this one is recent), he not only was kicked out, but another player was also warned and booed (this also happened in the match against Munster that is mentioned in the post), but that doesn't mean that all is fine, but still.
Please correct my mistakes!

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2019-06-05, 7:35

In Sweden, quite a few female athletes are out. Among them Anja Pärsson (alpine skiing), Kajsa Bergqvist (high jump) and at least a fifth of the national soccer team, past and present. The reaction when a female athlete comes out is "OK, so what?" among the general population, and the more misogynist crowd goes "I knew it! All women who do something as manly as sports are really gay, you know."

I played soccer up until I was sixteen, and while the environment in the girls' team I was on wasn't exactly gay friendly, it wasn't hostile either. Same for riding horses and hanging out in the stable that was the center of a club with 800 members at the time, which I did until I was 21.

On the male side, I don't know of any who's at the very top and out. There has been like one or two a tier or two down, but that's it. From what those who are out have said, it's not because top male athletes necessarily hide who they are, it's that non-straight guys drop the whole thing in their teens when the rampant homophobia among coaches and teammates becomes so prevalent that they have to choose between their sport and their sanity.

Going back to the sports clubs I was in as a teenager, a gay guy riding horses would most likely have been accepted, it was just that there were so few male members at all that no one being openly gay was still within the usual statistics. An openly gay guy in the soccer club? No, just no.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-29, 6:20

I've been looking a little more deeply than usual lately into how non-straights are treated in certain countries. I happened to find this article on Saudi Arabia, which kind of surprised me, to be honest:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... et/305774/

Apparently, in Saudi Arabia, despite the complete illegality of and harsh punishments for homosexuality, cruising is common, and there seems to be a common sentiment that it's easier not to be straight than to be straight.

Return to “Politics and Religion”