TAC 2019 - Antea

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13131
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby księżycowy » 2019-03-30, 8:59

"on my list"

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-30, 9:01

Ok, thanks 👍

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-30, 10:04

(he) I have finished the two seasons of the serie “Schtisel”. After 24 episodes of one hour each one, I think that my listening level has improved, and now at least I am used to some usual vocabulary. As I find there’s a lack of listening material in Hebrew (no TV available on YouTube), I am planning to listening to the radio. I hope I will find some interesting programs :hmm:

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-30, 11:54

(ru) If you still don’t have any holiday plans, here’s a suggestion :wink:
I suppose it would be quite an immersion.

https://youtu.be/KS_qforhzlo

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-30, 12:16

(de) I have to recognise that I neither ever understood what the concept of “bagel” was really about :hmm:

https://youtu.be/WMkbVjwQyHc

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13131
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby księżycowy » 2019-03-30, 14:55

Antea wrote:(de) I have to recognise that I neither ever understood what the concept of “bagel” was really about :hmm:

The context with which you used "neither" assumes that there will be an "or" predicate following. I'd say "never" here (in which case the "ever" could be dropped, unless of course you're being emphatic).

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-30, 20:55

księżycowy wrote:
Antea wrote:(de) I have to recognise that I neither ever understood what the concept of “bagel” was really about :hmm:

The context with which you used "neither" assumes that there will be an "or" predicate following. I'd say "never" here (in which case the "ever" could be dropped, unless of course you're being emphatic).


So: “I have to recognise that I never understood the concept...” but where do I put the “neither I” ? meaning “ tengo que reconocer que yo tampoco entendí nunca ese concepto”

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 13131
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby księżycowy » 2019-03-30, 22:37

I don't understand (what I assume to be) Spanish, but there is no "neither I" in the English.

I maybe missing something because, again, I don't understand Spanish, but the only contexts that readily come to mind in English that use "neither" are:
"neither......nor"
or something like:
A: Which do you want? (of two choices)
B: Neither.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24330
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-31, 1:37

Antea wrote:tengo que reconocer que yo tampoco entendí nunca ese concepto

My best attempt to translate this into English would be: "I have to acknowledge that I never really understood the concept of a 'bagel', either."

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-31, 1:46

Ok, thanks to both of you :D 👍

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24330
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-31, 3:55

eskandar wrote:Do it! Post any questions you have about Persian in the Persian forum, I'll be happy to help.

:doggy:

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-31, 22:09


User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 6248
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby dEhiN » 2019-04-01, 14:57

vijayjohn wrote:
Antea wrote:tengo que reconocer que yo tampoco entendí nunca ese concepto

My best attempt to translate this into English would be: "I have to acknowledge that I never really understood the concept of a 'bagel', either."

But, at least to me, using "either" here implies that Antea is basically agreeing with someone one else who has already stated they have never understood the concept of a bagel:

vijayjohn: You know, I've never understood the idea of a bagel. What about you Antea?
Antea: I have to acknowledge that I've never really understood the concept of a bagel, either.

Whereas, I don't think the Spanish conveys that idea, unless I'm misunderstanding. I read yo tampoco entendí nunca as like a double negative - closer to saying "I've never ever really understood the concept of a bagel."
My TAC for 2019.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-01, 15:23

dEhiN wrote:My best attempt to translate this into English would be: "I have to acknowledge that I never really understood the concept of a 'bagel', either."


This is exactly the idea, because in the video they were explaining different, and as it seems, not usual ways of eating/ cutting a bagel.

dEhiN wrote:But, at least to me, using "either" here implies that Antea is basically agreeing with someone one else who has already stated they have never understood the concept of a bagel:

vijayjohn: You know, I've never understood the idea of a bagel. What about you Antea?
Antea: I have to acknowledge that I've never really understood the concept of a bagel, either.


Yes

dEhiN wrote:Whereas, I don't think the Spanish conveys that idea, unless I'm misunderstanding. I read yo tampoco entendí nunca as like a double negative - closer to saying "I've never ever really understood the concept of a bagel."


Yes, in Spanish we convey that idea with “tampoco”, meaning “ neither”.

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 6248
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby dEhiN » 2019-04-01, 15:46

Ok, gracias. :D
My TAC for 2019.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-02, 18:36

My current obsession with Persian is interfering with the other languages I am learning. What should I do? Should I really go for Persian? Is this going to last? It’s not the first time that I have a crush on this language. Or should I focuse on Hebrew instead? :roll:

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-03, 1:51

Go for Persian! It's easier than Hebrew, and the Persian forum is a bit more active these days than the Hebrew one.
Currently away from Unilang.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24330
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-03, 3:20

Yeah because I keep pestering you all the time with songs and vocab lists. In Dari. :lol:

User avatar
Antea
Posts: 3040
Joined: 2015-08-23, 10:53
Real Name: c
Gender: female

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-05, 9:40

My language planning is a mess. I just had a Hebrew lesson, and the problem is that I don’t remember many words, so my conversation is sooo boring.

I would like to start with Persian, but I don’t know what will happen to my vocabulary if I do it :hmm:

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-05, 13:46

Have you tried any SRS flashcard programs like Anki, Quizlet, or Memrise? Those are good ways of keeping track of vocabulary.
Currently away from Unilang.


Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest