TAC 2019 - Antea

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Antea
TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-12-27, 9:59

It’s time to start a new TAC. So I’ve been thinking about my plans for language learning this year, and the languages I would like to focuse on, are the following:

(he) I have already started to learn some vocabulary and verbs, but my level is still just beginner. My goal is to be able to reach a B2 level, and I would like to focuse on listening and understanding.

I suppose it would be a big amount of work, since I am learning it almost from scratch. But now I feel motivated and I hope I would be able to continue with it.

(sv) Although it was among my last year languages, I only could say that I have reached some level in reading comprehension, but unfortunately not in listening. That means that it’s still a long way to go and that I should work more on vocabulary and video materials.

(ar), (ar -EG), (de), (ru)These languages I will be practicing and maintaining, as I am now used to do every year.

dEhiN

Re: TAC 2019 - Antea

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-31, 20:29

Antea wrote:focuse[

I noticed you spelled focus with an e twice, so I'm not sure if they were typos or mistakes. But just in case you weren't sure, focus in English doesn't have an e.

Antea wrote:I suppose it would be a big amount of work, since I am learning it almost from scratch. But now I feel motivated and I hope I would be able to continue with it.

Colloquially, I think it's more common (at least in my sociolect) to use will with suppose and hope. There's nothing wrong with what you wrote at all, but using would makes me do a double-take.

Antea wrote:Although it was among my last year languages

I think it sounds a little better to use either "last year's language" or something like "languages (from/of) last year".

Antea wrote:used to doing

We generally say "used to" along with the present participle.

Do you think that your knowledge of Arabic might help or hinder your attempt to learn Hebrew? Also, what are you planning to use for both Hebrew and Swedish?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-12-31, 23:59

dEhiN wrote:Do you think that your knowledge of Arabic might help or hinder your attempt to learn Hebrew? Also, what are you planning to use for both Hebrew and Swedish?

Thanks for your corrections :D

I think that for the moment, my knowledge of Arabic is mostly helping me. I mean, there are some similar words, but in fact the language is not really so similar as for confusing me or mixing it.

For Hebrew I am using “Assimil” and “Colloquial Hebrew”, but at moment I mostly trying to familiarise myself with new words and acquiring more vocabulary.

In Swedish, I have finished reading “Assimil”, so next step would be to exercise my listening :roll: Are you still learning Swedish?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-01, 0:00

dEhiN wrote:Do you think that your knowledge of Arabic might help or hinder your attempt to learn Hebrew? Also, what are you planning to use for both Hebrew and Swedish?

Thanks for your corrections :D

I think that for the moment, my knowledge of Arabic is mostly helping me. I mean, there are some similar words, but in fact the language is not really so similar as for to get confused with it or for mixing it.

For Hebrew I am using “Assimil” and “Colloquial Hebrew”, but at moment I am mostly trying to familiarise myself with new words and acquiring more vocabulary.

In Swedish, I have finished reading “Assimil”, so next step would be to exercise my listening :roll: Are you still learning Swedish?[/quote]

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-01, 4:11

Antea wrote:In Swedish, I have finished reading “Assimil”, so next step would be to exercise my listening :roll: Are you still learning Swedish?

No, I'm not. I would like to one day get back to it, but I feel like now that I have less time to dedicate to language studies, I would be better off concentrating on the 3 or 4 languages that I've wanted to become conversationally fluent in for the past few years. Those are Tamil, French, Spanish and Portuguese. After I accomplish that, then I'll look at trying other languages.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-18, 10:08

(he) I continue learning. So far I’ve reached the middle of the book, though I know that this doesn’t really mean anything :hmm: It’s still difficult to remember new vocabulary, and I am getting impatient (as always), because my comprehension level is still so low.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-20, 17:53

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-22, 10:53

(he) I am doing some listening. This a video I have found explaining the reasons for celebrating “Tu Bishvat”, that I think was celebrated yesterday :hmm:

https://youtu.be/M5z7-9V3GE4

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-27, 10:56

(he) Another video about Tu Bishvat, this time about food.

https://youtu.be/2lzwE6C4WgE

(ar -EG)
https://youtu.be/leO5ANHZaNE

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-02-17, 16:15

It’s a video in Suroyo/Turoyo/Syriac (I don’t distinguish between them, or if there is any difference :hmm: ) and Swedish.
https://www.facebook.com/AssyriaTv/videos/569297993539947/

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-18, 7:46

In English, "Syriac" generally refers to an extinct language, not a variety of Neo-Aramaic, although I have also seen an example of a speaker of Assyrian Neo-Aramaic using "Syriac" to refer to their own variety (I'm not sure whether people who speak Turoyo also do this or not). I would guess that Assyria TV uses Assyrian Neo-Aramaic and not Turoyo. Turoyo is very different from Assyrian Neo-Aramaic; they are not mutually intelligible.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-02-18, 10:59

Assyrian Neo Aramaic and Turoyo are distracting me from Hebrew and Arabic :roll:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-02-24, 19:11

I liked that video, although watched only a few minutes of it. So I take it that was Assyrian Neo-Aramaic? It's really pretty and makes me want to learn it.

Also, according to Wikipedia:
Turoyo is not mutually intelligible with Western Neo-Aramaic having been separated for over a thousand years, while mutual intelligibility with Assyrian Neo-Aramaic and Chaldean Neo-Aramaic is limited.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-02-24, 20:26

dEhiN wrote:I liked that video, although watched only a few minutes of it. So I take it that was Assyrian Neo-Aramaic? It's really pretty and makes me want to learn it.

Yes, that was my last weekend obsession. I like this language very much :yep:

But since then, things have evolved. The most important thing is that now I am subscribed to Netflix. That means that at the moment, I am completely “hooked” (I hope this expression is right, I don’t mean anything sexual :nope: ), with any series whose original language is Arabic, or Hebrew, or a mix of both of them. :ohwell:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-25, 9:48

I've wanted to learn a Neo-Aramaic language for a long time. Unfortunately, it'll be a bit longer still.

In the meantime, I might as well give a plug: http://surayt.com/

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-02-26, 2:25

Antea wrote:The most important thing is that now I am subscribed to Netflix. That means that at the moment, I am completely “hooked” (I hope this expression is right, I don’t mean anything sexual :nope: ), with any series whose original language is Arabic, or Hebrew, or a mix of both of them. :ohwell:

Netflix is great, except it sucks that they remove content after a while. So keep an eye out for that. Apparently they also filter the content they make available to you based on your viewing history. So, not only do they recommend things similar to what you've already watched, but even when you search or browse, they don't show every single thing they have.

As for the expression, you used it correctly. Hooked doesn't mean anything sexual. Hooked up (or hook up - both the noun and the verb) has the sexual meaning.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-10, 16:11

księżycowy wrote:I've wanted to learn a Neo-Aramaic language for a long time. Unfortunately, it'll be a bit longer still.

In the meantime, I might as well give a plug: http://surayt.com/

Thanks, I was using that, and also, from time to time I try to listening to Assyrian TV, although it’s a bit weird because they also speak a lot in Swedish and I don’t know which language I understand less from both :hmm:

Lately I am having some problems to stay focused while learning languages, because I have a lot of work and I am restless.

Moreover, Arabic is sweeping everything around, so I am having real trouble about carrying on with Hebrew. It’s maybe because now my Arabic level has improved, and therefore it’s easier for me to watch videos in this language? :hmm:

I suppose I have to diversify my mind :roll:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-29, 20:37

https://youtu.be/X6zU-BA-tXU

I was watching this video about this beautiful mosque, and then I realised that I couldn’t concentrate in the images because I was being distracted by the beautiful language. This made me wanderlust a lot for Persian :whistle: I would like to start again to learn the language, maybe after I reach some level in Hebrew :hmm:
Last edited by Antea on 2019-03-30, 7:03, edited 2 times in total.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-29, 23:38

Do it! Post any questions you have about Persian in the Persian forum, I'll be happy to help.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-30, 7:02

eskandar wrote:Do it! Post any questions you have about Persian in the Persian forum, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks! Persian it’s definitely on my list, and I think I will be starting soon :D
Last edited by Antea on 2019-03-30, 9:01, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”