What song are you listening to right now? 3

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: What song are you listening to right now? 3

Postby voron » 2019-02-16, 11:03

księżycowy wrote:
Antea wrote:(aii) Suryoyo/Turoyo, I am not sure about this? Is it Neo-Aramaic? :hmm:

I can't be sure by any means, but I do think it's a Semitic language. It's a good possibility it's in a Neo-Aramaic language.

Yes, it sounds very much like Turoyo, and people in the comments say as well that it is "Aramäisch".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-16, 14:32

It is Neo-Aramaic. Central Neo-Aramaic a.k.a. Northwestern Syriac to be exact, which makes it historically part of Eastern Aramaic. (The name "Suryoyo" or "Surayt" means "Syriac" whereas "Turoyo", prefered by linguists, is "of the mountain".)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-17, 5:45

Turoyo is also the only language whose speakers call it Suryoyo as far as I can tell.

Thracian Greek is another northern Greek variety spoken in northeastern Greece, in the historical region of Thrace. This is a Greek folk song that apparently comes from Thrace and so may be in Thracian Greek. It's called "Alexandris," so I guess it's another one of those songs about Alexander the Great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV3EtqIA3fg&app=desktop

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-21, 14:05

This is surprisingly sweet.
https://youtu.be/GVfPf006Vw0
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-22, 2:45

Aww! It kind of reminds me of the fact that my Swedish co-worker has been telling me more or less that Scandinavian ideas of romance are pretty violent (but stop just short of murder).

Reka is a region in northwestern Macedonia near the border with Albania. The variety of Macedonian spoken in this region is closely related to the Debar and Galičnik varieties. This is a song that's apparently from Reka and in Macedonian. It's called "Džemile mori rekanko," and the band's name is simply Makedonija:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1evV1FA3Y&app=desktop

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-22, 4:08

vijayjohn wrote:Aww! It kind of reminds me of the fact that my Swedish co-worker has been telling me more or less that Scandinavian ideas of romance are pretty violent (but stop just short of murder).

It's from a short film. Basically: in the film the guy with the beard is a down-on-his-luck artist with an angry wife and lots of debt. His friend convinces him they can get rich by becoming hunters. They know nothing about hunting or guns and it's a totally failure; they end up accidentally killing the neighbors' livestock but nothing else. Anyway that's the film and is the reason for the odd imagery. :mrgreen: The lyrics of the song itself are very simple: "Dear friend, I honor you, you know this feeling remains. Great men have great deeds, you know, this feeling remains. Dear acquaintance, I honor you, you know this feeling remains."

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-26, 14:41

Linguaphile wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:This is surprisingly sweet.
https://youtu.be/GVfPf006Vw0

Aww! It kind of reminds me of the fact that my Swedish co-worker has been telling me more or less that Scandinavian ideas of romance are pretty violent (but stop just short of murder).

It's from a short film. [...]

Turns out the film itself is online as well. It's only 19 minutes long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qaD99fiRRQ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-28, 3:01

It looks like the movie itself doesn't include the song, though, or did I just not look carefully enough?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-28, 4:23

vijayjohn wrote:It looks like the movie itself doesn't include the song, though, or did I just not look carefully enough?

The song is from the end credits. The lead singer (Jaan Pehk) is the actor who plays Oskar in the film. He sings the other song that is at the beginning of the film, too. The music video is a combination of scenes from various parts of the film and scenes of the two actors singing at the film location. In real life, the song isn't sung by the two actors together but rather by Jaan Pehk with a singer/guitarist who does not have a role in the film.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-09, 7:07

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-09, 7:30

The Gostivar or Upper Polog variety seems to be transitional between the western and northwestern varieties of Macedonian. This is a traditional song in the Gostivar variety of Macedonian called "Što će pravime, činime" (Што ќе правиме, чиниме), sung by a singer named Fana Šomova. An apparently not completely accurate version of the lyrics is included in the video description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKxtq1NiBSg&app=desktop

h34

Postby h34 » 2019-03-10, 20:37

Last edited by h34 on 2019-03-26, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-10, 20:49

The Kičevo-Poreče variety of Macedonian is spoken mainly in an area not too far south of Skopje (but is also spoken in Skopje itself and in some other parts of Macedonia) and is closely related to Standard Macedonian. This is a song in that variety called "Omarno žeško sonce" (Омарно жешко сонце) but apparently performed by a group from Ohrid called Ohridski Trubaduri (Охридски трубадури). The lyrics are included in this video, although they're apparently not entirely accurate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBT-i8GceI&app=desktop

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-15, 6:16

Tetovo is a part of northwestern Macedonia that borders Kosovo. There is another variety of Macedonian spoken there, but it is apparently not closely related to any of the other varieties that I have posted a song in so far, including the neighboring Gostivar variety. This is a well-known folk song in the Tetovo variety called "Ogreala mesečina (Огрејала месечина)" performed by Grupa Serenada (Група Серенада):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxwjH2gWOFo

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-17, 9:11

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-17, 20:51

Another variety of Macedonian called the Skopska Crna Gora dialect is spoken just east of where the Tetovo variety is spoken, between Skopje and the border with Kosovo. Kučkovo (Кучково) is one village where it's spoken, and this is a song (that I'm hoping might be in this variety of Macedonian) with the name of that village as the title, sung by Darko Bilbilovski (Дарко Билбиловски) as part of a folk music festival in 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwX8DPD5uqU

Olinguito

Postby Olinguito » 2019-03-23, 16:02

(es) A mí me gusta bailar el ritmo vuelta.

[Edited to add flag.]
Last edited by Olinguito on 2019-03-30, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Bassaricyon neblina

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-03-26, 18:12

I love absolutely everything about this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xCSVl833I

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-27, 1:22

The Prizren-Timok variety is a possibly Torlakian variety of Serbo-Croatian spoken in Kosovo, essentially from the border with Bulgaria to the east to the city of Prizren in the south to the Timok River in the north. This is a song called "Prizrenska" in Serbian, possibly (I'm hoping :P) in the Prizren-Timok variety, by a Kosovan singer named Ranko Šemić:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eUyCFan4ho

Gadano

Postby Gadano » 2019-03-29, 9:25

Polish teacher from Warsaw :)

Return to “Culture”