Discrimination

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Yasna
Re: Discrimination

Postby Yasna » 2019-03-17, 15:07

Saim wrote:Sure, now you're restating your thesis as a metaphor, after some goalpost shifting ("called for retaliation"). You've already been shown why your prediction is baseless (in terms of, you know, what is actually happening and has happened; if you want to stay within the realm of thought experiments, inaccurate metaphors and extrapolations based on extrapolations be my guest), and your framing is incorrect, so I don't have anything else to say to you.

Before you stomp off to your room and slam the door, I'll remind you that it was an off the cuff one-line reaction, not a bloody thesis. No idea why you think I was trying to do a deep analysis with watertight logic. I guess you were just hunting for an argument to win on the Internet.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-03-17, 15:31

Yasna wrote:not a bloody thesis.

Before I "slam the door" or whatever, I'll just clarify that I meant meaning #1 here, not meaning #2. I don't expect you to write a dissertation on terrorism.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-17, 16:32

Saim wrote:I unfortunately don't think we can rule out copycats of any ideological persuasion, I don't think any of us should be surprised if this keeps happening.

No, but that is at least a common pattern of these attacks. Extremists from group A attack random people who at least in theory are in some separate group B, extremists from group B use said attack as an excuse to then attack random people who are supposedly in group A. To me, it seems like Yasna's suggesting instead that just because of this one attack, Western cities are suddenly going to devolve into a state of gang warfare, and I don't see a reason to believe that that's what's happening.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-03-17, 17:20

The Christchurch-based Super Rugby team Crusaders is thinking about a name change following the terrorist attack (it surely wasn't just a shooting, ESPN). What do you think?
Please correct my mistakes!

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-03-17, 17:30

Car wrote:The Christchurch-based Super Rugby team Crusaders is thinking about a name change following the terrorist attack (it surely wasn't just a shooting, ESPN). What do you think?

If the team feels uncomfortable with that name, I don't blame them. It is not the first thing I would want to change in the aftermath of such a horrible attack, but more power to them.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-03-18, 1:06

Can anyone read the Arabic in the picture?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-18, 3:34

Oh, I'm sure they're similar to these.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-03-19, 21:05

md0 wrote:
Car wrote:The Christchurch-based Super Rugby team Crusaders is thinking about a name change following the terrorist attack (it surely wasn't just a shooting, ESPN). What do you think?

If the team feels uncomfortable with that name, I don't blame them. It is not the first thing I would want to change in the aftermath of such a horrible attack, but more power to them.

A bit more on the topic. Fair enough, I think.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-03-19, 21:12

Wow, I didn't realise they were only founded in 1996. I'd just assumed it was a much older name than that. '96 is awfully late to be giving such parochial names to professional teams. All of our worst team names date at least back to the 30s.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2019-03-20, 0:22

Most Europeans still have no idea what the Crusades were even about, except something having to do with that strip of land in the Middle East where most of the Bible takes place, and that at the time, it was seen as a good and righteous thing. You need to be a historian or a history nerd with an interest in that particular era and region to know some of what actually happened there.

In 1996, in a country literally on the other side of the world (Spain is the antipode of New Zealand's North Island)? Yep, I can very much see a sports team taking on that name as a positive thing.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-20, 1:11

I thought maybe they were just inspired by American sports teams. :P

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-03-20, 10:45

linguoboy wrote:Wow, I didn't realise they were only founded in 1996. I'd just assumed it was a much older name than that. '96 is awfully late to be giving such parochial names to professional teams. All of our worst team names date at least back to the 30s.

Well, Super Rugby is that young (as the article also mentions). Which makes some of the complaints seem so ridiculous compared to the tradition of many European teams. It's a relative young competition consisting of franchises, with the number of teams being changed a lot during that time, after all. Sure, it's not nothing and they've been that good, but still.

Johanna, did you really learn so little about the Crusades?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-03-20, 17:36

Johanna wrote:Most Europeans still have no idea what the Crusades were even about, except something having to do with that strip of land in the Middle East where most of the Bible takes place, and that at the time, it was seen as a good and righteous thing. You need to be a historian or a history nerd with an interest in that particular era and region to know some of what actually happened there.

Sad, if true. Unlike English, where the relationship between "Crusader" and "cross" is obscured, it's perfectly transparent in most other European languages, so the chauvinistic nature of the name should be immediately apparent.

Johanna wrote:In 1996, in a country literally on the other side of the world (Spain is the antipode of New Zealand's North Island)? Yep, I can very much see a sports team taking on that name as a positive thing.

It's not 1840 any more and information travels frequently and instantaneously between the Antipodes and the rest of the Anglosphere. New Zealand is particularly known for its strong cultural ties to England.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-22, 4:04

I honestly don't feel I ever learned all that much about the Crusades.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-03-23, 9:45

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12215573
"NEW ZEALAND: Alleged Christchurch terror attacker's manifesto banned"

A bad decision I am afraid.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-03-23, 11:57

Yeah I think that even if you come from the perspective that the State should regulate hate speech it doesn't make much sense to ban a specific text.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-04-25, 8:24

Saim wrote:He also followed a bunch of white supremacists on Twitter, recommended a white supremacist YouTube
Who were these white supremacists?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-04-26, 7:14

mōdgethanc wrote:
Saim wrote:He also followed a bunch of white supremacists on Twitter, recommended a white supremacist YouTube
Who were these white supremacists?

On Twitter, Stefan Molyneux and Lauren Southern.

On YouTube, some guy who made animé reviews with jokes mocking the woman killed in Charlottesville and how Hitler was right and stuff.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-04-26, 10:34

what the fuck is it with every YouTuber being far-right
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-04-26, 12:51

Saim wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:Who were these white supremacists?

On Twitter, Stefan Molyneux and Lauren Southern.

It's hard to find an actual white supremacist these days as opposed to a white nationalist. For example, someone like Stefan Molyneux openly acknowledges that Askhenazi Jews and East Asians have a higher average IQ than whites, and some white nationalists look to Japan as a model state (highly developed and ethnically homogeneous).

Return to “Politics and Religion”