What does this word mean?

Moderator: eskandar

OssetianTara
Posts: 4
Joined: 2019-03-13, 19:42

What does this word mean?

Postby OssetianTara » 2019-03-13, 19:51

What does "dala" or "dal" mean in Persian? Is that from Avesta?

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-13, 23:15

Where did you encounter this word? I don't think there's any word like "dala" in Persian. The only thing close to "dal" I could think of is "daal" which means eagle (though it's not a common word).
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
Yasna
Posts: 2200
Joined: 2011-09-12, 1:17
Gender: male
Location: Boston
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby Yasna » 2019-03-13, 23:19

"Del" maybe? That would mean "heart".
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

OssetianTara
Posts: 4
Joined: 2019-03-13, 19:42

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby OssetianTara » 2019-03-14, 1:00

Yasna wrote:"Del" maybe? That would mean "heart".

No no, it has nothing to do with del or dil which means heart. It is used to refer crowd, bunch of people, etc. but can't confirm this.

OssetianTara
Posts: 4
Joined: 2019-03-13, 19:42

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby OssetianTara » 2019-03-14, 1:06

eskandar wrote:Where did you encounter this word? I don't think there's any word like "dala" in Persian. The only thing close to "dal" I could think of is "daal" which means eagle (though it's not a common word).


I may remember incorrectly the exact word. Can you link me Persian dictionary which is written in Latin alphabet? I'd like to see "d" section.

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-14, 2:55

OssetianTara wrote:I may remember incorrectly the exact word. Can you link me Persian dictionary which is written in Latin alphabet? I'd like to see "d" section.

This dictionary has Latin transcriptions for each word. I've linked you to the beginning of "D" and you can use the Next Page function to continue from there.
Currently away from Unilang.

OssetianTara
Posts: 4
Joined: 2019-03-13, 19:42

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby OssetianTara » 2019-03-14, 6:06

eskandar wrote:
OssetianTara wrote:I may remember incorrectly the exact word. Can you link me Persian dictionary which is written in Latin alphabet? I'd like to see "d" section.

This dictionary has Latin transcriptions for each word. I've linked you to the beginning of "D" and you can use the Next Page function to continue from there.

Thanks a lot. The page you linked seems very useful. Could you link me Avesta dictionary?

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: What does this word mean?

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-15, 3:30

Here is one.
Currently away from Unilang.


Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest