Why the Titanic is used with "the"?

Moderator: JackFrost

ph0enix
Posts: 16
Joined: 2016-01-03, 7:01
Real Name: John Doe

Why the Titanic is used with "the"?

Postby ph0enix » 2019-03-13, 14:55

It is proper noun, the name of the ship. Shouldn't it be used without the definite article?

Thanks!

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23286
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Why the Titanic is used with "the"?

Postby linguoboy » 2019-03-13, 15:48

ph0enix wrote:It is proper noun, the name of the ship. Shouldn't it be used without the definite article?

We always use definite articles with the names of ships: the Titanic, the Lusitania, the Maine, etc. There's no real "rule" at work here, just linguistic convention.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ph0enix
Posts: 16
Joined: 2016-01-03, 7:01
Real Name: John Doe

Re: Why the Titanic is used with "the"?

Postby ph0enix » 2019-03-14, 5:54

linguoboy wrote:
ph0enix wrote:It is proper noun, the name of the ship. Shouldn't it be used without the definite article?

We always use definite articles with the names of ships: the Titanic, the Lusitania, the Maine, etc. There's no real "rule" at work here, just linguistic convention.


Thanks for the explanation :)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23286
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Why the Titanic is used with "the"?

Postby linguoboy » 2019-03-14, 14:14

ph0enix wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
ph0enix wrote:It is proper noun, the name of the ship. Shouldn't it be used without the definite article?

We always use definite articles with the names of ships: the Titanic, the Lusitania, the Maine, etc. There's no real "rule" at work here, just linguistic convention.

Thanks for the explanation :)

It's not just names of ships, btw, but I think most man-made objects:

the Monadnock (Building), the Empire State (Building), the Guggenheim, the Museum of Modern Art [but: MOMA]

the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, the Bridge of Sighs [but: St Mark's Square, Trajan's Column].
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ph0enix
Posts: 16
Joined: 2016-01-03, 7:01
Real Name: John Doe

Re: Why the Titanic is used with "the"?

Postby ph0enix » 2019-03-14, 15:45

linguoboy wrote:It's not just names of ships, btw, but I think most man-made objects:

the Monadnock (Building), the Empire State (Building), the Guggenheim, the Museum of Modern Art [but: MOMA]

the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, the Bridge of Sighs [but: St Mark's Square, Trajan's Column].


Interesting, thanks!


Return to “English”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest