Short questions

Moderator:eskandar

gotbetter
Re: Short questions

Postby gotbetter » 2019-03-01, 20:47

Another question. Is there any difference in meaning between these two?

کسی را نگاه کردن

به کسی نگاه کردن

I've seen it both ways, so I think they both seem to be correct. Is that so?

In case nobody notices it, I'll just say here: please can someone also answer my previous question (about یکه شناس) on the page before this? Last post on page 123.

Thank you

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-08, 5:21

gotbetter wrote:Hello. What does this word mean, please? Can someone provide a definition / translation in English?

یکه شناس

Someone who is extremely faithful to (or even reliant on) someone else.

Also, should these kind of words (words that end in شناس) be written as one word with a ZWNJ, or as two words?
Generally these compounds should be written together, with ZWNJ, but you'll find them written separately just as often, if not more often.

Also, is یکه meant to have a tashid? Online I found it transliterated as yekkešenās (with two letter Ks).

Yes. But as in most other words the tashdid is pronounced but not written.

gotbetter wrote:Another question. Is there any difference in meaning between these two?

کسی را نگاه کردن

به کسی نگاه کردن

I've seen it both ways, so I think they both seem to be correct. Is that so?

Yes, I think both are correct and equally used.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

gotbetter

Postby gotbetter » 2019-03-08, 22:44

Thank you very much for answering my questions, Eskandar.

gotbetter

Postby gotbetter » 2019-03-08, 23:36

Another question:

In colloquial conversational Persian, I hear this a lot:

هستش
instead of
است / ه / هست

and
نیستش
instead of
نیست

What I want to know is, are those forms considered grammatically correct to use when talking, or are people who talk like that considered to be uneducated people who have terrible grammar?

For example, is the هستش and نیستش phenomenon somewhat equivalent to saying "ain't" in English instead of "isn't"?

I just want to know so that I can know whether I should use these forms myself or not.

(Just to be clear, I'm talking about spoken Persian. I'm aware that it would be totally wrong to use these forms in formal writing, but they're widely used when speaking).

Thank you

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-10, 21:37

gotbetter wrote:I just want to know so that I can know whether I should use these forms myself or not.

Yes, go ahead and use them; while as you noted they aren't used in writing, they're perfectly acceptable in normal spoken Persian, not "marked" in the way that "ain't" is in English.

gotbetter

Postby gotbetter » 2019-03-11, 21:17

Thank you, Eskandar.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-31, 13:25

I found this sentence in one of my books

من تو خوابگاه زندگی

And I don’t understand why there is تو ؟

I thought it was the pronoun “you”. Does it have another function here?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-03-31, 16:04

I found the answer. Someone told me that in this case تو is a synonym of دار

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-02, 7:13

Antea wrote:I found this sentence in one of my books

من تو خوابگاه زندگی

Are you sure it's not something like من تو خوابگاه زندگی میکنم?
Antea wrote:I found the answer. Someone told me that in this case تو is a synonym of دار در

Note that this تو is pronounced tu, not to. (In Dari and Tajik, as far as I can tell, both 'you' and 'in' are pronounced tu).

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-02, 15:25

vijayjohn wrote:Are you sure it's not something like من تو خوابگاه زندگی میکنم?

The whole sentence is:

من تو خوابگاه زندگی می کنم

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-03, 0:02

Oh OK, that makes sense. Thanks! :)

replicaoflife

Postby replicaoflife » 2019-04-15, 22:29

How do you use pooya in a sentence? some examples thanks

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-15, 23:59

Some examples here.

replicaoflife

Postby replicaoflife » 2019-04-16, 14:46

eskandar wrote:Some examples here.

Thank you but ive looked it, i will be more specific, i mean like a adjecative suffix, like the word takpo, how would i use it for the word feresteh example, as in a message sent franticaly/urgently/looking everywhere seeking using pooya, pooyandesh? etc

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-16, 15:48

پویا is an adjective meaning "dynamic" - you wouldn't use it for "a message sent franticaly/urgently/looking everywhere". تکاپو is another word entirely. It's a noun and you can see examples of its usage here. I don't think پویندش is a word.

replicaoflife

Postby replicaoflife » 2019-04-25, 19:07

eskandar wrote:پویا is an adjective meaning "dynamic" - you wouldn't use it for "a message sent franticaly/urgently/looking everywhere". تکاپو is another word entirely. It's a noun and you can see examples of its usage here. I don't think پویندش is a word.

Thank you for your help, but il rephrase it one more and i would be grateful for your help again eskandar.

Im trying to do a wordplay sentence for sending it to a family of three people, named feresteh,Poja and Milad.

I came up with something like this, "sending this message through miles of road seeking up and down". Feresteh will be used for the sending part, Milad will be Mil-o-mil (dar mil-o-mil-ha, as in through miles and miles) and and how do i correctly get pooya in, for seeking and finding, not as dynamic, but as mobile, active, that is a messange sent seeking its way up and down the road, or phrase or as in looking around , scanning around, examining, on the hunt through roads and roads, how do i attach the root pooya to any other suffix or poja to another verb to get this?

Or is it just to use it like this "poshte sarez pooya shodan". I mean pooyesh sorry not pooyandesh, maybe a sentence like this "dar rah pooyesh barai adress dorost", or ande as suffix, like barande,parande.ayande, pooyandeh? is this correct use for exmpl "shoma pooyandeh chi/ki astid?"

The reason i wrote takapo is because its seems to be using pooya, combined with alone, (tak,taka) to make the meanings of forward/push/words related to being on the move, so its the ending po to use as a suffix, or does it stand alone and used like this " Pehgham-e poya"(this would mean dynamic message then right). "Pegham sakt dar takapo ast ta be dast-e dorost begireh", here takapo i want to mean "searching around, trying to find,examining etc "

Im am not able to read farsi saddly so i have a very hard time with figuring this out so thats why i ask again for your help even after you posted the links because i can only read farsi with the "latin alphabeth ". Also im not very good overall with the forms, so maybe its not possible what im trying and its a hard challenge for me. Pooya is a foreign word, meaningwise, to me due to not being in use other than a name so its hard to get it in a meaning withouth feeling wrong. Here 3 examples i try with and i have a hard time seeing is this correct or wrong grammar for any of them, and pooya i do best guesses/

Ferestadand ye payam ke to mil o mil dar rah bod saffar tah pooyesh kamel kard etc

Ye ghased e pooyande dar mil o mil hah ferestad

Fersteha az mil be mil hastan dar safar ta be manzel khod pooya shodan

If you understand now what i mean with searching every corner, urgently, looking,seeking through miles of road, is this meaning possible to write using pooya and being in correct grammar?

Bebaskhin ye post long sekandar age lotf khonin yebare dige sayet koni to help me i would be every grateful

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-25, 22:09

I don't think there's a name like Feresteh. I wonder if you're thinking of Fereshteh; it's a girl's name meaning "angel" and it has no connection to the verb ferestaadan (to send). Sorry I'm not clever enough to help you come up with wordplay - good luck!

replicaoflife

Postby replicaoflife » 2019-04-26, 9:34

eskandar wrote:I don't think there's a name like Feresteh. I wonder if you're thinking of Fereshteh; it's a girl's name meaning "angel" and it has no connection to the verb ferestaadan (to send). Sorry I'm not clever enough to help you come up with wordplay - good luck!

Ok thanks, ive come a long way though on getting this finished. obviosly you see i used the persian spelling just missed doing the S correct, also you use Š for sch in finglish wich i forgot. Only one letter per letter, kh use X etc (yes there are some ad hoc rules lol)

And fereŠteh MUST be from ferestaadan since etomolgy of them is to alike, meaning angel/messenger feresteh deffently is from sent, for you get messenger from there and messenger that brings gospels/divine stuff becomes an angel.

Most likely fereŠteh the name imported and keept early as a name while the verb contuined seperatly.

Compare the word Angel both started out as sending, then to courier, and then to divine messenger.

Unless you know something i dont idk how you can so sure saying its not.

and while you are here i can post this text if you can help me to read it correct.

"Pari peykar neegare sarv ghade laleh rokshare"

Nymp battling looking at the cypress tree deciving tulip faced

Nymp looking like the cypress tree deceitfully batling with a tulip shining face

I saw a nymph like a cypress tree battling treouchsly shining like a tulip.

When i first read this, i couldent understand nothing. And now i looked up the words, but hands down this is the craziest sentence. I have read some translations but not satisfactory

Main problem is this neegare, and how to read it and why.

Thanks again eskandar for the help. I have been looking (up and down, searching every where hehehe) myself but i have a hard time reading that ridicolous alphabet

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-04-26, 18:00

replicaoflife wrote:And fereŠteh MUST be from ferestaadan since etomolgy of them is to alike, meaning angel/messenger feresteh deffently is from sent, for you get messenger from there and messenger that brings gospels/divine stuff becomes an angel.

Yes, I worded that poorly. They are indeed etymologically related but in the minds of native speakers there is no connection between the two, just as English speakers don't realize that words like "pawn" and "pedestrian" are etymologically related.

پری پیکر نگار سرو قد لاله رخساری
Should be: pari peykar negaar-e sarv qadd-e laaleh rokhsaari (in modern Iranian pronunciation; Amir Khusraw may have pronounced it differently)

"Fairy-shaped, cypress-statured, tulip-cheeked"

This is a single hemistich from a poem, it lacks a verb and doesn't carry meaning on its own as an individual unit; it should be read together with the second hemistich.

i have a hard time reading that ridicolous alphabet

You'll have a much easier time learning and reading Persian if you come to terms with the alphabet. English romanization, as it's so haphazard and inconsistent, only makes things more confusing. Here is a good place to start.

replicaoflife

Postby replicaoflife » 2019-04-26, 23:07

eskandar wrote:
replicaoflife wrote:And fereŠteh MUST be from ferestaadan since etomolgy of them is to alike, meaning angel/messenger feresteh deffently is from sent, for you get messenger from there and messenger that brings gospels/divine stuff becomes an angel.

Yes, I worded that poorly. They are indeed etymologically related but in the minds of native speakers there is no connection between the two, just as English speakers don't realize that words like "pawn" and "pedestrian" are etymologically related.

پری پیکر نگار سرو قد لاله رخساری
Should be: pari peykar negaar-e sarv qadd-e laaleh rokhsaari (in modern Iranian pronunciation; Amir Khusraw may have pronounced it differently)

"Fairy-shaped, cypress-statured, tulip-cheeked"

This is a single hemistich from a poem, it lacks a verb and doesn't carry meaning on its own as an individual unit; it should be read together with the second hemistich.

You'll have a much easier time learning and reading Persian if you come to terms with the alphabet. English romanization, as it's so haphazard and inconsistent, only makes things more confusing. Here is a good place to start.

Thank you for this info, using english translations you think it does stand alone, feel kinda silly ive been forcing a understanding thinking im learning but really im making my persian worse.

Talking to you i realize im learning alot of wrong stuff on the way ,words that "sounds" right but really its jibberish. Ive reread my posts and been humbled not to reach to high but the basics first, i must read to learn the correct grammar by example, then do the advances stuff.

You'll have a much easier time learning and reading Persian if you come to terms with the alphabet. English romanization, as it's so haphazard and inconsistent, only makes things more confusing. Here is a good place to start.[/quote]

Yes you are right, the endings get confusing and some words need to much letters.
I think my problem is that since i only this year want to learn for real and did not go to school for farsi(mahtab naraft moge ham raft shambe raft ) it feels like its going to take years startching from scratch BUT i see now how im already learnt alot of wrong suffixes,verbs,grammar etc due to using english alphabeht

Im guessing even you can read a word wrong if its the first time you seen it right? so just pratice.

Merci eskandar that you answered everything even when it was way off,i dont want to write anything more so you wont be tired of answering, since i feel your activity is good aid in this site.
Im good being consistent at study and im inspired by farsi, i know the rest will be easy if i can overcome learning a new alphabhet.I know 9 signs by hearth so i will have some momento.

Hope to return redoing my first post soon this time by your approval.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”