Re: error message

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-24, 7:15

Re: Temporary downtime today and/or tomorrow for server maintenance
Postby vijayjohn » 7 minutes ago

Wait, you're still having that issue? Even right now?

Yes, still having that issue right now. In fact I can't answer your post now either (or edit my own post or create a new post in that thread), even though it's in the thread I posted in a few minutes ago. (That's why I am creating a new thread; it seems to be the only way that I can reply.)

Re: Temporary downtime today and/or tomorrow for server maintenance
Postby md0 » 4 minutes ago

Always a good idea to clear one's browser cache when websites are acting up (Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-Shift-R)

I tried that. It didn't help.

Return to the index page

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Out of memory; check if mysqld or some other process uses all available memory; if not, you may have to use 'ulimit' to allow mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space [1041]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

I only now noticed that the bottom of the error message says "Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: automailer@unilang.org", should I do that? Or does that just go to the same people who will read my post here?
(Edit: now I've realized that sometimes the error message has the email address at the bottom of it and "Return to the index page" at the top, and sometimes it doesn't have either of those. But I do keep getting the error. Only on certain threads, especially in the General Language area, but also the Livonian thread and the Küsimus eesti keele kohta / Questions about Estonian thread. Kind of random.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-24, 7:39

Linguaphile wrote:I only now noticed that the bottom of the error message says "Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: automailer@unilang.org", should I do that? Or does that just go to the same people who will read my post here?

I don't think that e-mail address even works, sorry...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-24, 12:10

I'm having the same exact issue Linguaphile is having. I can't access certain threads (like the "issues and bugs" thread).

I also cleaned out my cache, but still get the memory error. :hmm:

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-02-24, 12:31

Two more things you can test:

a) use a different browser, preferably one with the default settings and no customisations
b) try visiting from a different network (ideally a different ISP)

Regarding (b), once I spent days trying to fix a website I maintained when it had nothing wrong with it, only because my home ISP was doing some bizarre caching which prevented me from accessing the website in real time.

If I understood correctly, there was a server migration for UL, which maybe means some ISPs still resolve unilang.org, or at least parts of unilang.org to the address of the old server.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-24, 14:59

I've tried b by using my computer (which is on satellite internet) and through my phone's data network. Still that same error.

EDIT: And I just tested a. I tried chrome (I usually use Firefox), and that same error is still there. I also used my phone's native browser. (I haven't tried chrome on my desktop yet.)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-24, 16:22

księżycowy wrote:I've tried b by using my computer (which is on satellite internet) and through my phone's data network. Still that same error.

EDIT: And I just tested a. I tried chrome (I usually use Firefox), and that same error is still there. I also used my phone's native browser. (I haven't tried chrome on my desktop yet.)

I'm sorry that księżycowy is having this issue too, but honestly glad to know I'm not the only one.
I'm still having the same problem and I tried several different browsers (including two I hadn't used in ages), three devices, an ISP and a data network. Same issue every time. Some of those should have had nothing cached related to Unilang.
The problem only occurs when I am logged in, so now I'm wondering if there could be something in my account settings (and księżycowy's) that is different from the account settings of those of you who don't have this problem.
I also noticed that it is no longer sending me emails when someone replies to a post of mine. That's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if it could be a clue to the problem. Those of you who don't see the error message that księżycowy and I are seeing, do you normally get email notifications? And are you still getting them now? Księżycowy, what about you? All the posts that I should have been notified about are listed in my "Manage Notifications" list but as of this weekend I no longer get emails about them. It occurred to me to try checking or changing the notification settings to see if it made any difference (User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Notification Options), but when I got to the "Edit Notification Options" screen I just got a blank page. Not an error message, just a blank page. So I can't try changing that.
I don't really care about getting the emails, but I'm wondering whether that issue is somehow related to the bigger problem that I can't open/reply to a large number of the posts here when I'm logged in. Maybe a clue to what is going on? Since I only get the error message when I'm logged in, I'm starting to think the problem might be something in the Unilang account settings. Of course it only started after the server migration, so I have no idea if that even makes sense (or what to do about it).

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-02-24, 16:34

I don't have email notifications enabled so I don't know about that.

It doesn't seem like a user account settings problem, it looks like a server problem (if cache issues are ruled out). I don't know what else I user can do, proycon will have to look into it.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2019-02-24, 16:47

Linguaphile wrote:Those of you who don't see the error message that księżycowy and I are seeing, do you normally get email notifications?

I don't see any error messages and I've never got emails from Unilang except those 10000 times when I've forgotten my password. I didn't even know that's an option. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-24, 16:56

I haven't been getting emails for any of the threads I'm subscribed to that have had replied.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-24, 16:58

Naava wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Those of you who don't see the error message that księżycowy and I are seeing, do you normally get email notifications?

I don't see any error messages and I've never got emails from Unilang except those 10000 times when I've forgotten my password. I didn't even know that's an option. :D

If you go to User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Notification Options can you see that page? I am curious to know if you can see it. (Right now I can't.)
I don't actually recommend to you that you change those settings right now because I'm still not convinced that my settings there aren't somehow what's causing the problem (and I can't see that page, so although you might think "well if I change them, I can always just change them back" - I'm not sure that's true. It will not let me view or change them right now, for example. If that's part of the problem, I don't want it to happen to you.)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2019-02-24, 16:58

Naava wrote:

Ahahaha never mind I spoke too soon. I can't read my PM's anymore.

If you go to User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Notification Options can you see that page? I am curious to know if you can see it. (Right now I can't.)

I tried this and the whole page went blank.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-24, 17:00

Naava wrote:
Naava wrote:

Ahahaha never mind I spoke too soon. I can't read my PM's anymore.

I tried this and the whole page went blank.

Yeah, that's what mine does too. (I also can't read the PMs and get that error message that I posted above when I try. I hadn't checked that until you mentioned it.)
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2019-02-24, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-24, 17:01

I do get e-mail notifications and can read my PMs.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-24, 17:06

vijayjohn wrote:I do get e-mail notifications and can read my PMs.

Lucky you. :silly:
But thanks for posting that, it's good to know. Rules out one cause of the problem at least and will make me finally quit ignoring md0's suggestion that it doesn't seem like an account settings issue. (It wasn't that I didn't believe you, md0, only that for a moment there it was starting to seem like that could be what distinguished those who had the problem from those who didn't, so.... unlikely or not, I wanted to try to rule that out. Looks like we did.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-24, 17:13

I'm not sure whether this will be helpful information, but there was a time, maybe a week ago, when I couldn't access PMs by clicking on the PM icon and instead had to go into my user control panel and access PMs from there. At that time, it also took a while for notifications to show up in my e-mail.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2019-02-24, 17:20

I can see the PM subject lines but if I try to click them and open the PM, I get the error message. Same thing happens with "Sent messages". I can write a new PM and upload old PM drafts, though. I don't know what would happen if I tried to send a PM.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-24, 17:42

I just tried viewing my PMs and got the same as Naava and Linguaphile.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-02-24, 17:58

I can't access my PMs either and get the same error message. Also, I didn't receive the e-mail that notifies me of PMs.
Please correct my mistakes!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-02-24, 18:54

I was able to reply to Linguaphile's inital post in the "Temporary downtime ..." thread. The same things have been happening to me. I can't access the Issues & Bugs thread. I haven't been getting emails notifying me of new posts. I was able to send a PM, but I can't seem to read my PMs. (Well, I only tried one PM). Sometimes I get the MySQL error message, sometimes I get a blank screen. With the Issues & Bugs thread, I even tried going through my notifications as well as the long way around (to the Unilang Information board and then clicking on that thread). The weird thing is that the notification for that thread now shows read even though when I tried going to it, I got the MySQL error.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-02-25, 9:18

Same thing here. It's probably best to try and contact proycon (in case he's not aware already), since this seems to be connected to the server migration.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”