The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby france-eesti » 2019-01-10, 21:05

Hum, no, I have some other ways to punish myself for my sins :lol:

What's the person after me's worst deadly sin?
(mine is pride)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-01-11, 12:14

Hmmm, okay ... During the winter, I'm so good at lying on the couch and watching TV :blush: So I think sluggishness is probably my worst deadly sin at the moment.

The person after me prefers watching movies than series.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-11, 16:35

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me prefers watching movies thanto series.

(You could also say "...would rather watch movies than series.")

I really don't watch anything these days.

The person after me reads a hundred books a year or more.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-01-12, 7:22

I read a lot of books but a hundred would an exaggerated amount. Moreover, some are really long (1000 pages or so) so I cannot really have then finished within a week or so.
For the moment I found in my company's library "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" and I gotta say I'm having fun with it :partyhat:

The person after me loved to learn poems off by heart when they were school pupils.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-01-13, 11:45

No, No and No.

The person after me drinks at least two liters of water daily.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-01-14, 16:11

I'm actually closer to 4 liters and I have to be careful I don't climb to 5 liters... :doggy:

The person after me can create and maintain pivot tables on spreadsheets.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-01-15, 16:31

I don't know, I've never needed to create a pivot table.

The person after me watches the Simpsons regularly.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-15, 19:01

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me watches tThe Simpsons regularly.

If I'm not mistaken, the full title is The Simpsons, in which case the is always capitalized. With titles like this, sometimes people just drop the and use Simpsons instead. The same thing happens quite often with The Beatles.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-01-18, 10:51

I no longer watch them but I did in the past :)

The person after me often smiles at strangers in the street.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-18, 11:14

Not so often. Maybe when I am with my children, because people tend to smile a lot to children and parents, and so I can smile back.

The person after me likes petting other people dog’s in the street. (I don’t know if it’s possible to say that, it seems weird :hmm: )

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-18, 15:19

Antea wrote:The person after me likes petting other people dog’s in the street. (I don’t know if it’s possible to say that, it seems weird :hmm: )

Yeah, it's possible, except the apostrophe is in the wrong place: people's dogs. You also could say "likes to pet". Sometimes the infinitive or the gerund are interchangeable, I think especially when following the verb like. Also, both in/on the street work in this case. I feel like street is one of those locations where in and on both get used often, and it seems dependent on the speaker's preference.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-18, 15:58

dEhiN wrote:I feel like street is one of those locations where in and on both get used often, and it seems dependent on the speaker's preference.

I have a distinction: "on the street" means "in the space between buildings" (so including sidewalks, parking lots, etc.) whereas "in the street" means literally in the roadway itself. YMMV.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-18, 16:11

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I feel like street is one of those locations where in and on both get used often, and it seems dependent on the speaker's preference.

I have a distinction: "on the street" means "in the space between buildings" (so including sidewalks, parking lots, etc.) whereas "in the street" means literally in the roadway itself. YMMV.

I guess I make that distinction too, but I feel like I've heard native English speakers use "in the street" synonymously with "on the street", so to mean, for example, "on the sidewalk". That's why it doesn't phase me when I see "in the street" in what seems to be a general sense, rather than literally on the road. Though, oddly enough, if someone said to me, "when I was growing up, we would be out playing in the street all the time", my mind would picture kids playing on the road itself.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-01-22, 19:43

Antea wrote:The person after me likes petting other people dog’s in the street.

No, I never pet dogs I don't know and (maybe I'm overreacting but) I'm fed up with people coming over and touching my dogs without permission.

The person after me is training for a triathlon.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-02-07, 9:55

:lol: Cycling 12 km a day + clarinet lessons + Hungarian lessons, is that a triathlon? :silly:
Then yes!

Does the person after me prefer cynism or sarcasm to reply to an intentional verbal attack?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-07, 16:29

france-eesti wrote:Does the person after me prefer cynicism or sarcasm to replywhen replying to an intentional verbal attack?

Are the two mutually exclusive?

The person after me uses sarcasm so much sometimes they aren't even sure if they mean something sincerely or not.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-02-12, 15:36

:yep: oh yes, that sounds like me

The person after me sometimes acts like a drama queen.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-02-13, 19:12

YES this is one of the greatest pleasures of my life! :partyhat:

Why did the person after me stop wearing a wristwatch?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-13, 19:13

It seemed unnecessary after I got a cellphone. I never wore one for fashion but simply for the practicality of knowing what time it was.

The person after me has never gotten the hang of telling time with a 24-hour clock.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-02-18, 17:17

I actually understand the 24-hours-system quite well but I hardly never use it. Therefore, it can happen that I say thirteen o'clock when I mean fifteen o'clock, or nineteen instead of twenty-one.

The person after me never uses the voice function on their mobile.

Return to “English”