Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc
Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-01-10, 15:33

Reading news about Russia would be the best way to discourage any wanderlust for Russian.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-01-10, 16:30

mōdgethanc wrote:Reading news about Russia would be the best way to discourage any wanderlust for Russian.

In my experience even when it's terrible news coming out of a given country I get more interested in the languages spoken there. :oops:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-10, 16:44

Saim wrote:In my experience even when it's terrible news coming out of a given country I get more interested in the languages spoken there. :oops:

I'm kinda the same. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-12, 14:58

Not only Unilang. The current trend is that forums in general are fading away. All forums on the internet seem abandoned, so Unilang is still quite active compared to many. I think there are mainly two reasons. Social media. More and more people browse social media and social networking sites instead of forums and decentralized websites/forums/communities. In fact, the Polyglots Facebook groups are very active.
And smartphones. It's difficult to use forums with a smartphones. So people prefer Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-01-12, 16:04

OldBoring wrote:In fact, the Polyglots Facebook groups are very active.

Which is annoying because they all seem to be pretty chaotic, full of unserious people posting the same shitty memes about how German is weird again and again.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2019-01-12, 18:14

IME most self-proclaimed polyglots are chaotic and unserious, and more interested in calling themselves polyglots than learning anything.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-01-17, 14:18

OldBoring wrote:Not only Unilang. The current trend is that forums in general are fading away. All forums on the internet seem abandoned, so Unilang is still quite active compared to many. I think there are mainly two reasons. Social media. More and more people browse social media and social networking sites instead of forums and decentralized websites/forums/communities. In fact, the Polyglots Facebook groups are very active.
And smartphones. It's difficult to use forums with a smartphones. So people prefer Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Forums are still popular with spammers, apparently (I had to ban half a dozen just this morning... :? )
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-17, 15:23

I'm mildly surprised we still get so many, especially when this means going through the trouble of creating an account and all.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-24, 7:24

Widukind wrote:8-)

I’m going to add Scythian... but we all know that will probably never happen. :| R.I.P.

Any particular Scythian languages you're interested in?
OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Whaddya mean "now"?! I have LIDS, dammit! I always go overboard!

https://www.lids.com/
Are their hats good?

Meh
voron wrote:Russian Study Group, anyone? :)

Конечно!
mōdgethanc wrote:
Lur wrote:Here's a fun dumb question: for someone who has no idea at all about South Indian culture(s), which Dravidian language am I supposed to look at? :lol:
Malayayam Malalayam Mayayalam Malayalam

OR LEARN TAMIL, THE MOTHER OF ALL LANGUAGES

Of all languages except Malayalam, which is the mother of Tamil ;)
Lur wrote:I've never been attracted to Hindi at all.

*waits to be thrown at for a considerable amount of tomatoes to be thrown at her*

*no tomatoes are thrown*
*Lur goes to Bunyol*
księżycowy wrote:
Saim wrote:In my experience even when it's terrible news coming out of a given country I get more interested in the languages spoken there. :oops:

I'm kinda the same. :P

I'm even worse. I always want to read local newspapers or the closest thing to them I can find. So if something happens in China, I want to try to read what 人民日报 or Xinhua or whatever has to say about it; if something happens in Kuwait, I want to try to read what Kuwaiti newspapers in Arabic are saying about it, etc.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-01-24, 8:58

vijayjohn wrote: So if something happens in China, I want to try to read what 人民日报 or Xinhua or whatever has to say about it; if something happens in Kuwait, I want to try to read what Kuwaiti newspapers in Arabic are saying about it, etc.

Hmm can we make this idea into a thread? Something like "Reading local news", where anyone can suggest an article, and then people who know the language the article is in can join and comment. And perhaps, everyone who wants to comment should translate at least one sentence that they like the most, or that they are not sure about. Or something like that.

On topic: I am in St.Petersburg in Russia, and there are TONS of Uzbeks here, so I am mildly wanderlusting for Uzbek.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-24, 13:31

voron wrote:Hmm can we make this idea into a thread? Something like "Reading local news", where anyone can suggest an article, and then people who know the language the article is in can join and comment. And perhaps, everyone who wants to comment should translate at least one sentence that they like the most, or that they are not sure about. Or something like that.

I love this idea!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-01-24, 14:14

vijayjohn wrote:
voron wrote:Hmm can we make this idea into a thread? Something like "Reading local news", where anyone can suggest an article, and then people who know the language the article is in can join and comment. And perhaps, everyone who wants to comment should translate at least one sentence that they like the most, or that they are not sure about. Or something like that.

I love this idea!

I am used to read some short articles in Egyptian newspapers, for practicing :yep:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-25, 13:30

We don't have to make the requirements that stringent, though. Maybe we could also start one for transcribing and/or translating audio/video samples in various languages.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-25, 13:54

Kinda of like the idea I have to transcribe and translate stuff, but having it be open to anyone and any language?

I like it, and would contribute.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2019-02-03, 12:07

It's a cool idea.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2019-02-03, 12:12

mōdgethanc wrote:Reading news about Russia would be the best way to discourage any wanderlust for Russian.

My wanderlust for Russian has always been very short-lived and non-serious.

Stuff like Mohawk, on the other hand :para:

Currently: Irish

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-03, 14:54

Lur wrote:
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Lur

Postby Lur » 2019-02-03, 19:19

księżycowy wrote:
Lur wrote:
:D :D :D :D :D :D

The presence of Basque might obstruct starting from complete scratch with other Western European languages like Irish, Welsh and Icelandic, though :? Because I already have a general idea of that one.

(There's Romance languages but that's like, cheating)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-02-04, 20:47

Dutch and Swedish.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 21:11

księżycowy wrote:Kinda of like the idea I have to transcribe and translate stuff, but having it be open to anyone and any language?

I like it, and would contribute.

Lur wrote:It's a cool idea.

Okay, I'll try to start both of these threads soon then!

Return to “General Language Forum”