Meaning of Kurdish name Romi or Romy

Moderator:voron

Luna_kz
Meaning of Kurdish name Romi or Romy

Postby Luna_kz » 2019-01-07, 18:50

Hi my Kurd friends,
I have a question and I cant find anyone around me who can answer it. My husband and I are expecting our first baby and trying to choose a name. We really like the name Romi/Romy however we don't know the meaning of the name in Kurdish. We are interested in Kurdish culture and like to know the meaning first before choosing the name for our baby. I would appreciate if you share the meaning (in English or Farsi) with us. Thanks

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Meaning of Kurdish name Romi or Romy

Postby voron » 2019-01-07, 20:25

Luna_kz wrote:Hi my Kurd friends,
I have a question and I cant find anyone around me who can answer it. My husband and I are expecting our first baby and trying to choose a name. We really like the name Romi/Romy however we don't know the meaning of the name in Kurdish. We are interested in Kurdish culture and like to know the meaning first before choosing the name for our baby. I would appreciate if you share the meaning (in English or Farsi) with us. Thanks

I am not Kurdish but I studied Kurdish at a course in Istanbul.

Romi is a bad name choice for a Kurd. Romi was what Kurds called Turks in the Ottoman Empire, often pejoratively, because Turks and Kurds were often enemies. It comes from "Roma", because Turks were viewed as the successors of the Roman Empire.
https://glosbe.com/ku/en/romî

For example in this Kurdish song:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AKRr9iS53zQ

there are these lines:
eskeren romê deste min xistine kelepçe
berê min dane rêke dûr ez nizanim kuda diçû me
belê bende romîyan bendeke girane

Turkish soldiers put handcuffs on my hands
They are driving me on a long road, I don't know where
Turkish knot is a hard knot

On the other hand, Ronî would be a good name. It is a Kurdish word that means light or brightness.
https://glosbe.com/ku/en/ronî

Luna_kz

Postby Luna_kz » 2019-01-07, 20:46

Hi Voron, thanks for your reply. A good history behind that name. That might be the case for Kurds living in Turkey however its a very common masculine name used by Iraqi kurds. I’ve heard the meaning in kurdish is Guided light or guiding light but wanted to be sure.
Lets hear what others know about the name but if what you described is all there is to that name then that’s unfortunate for us.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-01-07, 21:54

Luna_kz wrote:Hi Voron, thanks for your reply. A good history behind that name. That might be the case for Kurds living in Turkey however its a very common masculine name used by Iraqi kurds. I’ve heard the meaning in kurdish is Guided light or guiding light but wanted to be sure.
Lets hear what others know about the name but if what you described is all there is to that name then that’s unfortunate for us.

You're welcome!

Are you sure it's Romi and not Roni? As I said last in my reply, Roni means light or brightness in Kurmanji (the dialect spoken in Turkey). It may be different in Sorani though (the dialect mostly spoken in Iraqi Kurdistan) -- I know very little about this dialect.

You could see that I also gave a link to a Kurdish (Kurmanji)-English dictionary for the word "Romi". Besides the meaning "Turkish", it also lists such meanings as "treacherous" and "backstabbing", so it has a really bad connotation in Kurmanji.

I am afraid we don't have any active members from Iraq or speakers of Sorani on this forum, so you may need to ask this elsewhere. I would suggest hinative.com or wordreference.com. If you get an answer from elsewhere, please share with us!

EDIT: It just appeared to me that it may be the same name as Rumi, and there was a famous Persian with this name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi

As you say, it may indeed not have this bad connotation in Persian and Sorani.

Luna_kz

Postby Luna_kz » 2019-01-07, 22:48

Hi Voron,
Thanks I didnt know that the Kurdish spoken in Iraq and Iran is different to the one in Turkey.
This is the link that gave me the meaning:
https://www.names.org/n/romi/about

I am Persian myself and I know the name Rumi but wanted an o sound instead of u as rumy (pronounced Roomi) in north america is a word used for a room mate so I prefer it woth O and thaught it would have been great if it really meant guiding light in Kurdish.
I’ll check out those websites. Thanks again

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-08, 10:17

As I have an interest in Sorani Kurdish (note, I'm not a native speaker, nor currently learning it), I took it upon myself to look and see if I could find "romi"in the Sharezoor (Sorani - English dictionary) and here's what I found:
Scan0001.jpg

And for good measure, I cross referenced it in Chyet's Kurdish - English dictionary too:
Scan0002.jpg

So there appears to be no difference in meaning between Kurmanji and Sorani in this case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-08, 13:33

Księżycowy, I realize it's not in the dictionary, but Rumi is written the same way in Sorani.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-08, 13:51

I'll check it later. I was specifically looking up "Romi", not "Rumi."

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't matter. As a check of Wiktionary gives "Rumi" in Persian and Arabic as having the same basic meaning, "Roman, from Rome". I can't imagine it's any different in Kurdish. And in fact lines up with Chyet.

Luna_kz

Postby Luna_kz » 2019-01-08, 15:19

Thanks Everyone! In persian the name of Rumi the poet is written as رومی. However its also pronounced similar to in english as Roomi but Iraqi Kurds spell and pronounce the name as Romi so I thought it may have a different meaning. In Sorani it could also spell as رُمی
Anyhow there are lots of Romi’s on FB living in Kurdistan, Iraq which I’ll contact and if I’m lucky i might get an answer. Thanks so much for your help🙏🏻

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-01-08, 19:02

Luna_kz wrote:In Sorani it could also spell as رُمی

I don't think so. Kurdish is not Persian and I don't think that's a possible spelling in Sorani as the vowels are all explicitly marked. The [o] which can be spelled with a pish/zamme in Persian is written ۆ in the Sorani alphabet (hence رۆمی).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-08, 19:06

Technically, it would be ڕ because it's impossible to have plain ر at the beginning of a word.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-11, 5:45

księżycowy wrote:I'll check it later. I was specifically looking up "Romi", not "Rumi."

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't matter. As a check of Wiktionary gives "Rumi" in Persian and Arabic as having the same basic meaning, "Roman, from Rome". I can't imagine it's any different in Kurdish. And in fact lines up with Chyet.

Maybe it has the same meaning as Rumi in Persian in addition to the 'Roman' meaning.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-11, 9:55

What I'm saying is that "Rumi' in Persian means "Roman".

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-13, 1:19

Oh, OK. I think it could still be possible that it has both that meaning and the 'guiding light' meaning or whatever in Sorani, though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-13, 11:19

Based on my sources, no.

Return to “Kurdish (Kurdî/کوردی)”