TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 7:13

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:It's okay, I'm very much used to people suddenly leaving study groups on this forum or the group suddenly dying.

How many times does a guy have to apologise and feel awful before he's forgiven!?

None. He just apologizes and feels awful of his own accord. *shrug*

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-19, 21:55

I subscribed to Netflix yesterday and I watched Outlaw King in Turkish dubbing with a friend.

How does Netflix know which language to deliver the content in?
I changed my profile's language to Arabic, and it does offer me subtitles in Arabic for every film, but for the dubbing it still shows only two options: English and Turkish.

It may have implicitly assigned a region to my account (Turkey) when I was registering; can I change it now?

EDIT: Ok I've read up a bit on this and it seems like it is impossible. The content varies from country to country and it is impossible to change it (legally).

That's disappointing :para: I wanted to watch films with Arabic dubbing. And what if I am an expat (which I am) and I want to watch something in my native language?..

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-11-20, 10:55

You may have success with VPNs or SmartDNS services, but even many of them don't support Netflix any more as they take action against them. Even when they do support Netflix, it tends to be the US version only. Which is what most people want, but which shouldn't be the most attractive version if you want content in Arabic. Content providers don't care about expats, unfortunately. At least since Turkey isn't in the EU, you'll still get to see the local version if you travel to another country. I haven't tested it myself, but based on what I read, we should be locked into our version even if we're abroad (at least within the EU, no idea what happens in non-EU countries). While the general idea behind that change was good (being able to use paid services in other EU countries), that detail isn't to everyone's liking.

So you might want to plan some holidays in an Arabic-speaking country. ;)
Please correct my mistakes!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-20, 13:05

Car wrote:At least since Turkey isn't in the EU, you'll still get to see the local version if you travel to another country.

I opened my Netflix account on my work computer, which is physically located in Belarus, and it showed me a different content: much less choice and English-language only, for both dubbing and subtitles.

I haven't tested it myself, but based on what I read, we should be locked into our version even if we're abroad (at least within the EU, no idea what happens in non-EU countries).

Does it mean that you get subtitles and dubbing in all the main European languages at once?

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-11-20, 13:28

voron wrote:
I haven't tested it myself, but based on what I read, we should be locked into our version even if we're abroad (at least within the EU, no idea what happens in non-EU countries).

Does it mean that you get subtitles and dubbing in all the main European languages at once?

I don't think so, AFAIK (but maybe someone with a Netflix account from the EU could confirm that) it just means that you get whatever your local version has no matter where in the EU you are, but it didn't change the content you get in your local version.
E.g. before you got the German version in Germany, the Spanish version in Spain etc., but if you signed up in Germany, you now should get the German version in Spain, too. There still are different national versions in the different EU countries, after all.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-06, 15:51

Guys just wanted to let you know, I am going back from Istanbul to Belarus with the intention to return to another city in Turkey (Istanbul turned to be problematic because of some reasons), so I am quite busy these days with preparations and stuff and don't have time for posting. I'll be back as soon as the fuss is over!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-12-06, 17:21

Good luck! I hope things will get better wherever you may go.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-12-06, 20:39

تروح وتجي بالسلامة ان شاء الله!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-06, 21:56

Thanks guys! Danke, sağolun و شكرا !

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-14, 20:19

I am back to Belarus and damn, was this week hectic. I could only read a few stories from an Arabic reader for our study group. Nothing for Kurdish. :( But I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-16, 11:41

The new year is approaching and I can't wait to summarize the achievements of this year, and set goals for the next one!

(tr) I took TYS (Türkçe Yeterlik Sınavı - Turkish Proficiency Exam) in Ankara and got a C1 certificate. I also read a few Turkish books, watched a few films, and of course spoke a lot, since I stayed in Turkey for most of the year. I am generally happy about my progress, although I could have read more.

Next year: Read more. I tried a few books translated from English into Turkish, didn't like the translation style, so it's going to be authentic Turkish, perhaps 1900-1950 classics.

(ku) I improved my vocabulary, mostly due to studying the 3rd level of the series Hînker together with Vijay in our study group. I noticed that my speaking improved too, but I mostly talk to myself :P because I feel more comfortable to speak Turkish with Kurds. This needs to be fixed. I need to find a person who speaks academic Kurdish, because "common" Kurds do not fully understand the standard, so the conversation does not flow.

Next year: Speak more. First in the academic Kurdish, and then start adapting my speech to dialects. Get familiar with different dialects (if I get a chance to obtain this information, either first-hand or from books). And finish Hînker!

(ar) My most stubborn language. I studied from the DLIFLC Levantine lessons which improved my listening comprehension somewhat, and then I studied MSA from the book Al-3arabiyya bayna yadayk in our study group. It's going too slow with respect to my main goal, which is communication.

Next year: Definitely, finish the reader Kalila wa Dimna Eskandar and I are doing together. I love this book.
Not so sure about Al-3arabiyya bayna yadayk, it's a bit boring. Overall I can't decide on which materials to use, and keep switching between books, songs, films, only dropping them soon after start. Perhaps I can go on with readers, if Eskandar finds more of them.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-19, 22:11

(ku) Good news at the end of the year. I found someone to do Kurdish-Russian language exchange with. We've had a few lessons, and they are going very well. Today I read a story in Kurdish, and then I retold it to her without looking at the text. This exercise is very useful for improving my speaking abilities.

Looks like I can get my Kurdish to B2 in the next year!

There is one mistake she corrected a few times when we were talking. Just like in Russian, but unlike in English, the words for a nationality and a language are different in Kurdish:
kurdî - a Kurdish language
kurd - a Kurdish person

I knew this rule, but I tend to forget about it when speaking, and produce phrases like:
*hevalên min yên tirkî
instead of the correct
hevalên min yên tirkan (my Turkish friends).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-23, 10:34

I've decided to put Arabic on a very light mode for the next year (or maybe six months or so), and dedicate most of my time to Kurdish.

I'll still finish the reader Kalila wa Dimna (and I have to catch up a few stories with Eskandar), but I won't continue with "Al-3arabiyya bayna yadayk". Perhaps I'll watch a movie from time to time. Or follow another resource that Eskandar finds.

Sorry Vijay for making your sweat over those 2 treatises at the end of the units in "Bayna yadak". I hope you learnt at least something from them. Now that I am dropping this book, and it seems like you prefer having a company rather than going through a resource on your own so you're likely to drop it as well, we can all join Eskandar in doing the reader.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-12-23, 20:26

Cool, we can all do Kalila wa Dimna together! I have some other Arabic readers in mind for when we finish this one. I will probably slow down a bit with Arabic as well and start focusing on Italian soon.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-27, 21:24

I started listening to radio dramas in Turkish on my way home from work. I walk for about 1 hour everyday so I wanted to complement this time with something language-related. I also considered doing Pimsleur Persian... but no, 1 more language would be too much.

I listened to two dramas yesterday and today:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Rp_jwAVz4Y4
https://youtube.com/watch?v=yEnd15zj-5U

I understand pretty much everything so it probably won't be too effective for improving my vocabulary or listening comprehension... but maybe it can improve my pronunciation?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-12-27, 21:47

voron wrote:I also considered doing Pimsleur Persian...

:doggy: I can't imagine how quickly you would pick up Persian, given the other languages you know...

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-28, 16:36

eskandar wrote:
voron wrote:I also considered doing Pimsleur Persian...

:doggy: I can't imagine how quickly you would pick up Persian, given the other languages you know...

I don't think I can learn any language fast. I am a slow learner. I'd say Persian would take me at least 2 years to reach B2. (Look at me and Kurdish: I started it 3 years ago, and I haven't reached B2 yet. And Kurdish is a relatively simple language.)

On the other hand, I tend not to forget what I learnt years ago, even if I don't practice it. I feel like my Serbian is still C1, even though I use it like twice a year, for the last 6-7 years or so.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-30, 14:28

voron wrote:Next year: Read more.

I thought it would be nice to keep a score of pages I read, just so that I get satisfied with my progress when I see a growing number. And to add it to my signature, together with all the other statistics. :)

So... for a start, I just read 30 pages of this book:

It's a collection of detective stories, with quite simple plots -- not a genre I usually like, but there are reasons I still want to read it:
1) I have this book in paper (it was given to me as a present several years ago when I was not able to read it yet)
2) The stories are set in Istanbul of 1930-50s, and since I have lived in this city, it's interesting to know what it was like in the past, and see descriptions of familiar places
Last edited by voron on 2019-01-02, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-02, 13:37

voron wrote:Sorry Vijay for making your sweat over those 2 treatises at the end of the units in "Bayna yadak".

It's okay!
I hope you learnt at least something from them.

Of course I did!
Now that I am dropping this book, and it seems like you prefer having a company rather than going through a resource on your own so you're likely to drop it as well

I actually am fine either way, but I consciously try to prioritize the study groups over self-study in order to help keep my study buddies motivated. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-01-06, 0:04

vijayjohn wrote:I actually am fine either way, but I consciously try to prioritize the study groups over self-study in order to help keep my study buddies motivated. :)

Thanks! Only a few of them are still active, aren't they? I can see ksiezycowy post updates in the German and Polish groups regularly, then there are our Kurmanji and Arabic groups, also there are occasional posts in the Old English, Sumerian and Hebrew groups... anything else?

I finished the book Kagıthane Faciası. Haven't yet chosen what to read next: it's going to be either a collection of stories of a famous early 20th century writer, or a Yaşar Kemal novel.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”