Old/Middle English Study Group

Moderator:Ashucky

sa wulfs
Re: Old/Middle English Study Group

Postby sa wulfs » 2018-11-26, 12:28

Thorn <þ> and eth <ð> (called "ðæt" in Old English) are effectively interchangeable. Earlier (9th century) texts heavily favour <ð>, whereas later texts use both frequently and although there might be some tendency to use <þ> word-initially and <ð> elsewhere, this is by no means a given.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-26, 21:35

sa wulfs wrote:Thorn <þ> and eth <ð> (called "ðæt" in Old English) are effectively interchangeable. Earlier (9th century) texts heavily favour <ð>, whereas later texts use both frequently and although there might be some tendency to use <þ> word-initially and <ð> elsewhere, this is by no means a given.

Thanks!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-28, 11:03

http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/oe/

Might be a nice supplement to Robinson & Mitchell.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-28, 15:28

księżycowy wrote:http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/oe/

Might be a nice supplement to Robinson & Mitchell.

It could be, but I question whether using a supplement at the same time as R&M is a good idea. All three of us are quite busy, barely having time for OE - it's a ancillary language for both you and me, and Vijay has a ton of other study groups he's part of, so much so that we are using biweekly goals. I think we could either use this resource after R&M (whether we actually finish R&M or decide to stop it at some point), or switch now to just this resource.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-28, 15:39

Good point.

I think I'd lean more towards sticking with Mitchell and Robinson for now, and save it for later, if it would be worth it. Plus it was a "if anyone wanted to use it they could" kinda thing. Not a necessary thing.

Either way, I wanted to share. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 16:31

I read § 4-9 and skimmed the "How to Use" section. I feel confident enough to move on to learning some paradigms.

The "How to" section recommends the "Key paradigms" first. Shall we start with the pronouns (§15-21) and the weak nouns (§ 22 and §63-65)? Is that too much for two weeks?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-02, 2:58

księżycowy wrote:I read § 4-9 and skimmed the "How to Use" section. I feel confident enough to move on to learning some paradigms.

The "How to" section recommends the "Key paradigms" first. Shall we start with the pronouns (§15-21) and the weak nouns (§ 22 and §63-65)? Is that too much for two weeks?

How many pages is that? I don't have the book with me right now.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-02, 12:08

2 and a half. It's mostly just paradigms.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-03, 21:15

księżycowy wrote:2 and a half. It's mostly just paradigms.

Then let's do it! Two and a half pages isn't challenging to get through for 2 weeks.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-04, 5:37

I finally finished reading the first reading assignment today. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-04, 17:59

księżycowy wrote:I read § 4-9 and skimmed the "How to Use" section. I feel confident enough to move on to learning some paradigms.

I just realized that you skipped §10-12, which I think gives some background to the pronouns and is also recommended in the " How to Use" section right after §9 and before the "Key paradigms".

So, let's do §§10-12, 15-21, 22, and 63-65.

Note: I noticed in the "How to" section that §13 is never mentioned. They do have us go over §14 at a later point, but what happened to §13? Also, they mention in parentheses that the dual forms in §21 may be passed over at first. I guess that means we should eventually learn it, but can skip it for now?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-04, 18:05

We don't understand what grammatical gender or inflections are? But sure, I guess.....? :whistle:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-04, 18:14

księżycowy wrote:We don't understand what grammatical gender or inflections are? But sure, I guess.....? :whistle:

Well, I think the 3 of us do know what both those terms mean, as well as the usage in §11 of case terms like nominative, etc, don't we?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-04, 18:16

Which is kind of why I skipped it. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-04, 18:17

księżycowy wrote:Which is kind of why I skipped it. :P

Oh, now I get it! I misunderstood your question! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-06, 14:42

I'm just starting to familiarize myself with se (let alone any of the other pronouns or nouns). I'm certainly glad we settled on bi-weekly check-ins. :P Busy week for me.

I'm torn between the idea of just familiarizing myself, and actually memorizing them.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-06, 23:11

księżycowy wrote:I'm torn between the idea of just familiarizing myself, and actually memorizing them.

I haven't started yet, but I'm going to just familiarize myself. This is, after all, a fun language for me. Plus I will eventually remember from the constant going back and reviewing that I'm sure I'll do.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-07, 4:56

Yeah, I haven't started yet, either. Guess why! :silly:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-07, 10:25

Cause you still need to stop studying [insert any language name here except Polish, German or Old English]?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-10, 6:02

Oh, even Seneca? :twisted:

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”