King-Size Translations

Moderator:voron

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: King-Size Translations

Postby voron » 2018-10-31, 9:48

vijayjohn wrote:Daha ağır ve daha bilinçli vakalar tedavi görüp kurtuluyorlar.
They're relieved upon seeing the remedy for more serious and more conscious phenomena.

More serious and recognized cases get treated and cured. (She means, serious diseases get cured, but cleanliness obsession doesn't).

Bu tür, canlıların kullanımına kapalı oda ve eşyaların sebebi temizliktir.
For these kinds of people, the reason for keeping their rooms closed and their furniture their whole lives is cleanliness.

The reason for this kind of rooms and furniture, which are closed for any living being's use, is cleanliness.

Ayakkabı çıkarılır, terlik giyilir, her şeye el sürülmez, el bezi verilir.
Shoes are taken off, sandals are worn, hands cannot touch anything, and hands are given cloth.

[...] and hand cloth is given. (El bezi is an izafe).

Oturup iki laf edemezsiniz; çünkü teyze halıdan ip, oradan buradan toz zerrecikleri ve en kötüsü üzerinizden saç toplamaktadır!
You can't get a word in edgeways with them once you've sat down because strings from an auntie's carpet, grains of dust here and there, and, worst of all, a hair from your head all accumulate!

[...] because the auntie is picking strings from the carpet, grains of dust from hear and there, and, worst of all, hair from your head!

Yemek ısmarlarsınız keyifle, teyze atılır: 'Ay bilmem ki ne yesem, bunların mutfağı da pistir!"
When you order food, the auntie gleefully begins, "Oh, I don't know what I'll eat; the whole kitchen is a pigsty!"

When you joyfully order food, the auntie breaks in [...]

Yukarıdaki laflan ederken sol eli, yüzün hemen yanında el sallar gibi iki kere sallayıp, sonra aynı elle ağzı kapatma hareketi!
A movement where, saying the above words, you sway your left hand like a raft twice right next to your face, then shut your mouth with the same hand!

Where did 'raft' come from? :o

Yani bu harekete eşlik etsin diye şöyle diyemezsiniz: "Ayy, ne çok e-mail gelmiş."
In other words, you don't just play along with this motion and say, "Ooh, how many e-mails I got coming in!"

In other words, you can't accompany this motion by saying, [...]

O hareketi layıkıyla yapabilmeniz için dolma sarabilmeniz, farklı kanepe kolu örtüsü çeşitlerine sahip olmanız ve temizlik konusunda ciddi takıntılarınızın olması gerekir.
If you can't do that motion properly, you must not know how to stuff grape leaves, have different kinds of couch arm covers, or seriously obsess over the topic of cleanliness.

To be able to do this motion properly, you must know how to stuff grape leaves [...]
Did you take yapabilmeniz, sarabilmeniz etc as negated forms? They are actually infinitives with possessive endings on them.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-10-31, 10:06

Just for the fun it, I want to highlight the difference in the word order in one of the sentences above.

Bu tür, canlıların kullanımına kapalı oda ve eşyaların sebebi temizliktir.
The reason for this kind of rooms and furniture, which are closed for any living being's use, is cleanliness.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-01, 3:52

voron wrote:
Yukarıdaki laflan ederken sol eli, yüzün hemen yanında el sallar gibi iki kere sallayıp, sonra aynı elle ağzı kapatma hareketi!
A movement where, saying the above words, you sway your left hand like a raft twice right next to your face, then shut your mouth with the same hand!

Where did 'raft' come from? :o

From sallar, because I can't tell what it's supposed to mean here, and one of the translations I got in tureng for sal was 'raft'. (Not sure why I made it one raft instead of multiple ones, though :P).
Did you take yapabilmeniz, sarabilmeniz etc as negated forms? They are actually infinitives with possessive endings on them.

Yeah, because I can never tell in context whether -ma and -me are supposed to be infinitive markers or negation markers, and I don't usually see them with inflectional endings.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-03, 20:07

I missed one typo:
vijayjohn wrote:Yukarıdaki laflan ederken sol eli, yüzün hemen yanında el sallar gibi iki kere sallayıp, sonra aynı elle ağzı kapatma hareketi!

El sallar: sallar here is the aorist of sallamak.

The sentence sounds weird: "she waves her left hand as if waving a hand". My Turkish friend says it's maybe because "el sallamak" is a fixed expression, while "sol eli sallamak" is not and may be interpreted as a different type of motion than waving, and he agrees that it sounds a bit weird.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-07, 5:13

Maybe it means 'she waves her hand like she does', i.e. she waves her hand in her customary fashion?

The next story is pretty long, so I decided to just try translating the first few lines this time.

İŞLER[, G]ÜÇLER, OFİSLER VE ÇALIŞMA HAYATI

Aylaklık hakkımı istiyorum!

En yoğun günler, sabahla[rı] bir elimde cep telefonu, bir elimde kalem, kucağımda kâğıtlar ve databankım[l]a, birileriyle tartışarak, stres içinde, dükkânların önünden geçerken, eski eşya satan amcala[r] güneşin altında, koltuklara yayılmış, günün ilk Türk kahvesini içiyor oluyorlar! Muhtemelen cumhuriyetin ilan edildiğinin bile farkında değiller! Kıskançlıktan çatlıyorum.

[İ]ki arkadaşımla öğle yemeğindeyiz.

Biri reklamcı, diğeri fınans sektöründe.

STRENGTHS, JOBS, OFFICES, AND WORK LIFE

I want my right to laziness!

On the busiest days and mornings, I have a cell phone in one hand and a pen in the other and papers in my lap while arguing with some people, with the databank :?:, tense, and drinking the first Turkish coffee of the day spread out on my chair while old men pass by the front of the shops selling old things under the sun! They were probably unaware that the republic was even founded! I'm dying of jealousy.

I'm having lunch with two friends.

One's an advertiser, and the other one's in the finance sector.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-07, 11:57

vijayjohn wrote:Maybe it means 'she waves her hand like she does', i.e. she waves her hand in her customary fashion?

To me it sounds more like "she waves her hand like people usually wave a hand" (because in el sallar we don't have an indication that it is her hand, but rather an indefinite hand). I don't know really, it just seems to be an odd sentence according to native speakers' opinion, too.

İŞLER[, G]ÜÇLER, OFİSLER VE ÇALIŞMA HAYATI
STRENGTHS, JOBS, OFFICES, AND WORK LIFE

Güç here means 'a problem', and 'iş güç' is a set expression which means something like 'all the chores and responsibilities'.

On the busiest days and mornings, I have a cell phone in one hand, a pen in the other, papers and in my lap while arguing with some people, with the databank :?:, tense, and drinking the first Turkish coffee of the day spread out on my chair while old men pass by the front of the shops selling old things under the sun!

On the busiest days, in the mornings, when I pass by in front of shops, with a cell phone in one hand and a pen in the other, papers and files in my lap, arguing with someone, old men who sell junk spread out on their chairs and drink their first Turkish coffee of the day under the sun.

I didn't know what databank is, so I googled, and it seems to be this:
https://www.hepsiburada.com/databank-la ... note058883

And it seems like they are sometimes called this way in English, too:
http://officerjonno.com/stationery/file ... -bank.html

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-10, 3:53

voron wrote:On the busiest days, in the mornings, when I pass by in front of shops, with a cell phone in one hand and a pen in the other, papers and files in my lap, arguing with someone, old men who sell junk spread out on their chairs and drink their first Turkish coffee of the day under the sun.

Okay, this time, not only did I get the translation wrong, but also I don't even understand the meaning after you've corrected my translation. :shock: How do you pass by a shop with things in your lap? Do you stop and sit down in between and then put things on your lap?

Anyway, here's my attempt at the next few lines of the story! :)

[İ]şten, güçten, sıkışıklıktan, stresten ve bayram tatilinde uzak bir adaya gidip bir daha dönmemekten bahsediyorduk ki, şu or[t]aya [ç]alışan kadınlar olarak, üçümüz de, Amerikan Güzeli filminin aynı yerine takılmışız:

Stres ve sorumluluktan fenalık geçirip, her şeyi bırakan işadamı ve aile babası Kevin Spacey'nin, hamburgerciden iş isterken, "Hiyerarşi veya ücret umurumda değil. Sadece en az sorumluluk isteyen pozisyona talibim!" dediği sahne.

Bayılmışız o repliğe!

We were talking about chores, responsibilities, congestion, stress, and going on holiday to a faraway island and never coming back when, as women who were working at the moment :?:, all three of us were fixed onto :?: the same part of the movie American Beauty:

The scene where, sick of stress and responsibility, businessman and family guy Kevin Spacey asks for a job from the lady flipping burgers, saying, "I don't care about the pecking order or salary. I'm only looking for the position that requires the least responsibility!"

We swooned at that line!

----

EDIT: Why do Gülse Birsel's Turkish translations of American movie quotes keep sounding so much more dramatic than the original lines? :lol:

Also, I decided to translate hamburgerci as "lady flipping burgers" because, well, in the movie, the person Spacey's character talks to is a lady flipping burgers. :P Also "flipping burgers" IME is the most common term for this line of work in American English.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-10, 10:39

vijayjohn wrote:How do you pass by a shop with things in your lap?

Oh sorry, kucağında means 'in your arms', like this:
Link to the article where this picture is used: http://www.gazetepusula.net/2016/10/05/ ... ar-tasidi/

I just thought that 'in your lap' can also mean 'in your arms' in English, that's why I didn't correct it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-11, 7:04

Ohh, right, I see, kucak can mean both 'lap' and 'arms'. :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-17, 23:45

vijayjohn wrote:[İ]şten, güçten, sıkışıklıktan, stresten ve bayram tatilinde uzak bir adaya gidip bir daha dönmemekten bahsediyorduk ki, şu or[t]aya [ç]alışan kadınlar olarak, üçümüz de, Amerikan Güzeli filminin aynı yerine takılmışız:
We were talking about chores, responsibilities, congestion, stress, and going on holiday to a faraway island and never coming back when, as women who were working at the moment :?:, all three of us were fixed onto :?: the same part of the movie American Beauty:

The "şu ortaya" part sounded like it is incomplete, so I looked for another instance of this text online, and I found this:
http://arsiv.sabah.com.tr/2002/02/24/c02.html

The correct text seems to be this:
İşten, güçten, sıkışıklıktan, stresten ve bayram tatilinden uzak bir adaya gidip, bir daha dönmemekten bahsediyorduk ki, şu ortaya çıktı: Çalışan kadınlar olarak, üçümüz de, "Amerikan Güzeli" filminin aynı yerine takılmışız.

And it means something like:
While we were talking about [...] going on holiday to a faraway island and never coming back, we discovered this : as working women, all three of us were affected by the same part of the movie American Beauty.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-19, 2:45

Thanks! :)

Next part!

Sonra teker teker döküldük.

Yapılacak işler listesi!

Üçümüz de stresten kurtulamıyoruz. Cumartesi günleri de, üstelik kendi isteğimizle, çalışmak zorunda kalıyoruz, genellikle yorgunuz ve hayatımızın bir döneminde doya doya yapmak istediğimiz şeyler var. Mesela:

• Öğle yemeğinde, saati kontrol etmeden tatlı ve kahve ısmarlayabilmek.

• Kuaföre acele etmeden gitmek, beklerken ikide bir saate bakıp huzursuzlanmadan dedikodu dergisi okuyabilmek.

• Hafta ortası alışverişe çıkmak.

• Ajanda, cep telefonu, kartvizitlik, telefon rehberi gibi eşyalari evde unutabilmek ve bunu fark edince kalp krizi geçirmemek. Hatta unuttu[ğ]unu fark etmemek!

• Evde oturup bütün gün kitap okuyabilmek.

• Sabah kalkıp, bugün ne yapsam diye düşünebilmek.

• Ve belki de en önemlisi, aylaklık lüksü. Dolanıp durup, oturup kalkıp, oradan oraya yatıp, tembellik yapmak. Oscar Wilde ne demiş? "Kesinlikle hiçbir şey yapmamak, dünyanın en zor şeyidir, en zor ve en entelektüel!"

Then, one by one, we fell to pieces. :?:

The list of chores to do!

None of the three of us can escape from stress. Even on Thursdays, and of our own accord on top of it all, we remain hard at work, we're generally busy, and there are things we want to do to our heart's content for a period of our lives, for example:

• Be able to order coffee and something sweet to eat with it at lunch without checking the time,

• Go to the hair salon without being in a hurry and be able to read gossip magazines every once in a while without looking at the watch and getting fidgety,

• Go out shopping in the middle of the week,

• Be able to forget things like the planner, cell phone, cardholder, and phone book, not having a heart attack upon noticing that we did, and even not notice that we forgot(!),

• Be able to stay at home reading books all day,

• Be able to wake up in the morning and think, "What am I going to do today?"

• And perhaps most importantly, the luxury of being lazy: Walking around and stopping, sitting down and getting up, lying around in bed :?:, goofing off. What did Oscar Wilde say? "To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world, the most difficult and the most intellectual!"

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-02, 13:12

vijayjohn wrote:Sonra teker teker döküldük.
Then, one by one, we fell to pieces.

Then one by one we confided.
http://tureng.com/en/turkish-english/i% ... %C3%B6kmek (it's a different expression but the verb is used in the same meaning in this sentence)

Cumartesi günleri de, üstelik kendi isteğimizle, çalışmak zorunda kalıyoruz, genellikle yorgunuz ve hayatımızın bir döneminde doya doya yapmak istediğimiz şeyler var.
Even on Thursdays, and of our own accord on top of it all, we remain hard at work, we're generally busy, and there are things we want to do to our heart's content for a period of our lives

çalışmak zorunda kalıyoruz - we are obliged to work, http://tureng.com/en/turkish-english/zorunda%20kalmak
yorgunuz - we're tired (you probably confused it with yoğun)

The rest is correct!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-10, 19:31

vijayjohn wrote:Sorumluluklar, tarihler, toplantılar, iç yazışmalar trafiğinde, hiçbir şeyi kaçırmadan, herkesten hızlı koşmaya çalışarak yaşayan bizler, en gergin günlerde hayalini kurduğumuz işlerden bahsetmeye başladık sonra.
We, who live in the traffic of responsibilities, dates, meetings, and internal memos while trying to run away from everyone and from not letting a single thing slip, then started talking about the chores we fantasized about on the most nerve-wracking days.

the things/activities we fantasized about

Muhtemelen dükkânlar babadan kalma, satışı artırmak gibi bir hedef de yok.
And the shops probably don't have a goal like increasing sales of heirlooms.

Probably their shops are heirlooms of their fathers, and they don't have a goal of increasing sales and such like.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-17, 23:05

Did you accidentally edit my post instead of quoting it? :P Never mind, I'll just try to translate it again but this time with your corrections! :D

Sorumluluklar, tarihler, toplantılar, iç yazışmalar trafiğinde, hiçbir şeyi kaçırmadan, herkesten hızlı koşmaya çalışarak yaşayan bizler, en gergin günlerde hayalini kurduğumuz işlerden bahsetmeye başladık sonra.

Finansçı arkadaşım bir kitapçı dükkânı açmak istiyor.

Reklamcı olan, tekel bayii hayal ediyor! "Stres yok, pazarlama yok, reklam yok. Fiyat belli, talep belli, al, sat, ne güzel!" diye açıkladı sebebini!

Eski eşya satsam?

Benim planım başka. Ben her sabah işe giderken önünden geçtiğim sıra sıra eski eşya satan dükkânlardan bir tanesini devralmayı kuruyorum.

Özellikle güneşli günlerde, kullanılmış sehpa, lamba, ıvır zıvır satan bu adamlar, eski koltukla[rı] kapının önüne koyup, açık havada sürekli çay kahve içerek etrafı seyredip, dükkândan dükkâna muhabbet ediyorlar. Zannediyorum Osmanlı'dan beri, nesiller boyu aynı işi yapmışlar.

Hatta belki cumhuriyetin ilan edildiğini bile bilmiyorlar!

Muhtemelen dükkânlar babadan kalma, satışı artırmak gibi bir hedef de yok. Daha doğrusu satış rakamları, talep ve cirolar, kader-kısmet dengesine oturtulmuş!

En yoğun günler, sabahları bir elimde cep telefonu, bir elimde kalem, kucağımda kâğıtlar, dergiler ve databankımla, birileriyle tartışarak, stres içinde, bu dükkânların önünden geçerken, amcalar, güneşin altında, koltuklara yayılmış, günün ilk Türk kahvesini içiyor oluyorlar!

We, who live in the traffic of responsibilities, dates, meetings, and internal memos while trying to run away from everyone and from not letting a single thing slip, then started talking about the things we fantasized about on the most nerve-wracking days.

My financier friend wants to open a bookstore.

The one who's an advertiser dreams of having a liquor store! She explained her reason by saying, "There's no stress, no marketing, and no advertising. The prices are clear, the sales are clear, buy, sell, how nice!"

What if I sold old junk?

My plan is different. I plan to take over one of the shops selling old junk in rows that I pass in front of on the way to work every morning.

These men selling coffee tables, lamps, and other knick-knacks, especially on sunny days, put their old chairs in front of the doors, look around them while continuously drinking tea or coffee in the open air, and chat from one shop to another. I guess they've been doing the same work for generations since Ottoman times.

Maybe they didn't even know that the republic was founded, either!

Probably their shops are heirlooms of their fathers, and they don't have a goal of increasing sales and such. More accurately, sales prices, sales, and revenues were fitted to the balance of fate and destiny!

On the busiest days, in the mornings, while I pass in front of these shops with a cell phone in one hand, a pen in the other, and papers, magazines, and files in my arms, stressed out, and arguing with someone, old men spread out on their chairs drink their first Turkish coffee of the day under the sun!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-17, 23:11

vijayjohn wrote:Did you accidentally edit my post instead of quoting it? :P Never mind, I'll just try to translate it again but this time with your corrections! :D

Damn, sorry! IpseDixit asked in another thread if he's the only one doing this; apparently he is not! And I didn't even notice I edited it.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-01-02, 14:54

Vijay, there is nothing to correct in your last post, so you can move on to translating the next story!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-08, 8:09

Okay, but I think I'm ready to get started with "Kalemler" by Yaşar Kemal as you said in your TAC thread! :) I found it here: https://www.aymavisi.org/hikaye/Kalemle ... Kemal.html, but I can't seem to copy-paste anything from there, so I'm typing it out by hand, at least for now. :P

Kalemler
Yaşar Kemal

Şehirlerin en önemli yerlerinden birisi de çöplükleridir. Çöplüklerin şehirler için gerekli değil, bu kadar önemli olduğu hiç aklınıza geldi mi? Bir büyük şehir çöplüğünü görünceye kadar bunu ben de bilmiyordum. Bir çöplük, bence bir şehir demektir.

Pens
Yaşar Kemal

One of the most important places in cities is their garbage dumps. Garbage dumps aren't necessary for a city; has it ever occurred to you that they could be so important? I didn't know, either, until I saw a big city's garbage dump. In my opinion, a garbage dump means a city.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-01-08, 21:59

Thanks for starting it! It's a bit longish so I thought I could choose a different story, but if you don't mind 40 something pages, we can go ahead. Here is a link you can copy-paste from
http://www.neokuyorum.org/kalemler/

(It's only a part of the story. I'll find the full text later).

vijayjohn wrote:Çöplüklerin şehirler için gerekli değil, bu kadar önemli olduğu hiç aklınıza geldi mi?

Garbage dumps aren't necessary for a city; has it ever occurred to you that they could be so important?

Has it ever occurred to you that garbage dumps are not (just) necessary -- they are so important?

I don't have time today to continue the translation, but I'll try to do it next time!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-11, 5:55

Okay, take your time! I can wait. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-03, 18:29

Okay, now that we've decided to move back to Gayet Ciddiyim!, I'm baffled by the first paragraph of the next story, so I'm going to just post what I have of that so you can tell me what it's really supposed to mean. :P

KISKANÇLIKTAN ÇATLIYORUM!

Ev kadınlarıyla iş kadınlarını karşılaştıran, evin insanı yutma[s]ıyla ilgili yazım tahminimin üzerinde ilgi gördü. Ben Ev Kadınlarını Koruma ve Güzelleştirme Derneği'nden (!) kınama beklerken, özellikle ev kadınları, e-mailler, hatta telefonlarla, yazıyı çok beğendiklerini, erteledikleri planlarını gerçekleştirmeye karar verdiklerini ilettiler.

I'M CRAZY JEALOUS!

Interest grew regarding my opinion piece about the house that faces housewives and working women alike swallowing them. :?: While awaiting criticism of the Association for Protecting and Beautifying Housewives(!), housewives in particular sent e-mails, even by phone, whose plans we enjoyed writing a lot but procrastinated on yet decided to act on. :?:

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”