Arabic Study Group

Moderator:eskandar

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Arabic Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-07, 5:10

Saim wrote:Do you recommend the later dialogues in chapter 3?

Yes, especially because most of them are kind of long. One of them is an exercise where you listen to a conversation and figure out what facilities are located on which floor of a ten-story hotel.
voron wrote:You mean "Lesson 9", right?

:P .نعم
I listened to that exercise again, and I think the last answer should be ج (because the friends were building a mosque, so they didn't spend their holiday in the mosque).

!شكرا

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-17, 11:29

I am posting a simple and short recipe (now I am hungry :P )

https://youtu.be/edXTJItOHI4

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-19, 19:35

Antea wrote:I am posting a simple and short recipe (now I am hungry :P )

Sounds very Levantine (not sure which country, Syria maybe?) :)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-19, 21:51

I did lesson 15 of Arabiyya Bayna Yadayk.

The dialog about a man who wanted to divorce his wife was fun, but the listening comprehension text about a happily married family was boring.

New words:
مُؤَدَّب well-mannered
مُطِيع obedient, disciplined
فِعْلاً really, indeed
مُهْمِل careless, inattentive
اِهْتَمَّ to be interested
عَنِيد stubborn
يَتَكَوَّن consists of

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-20, 1:50

I did lesson 10 and listened to all of the conversations for lesson 4 in the Syrian book as well as the first wordlist.
voron wrote:The dialog about a man who wanted to divorce his wife was fun, but the listening comprehension text about a happily married family was boring.

:lol: You like drama!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-21, 22:58

vijayjohn wrote::lol: You like drama!

You bet! Especially when it's accompanied by a picture like this:
You miserable woman! Why haven't you washed my socks?

...Just kidding, the real text is not that sexist. :D

I did lesson 16. New words from this lesson:
اِخْتِفاء disappearance
يَضُمّ he includes, incorporates
أَخْتَف to vanish, disappear
مُعْظَم الوقت most of the time
من ناحِيَة أُخْرَى on the other side
يُغادِر he departs
مُتْعَب tired, weary
يَقُوم he gets up, he undertakes
إِعْداد preparation

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-29, 1:43

I just read through the thread since I've last been here and thought I'd correct this older post of yours, voron, in case it's helpful (minor corrections):
voron wrote:My answer:
► Show Spoiler

Is anyone interested in working through Munther Younes's Tales from Kalila wa Dimna with me? The text and audio can be found online (PM me if you can't find them). It's one of the great works of "eastern" literature (hard to pin down as it circulated through Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic, and other languages). The text is great for learners and even has comprehension and discussion questions we could answer together on here.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-29, 6:10

Voron, can I please, please skip these walls of text at the end of every unit about Islam And You? :doggy: This shit is way beyond my level. It's like a first-year Russian student trying to read Война и миръ in the original, complete with pre-reform spelling, by looking up every word in a dictionary. :shock: I tried translating most of the text for Lesson 12, and it makes zero sense. :( This book may be less advanced that what we've been using for Kurmanji so far, but at least the Kurmanji book doesn't include long theological treatises.

That being said, here's the nonsense I got:

The human soul gets bored with seriousness and work, and a lot of work makes it bored, so the precepts of Islam allow the human to revive himself with permissible entertainment from time to time and to engage in permissible leisure activities, as long as he returns to his normal state with physical (bodily), spiritual, and intellectual benefits and resumes his activity in life and it pursues him harder in work and worship. :?:

We have a good example in the Prophet of God, may God honor Him and grant Him peace, and he laughed and joked with his remark about the faithful. :?: His companions told him, with God's approval on them, "You play with us!" :?: and He, peace and prayers be upon him, said, "I do not speak the truth." :?:

According to Him, may God honor Him and grant Him peace, the wife of an old Ansari came and said, "I ask God to put me in Hell." He said to her, "O mother of someone, you do not enter Hell as an old person," and the woman began to weep; however, He thought she was smiling and said to her, "God, may He be exalted, said, 'We have created them a new creation and made them virgins, lovers, friends.'" :?:

And a man came to ask Him to give him alms in the form of a camel, and the Prophet, may God honor Him and grant Him peace, said to him, "I will carry you to the son of the she-camel." The man said to Him, "O Prophet of God, what will I do with the son of a she-camel?" and the Prophet, may God honor Him and grant Him peace, said to him, "Do camels give birth to she-camels?!" :?:

His companions, may God be pleased with them, were serious and working hard but playing among themselves and reviving themselves by practicing some permissible activities, but that didn't decrease the amounts of work they did. :?: Ali bin Abi Talib says, "If hearts get bored like bodies do, then they want a change in routine." :?:

Islam endorses leisure activities but doesn't agree regarding their quantity, morality, and etiquette. :?: It doesn't make the practice of leisure activity its goal or make use of pastimes, but rather makes use of the investment of pastimes for resuming activity and to help with (the struggles of) life. :?:

Permitting leisure does not mean that life becomes all play or that a happy spirit overcomes a serious one. Thus, elements of strength vanish, and Muslims fall behind in the undertaking of their duties. It is performed among them based on factors of love and brotherhood. :?: Society greets it obliviously and frivolously, but life is more precious than vanishing into frivolous entertainment. :?: It is considered invalid in the void from its past. :?:
eskandar wrote:Is anyone interested in working through Munther Younes's Tales from Kalila wa Dimna with me?

Yes, please, anything but what I just tried to do for almost a week!

Also, are you really still "away until further notice"? I sooooo want to pick your brains for every language you know, but especially Persian!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-29, 10:18

vijayjohn wrote:Voron, can I please, please skip these walls of text at the end of every unit about Islam And You?

Sure! We're doing it for fun, so feel free to skip anything that is not fun for you. (We skip exercises here and there from the Kurmanji book, too).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-29, 10:28

eskandar wrote:Is anyone interested in working through Munther Younes's Tales from Kalila wa Dimna with me?

You guys start and I'll see if I can resist the temptation. I'm trying to be faithful to one book, but even then it's going very slow.

Thanks for the corrections, Eskandar! The fact that I read the pics from left to right shows how hard-wired the left-to-right direction in my brain is.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-29, 13:27

voron wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Voron, can I please, please skip these walls of text at the end of every unit about Islam And You?

Sure! We're doing it for fun, so feel free to skip anything that is not fun for you. (We skip exercises here and there from the Kurmanji book, too).

Yay, thanks! :)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-29, 16:37

vijayjohn wrote:Also, are you really still "away until further notice"? I sooooo want to pick your brains for every language you know, but especially Persian!

I'm back for now, ask away!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-29, 17:27

eskandar wrote:I'm back for now, ask away!

Before Vijay steals you, there is a question I want to ask.

I don't have time today to correct all of Vijay's translation, but there is one paragraph that I'm not sure I understood right myself, so I want you Eskandar to double-check it.

The text is called Rest in Islam, and it talks about the importance of taking a break from work, having fun, and joking around with your friends (as long as it's not insulting anyone's feelings). The paragraph in question is this:
https://ibb.co/02RtJLZ

My translation:
And once happened to Him (prophet Muhammad) -- may God honor Him and grant Him peace -- that an old Ansarian (name of a tribe) woman came to Him and said: I pray to Allah that He let me enter the Paradise. And He said to her: Oh mother of such and such, indeed, old people don't enter the Paradise. And the woman started crying, and when He saw it (from her), He smiled and said to her: Haven't you read what Allah, may He be exalted, said? "Indeed, We have produced them into a creation, and We have made them virgins, devoted, equals in age."
(The quoted verse from Quran is this: http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp? ... 6&verse=35)

Muhammad apparently joked with the woman. What Quran really talks about in this verse, are young virgins which will accompany the believers in the Paradise. It doesn't have to do anything with the age at which the believers enter the Paradise.

Is my understanding correct? There should be a hadith upon which this paragraph is based, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

(The text was actually quite fun, I liked it).

(And Vijay, it was جنة , why Hell? :))

(EDIT: And I am looking forward to seeing what the final text in the unit about marriage will be about. Vijay, you gonna miss it if you decide to skip the final texts. :whistle: :D )

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-29, 20:23

I think you've understood correctly. This is the hadith, which might help shed some light on the joke (the subtext being that there is no age distinction in heaven as old women are made into young virgins again). The one (minor) thing I would quibble with is that Ansari is not the name of a tribe, but of the group of the Prophet's helpers, who themselves belonged to multiple tribes.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-30, 5:10

Vijay, do you want to join me with the third story from Kalila wa Dimna, اللص وشعاع النور ? I'll put my notes behind a spoiler so you can read the text yourself first.

► Show Spoiler

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-30, 5:40

Okay, sure! But what do I do? Just read it and ask you if I have any questions? :hmm:

I wonder how many of these stories I'll recognize. I used to read Panchatantra stories before going to sleep when I was growing up. :P Not all that many, though.
eskandar wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Also, are you really still "away until further notice"? I sooooo want to pick your brains for every language you know, but especially Persian!

I'm back for now, ask away!

Well, for Persian, I already have! :whistle: Merci! :D
voron wrote:The text was actually quite fun, I liked it

I was baffled by this text. :P
(And Vijay, it was جنة , why Hell? :))

Because I confused it with Jahannam :lol:
(EDIT: And I am looking forward to seeing what the final text in the unit about marriage will be about. Vijay, you gonna miss it if you decide to skip the final texts. :whistle: :D )

Yeah, but it might also give me a chance to get caught up with you and not leave you to do Kurdish all on your own! :P And my Arabic is waaaaaaaaaaay worse than yours. :doggy:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-30, 17:24

vijayjohn wrote:But what do I do? Just read it and ask you if I have any questions? :hmm:

Read and then read my notes, I posed a question there that we can discuss. And yes, if you have questions, ask those, too!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-30, 19:04

It might be inspiring for some of you. Personally, I am more frustrated after seeing this, but I am also resolved to improve, as I see that is doable :yep:

https://youtu.be/kmgxnThwZ-A

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-30, 19:55

You shouldn't be frustrated. He speaks fluently, but makes mistakes and doesn't have a very good accent. He lives in Jordan - if you lived in an Arab country you'd soon be able to speak like him, or better!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-11-30, 20:17

Thanks! Already feeling better :D :yep:

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”