Wanderlust support group 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Widukind
Re: Wanderlust support group 5

Postby Widukind » 2018-11-14, 9:17

I have a burning desire to learn a Northern Tungustic language. I have no idea why. Maybe, deep down, I want to live in Siberia. I see no reason to not learn one.

Chukchi (or another language of that family) seems attractive, too.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-11-15, 15:35

Swedish again. I blame it on the snow; hopefully it will pass soon.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 21:43

Lur wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Join our Icelandic study group then! :silly: Or maybe teach me Basque?

You can't trust my tiny Basque but I'm totally looking for resources to maybe study it again.

BASQUE STUDY GROUP!
księżycowy wrote:I'm becoming distracted by Chinese and Korean....

I'm so bad at Korean it's ridiculous. I tried studying it with someone on this forum once before, but they never did really manage to stick to a language with me. :P
linguoboy wrote:Kalaw Lagaw Ya.

Isn't it so fascinating? I started studying it last year, if I'm remembering right.
voron wrote:I am in Antalya again, and hearing German all around makes me wanderlust for German.

If I ever decide to learn another European language, that will be German for sure.

And if I decide to permanently stay in Antalya and quit my boring programming job (which does cross my mind from time to time), Turkish+English+Russian+Arabic+German will be a killing combo for working in the tourism sector. I'll literally be everyone's babelfish.

Well, I can help you with German. :D
księżycowy wrote:Hungarian.

Ooh, let's do a Hungarian study group! Maybe. Someday. Or someone else can do one with me. And make you jealous. :twisted:
Yasna wrote:Italian. WHY??!!!!

Itikar wrote:Image

kevin wrote:Not being accepted because you're not Gaelic enough is just one of the unhelpful things I mentioned that happen in the Irish language community.

This seems to be a thing among some Indians as well; they think if you're not a native speaker, you'll never learn the language, but I think this is mostly just a symptom of our inferiority complex. We notice that no one wants to learn our languages, but instead of understanding that this is in large part due to a certain series of historical events, some of us reinforce that belief by discouraging people who express interest in it. It doesn't help in our case at least.
Widukind wrote:I have a burning desire to learn a Northern Tungustic language. I have no idea why. Maybe, deep down, I want to live in Siberia. I see no reason to not learn one.

Chukchi (or another language of that family) seems attractive, too.

Evenki and/or Chukchi study groups, anyone?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 22:21

Now who's going overboard, Vijay? :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 23:39

Whaddya mean "now"?! I have LIDS, dammit! I always go overboard!

Widukind

Postby Widukind » 2018-11-19, 10:21

8-)

I’m going to add Scythian... but we all know that will probably never happen. :| R.I.P.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-11-19, 10:31

vijayjohn wrote:Whaddya mean "now"?! I have LIDS, dammit! I always go overboard!

https://www.lids.com/
Are their hats good?

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2018-11-19, 12:20

I feel like learning a new language, but then again I should be focusing on the ones I already speak... :lol:
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-11-19, 13:37

Iván wrote:I feel like learning a new language, but then again I should be focusing on the ones I already speak... :lol:

+1 :ohwell:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 13:39

All work and no play... :whistle:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-11-19, 13:44

księżycowy wrote:All work and no play... :whistle:

You can have fun with your long-term languages, too. :whistle:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-19, 14:14

Yeah, but it's nice to stretch your legs every so often and do things just purely for the fun of it. :P

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2018-11-19, 14:29

Let's see....
I'm in Thailand right now, so Thai*, obviously. I've already started tending to this to some extent by subscribing to a $1 1 month trial of a Thai language learning podcast.
Iraqi Arabic, because my gf has started watching Lost and I am re-watching parts of it with her and anyone who's seen it knows there is an Iraqi character in it (played by an (English-born) Indian dude, funnily enough).
Vietnamese, because I am going there next.
Indonesian / Malay, because I am in the region, were previously in Bali and will probably go to Malaysia at some point.
Persian (I have said this a thousand times at this point), because it's still an awesome language and I'm in a FB group that will probably be learning it in the upcoming months (it's a language learning challenge thing, I just follow it, but don't partake actively). I also really want to go to Iran at some point, stupid US regulations are holding me back (I probably want to go to the US in the not so distant future and I'd lose my visa waiver privileges if I went to Iran and in my current situation - no steady job/fluctuating income, no kids, no property, no business tying me down etc. - I'd be hard-pressed to get an actual visa. So right now in my head - and this is sadly somewhat realistic - it comes down to not going to Iran or never being able to go to America again (unless I make it big and can rub my bank account statement in their faces :-D).

*Central Thai, for practical reasons.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-11-28, 9:21

Recently I've been feeling like going fully local. Give up the likes of Latin, French, and Ancient Greek for good, and just get into Cantonese, Mandarin and Punjabi full-force instead. Give up so much book learning at home and learn more from actual people and the material world outside near me...

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-11-28, 10:53

Why not a bit of both? Book learning at home and the material world outside you?
Please correct my mistakes!

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-11-28, 21:35

Car wrote:Why not a bit of both? Book learning at home and the material world outside you?

I posted that at about 3 AM if I remember correctly. New ideas always seem quite good to me at 3 AM.

Yeah, you're right, I should probably do a bit of both. Thanks for your comment.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-11-29, 5:10

Ser wrote:
Car wrote:Why not a bit of both? Book learning at home and the material world outside you?

I posted that at about 3 AM if I remember correctly. New ideas always seem quite good to me at 3 AM.

Yeah, you're right, I should probably do a bit of both. Thanks for your comment.

:lol: You're welcome. You've spent years learning those languages after all, haven't you?
Please correct my mistakes!

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-12-09, 23:43

Moroccan Arabic

Albanian

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-10, 22:32

Today I met two Tadjik speakers whose Russian was very weak, and it made me regret I don't speak any Tadjik or Persian.

EDIT: It seems like many Unilangers have a "fun" language; should I make mine Tadjik? :whistle:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-12-12, 13:47

voron wrote:Today I met two Tadjik speakers whose Russian was very weak, and it made me regret I don't speak any Tadjik or Persian.

EDIT: It seems like many Unilangers have a "fun" language; should I make mine Tadjik? :whistle:

Ҳа!

Return to “General Language Forum”